Was Pleasantly Satisfied w/ Royal Revenge

Started by P. Walker, March 28, 2012, 06:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

P. Walker

During the past week I've been scouring thrift stores and my local used book store to find HB Casefiles and ND Files, needing to (finally) finish up my collection. There was only one or two Casefiles, and about seven or eight SuperMysteries and I picked those up. (There were tons of ND Files, so i wasnt to concerned about those) Anyway, reading the back blurb of Royal Revenge, i thought it was gonna be cheesy. I mean, whether its a ND/HB or not, we've all seen/read it before: fictional country...and the royal angle...someone, usually the main characters friend falls for the heir to the throne...blah blah. Interesting enough, I suppose a talented writer can make even the most cheesiest plot interesting, becuase thats exactly what "Carolyn Keene" did with Royal Revenge. Bess in love with a rock star who just might be a killer and Frank and Joe are sent to River Heights to track down an assassin. The action moved at a good pace--the rooftop chase scene was done really well!!--and the writing was top-notch although at times it felt more like Nancy was taking control of things while the Hardys were just along for the ride. My only gripe--and it's not really gripe per se b/c it did lend to the humor--but they made Joe more of a clown in this book. There was a few scenes where he's theorizing who the killer is and stuff and I couldnt help but think of the Young ScoobyDoo Mysteries (or whatever the title of it was. The late 80s/ early 90s ScoobyDoo cartoon where the gang are all kids) and he came across exactly like Freddie...always giving the wrong hypothesis. I digress, of course, but other than that I have no qualms about the book and if you guys/girls havent read it, please do so.

PS: The history lesson regarding Panaslava also comes off as realistic as well. I suppose it helped that I remember when a lot of those Communist countries were breaking up after the Wall came down.
Now to start on New Years Evil

Hardy Sleuth

That is fun searching through used book sales! ;D I love getting to do so (I'm especially looking for more Hardy Boys Mystery Stories). 8) I enjoy reading well-written action, so that aspect of the book sounds really good. With what you said, the author sure didn't write Joe correctly, though, unless he was just joking with all of the incorrect theories. Humor should be written in a way that is true to the character then it will be funny (and funnier), and also accurate. Joe has a sharp wit and is very intelligent, and the thing is his gut instinct is pretty good.  8) I would want to read the action scenes. ;D
Joe Hardy said "Iola is alive, I can feel it. I couldn't feel this strongly about someone who was dead."

"Then I won't tell you to give up hope," Frank said softly. 8)

MacGyver

I recall reading Royal Revenge some years ago around when it first released- after this review, I will have to reread it when I get a chance.
QuoteThere was a few scenes where he's theorizing who the killer is and stuff and I couldnt help but think of the Young ScoobyDoo Mysteries (or whatever the title of it was. The late 80s/ early 90s ScoobyDoo cartoon where the gang are all kids) and he came across exactly like Freddie...always giving the wrong hypothesis. I digress, of course, but other than that I have no qualms about the book and if you guys/girls havent read it, please do so.
That cartoon is called A Pup Named Scooby-Doo actually and it's one of my favorite Scooby-Doo incarnations ever! ;D
(I love Scooby-Doo in general, but that one's a favorite for me probably because I grew up with it.)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

It's been years since I read "Royal Revenge",  but I.do remember that it's a sequel to "Dead On Arrival".
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

That would explain why Frank and Joe are once again in River Heights.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"