Were any 1-38 revised text editions published w/ dust jackets?

Started by OldHardyBoysFan, December 10, 2017, 04:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldHardyBoysFan

I have been looking thru my old Hardy Boys book collection for the first time in 40 years! 

Back in the 1970's I read the first 56 of the series.   All my copies that I bought new were the picture cover versions of course.  I only owned maybe 25 of them, but I read the rest thru the library.  I realized at some point that there were two versions of at least some of the older ones.   For most of 1-38, I have no idea if the ones I read from the library were the new or revised versions.   I do remember reading both versions of The Disappearing Floor, and I definitely read the originals of Melted Coins and Broke Blade.   I was looking thru my old Hardy Boys and was pleased to find that my copy of #38 Mystery at Devil's Paw was an original text copy. 

All this reminiscing got me to looking at some of the main online web sites on the Hardy Boys.  Despite the wealth of info, I am not clear on some things:   

Were any #1-38 revised text editions published w/ dust jackets, before the switchover to picture covers?  If so I'm thinking that 1, 2, 11, and 14 would be the only most likely volumes for this to have happened.

I suspect that this is an easy question for many of you.    :)

tomswift2002

From 1959 to 1973 the Stratemeyer Syndicate undertook the massive project of revising #'s 1-38.  For #'s 1-23 this meant anything from an edit to get them down to 20 chapters and about 180 pages, all the way to a complete rewrite of the story, such as "The Melted Coins" and "Footprints Under The Window".  In a number of cases, such as Footprints, this was to remove racial slurs and politically incorrect stereotypes.  The Detective Handbook was also revised in 73, but this was mostly due to the original consultant being arrested in a corruption probe in New Jersey (he was later acquitted).  #'s 24-38 were simple edits to get the books down to 20 chapters.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

CalvinKnox

The first few years they still had dust jackets on the revised text, since the picture covers didn't come out until the early 60s.  I have House on the Cliff revised with dust jacket but same picture as the later picture covers.  The lowest number picture cover I have in the original text is 13.

tomswift2002

The Dustjackets went till 1961 with Mystery Of The Desert Giant; the PC's started in 62.  Hidden Harbor was suppose to be the first PC, but because of overstock it appeared in DJ first.suppose to be the first issued in PC in 61, but
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

OldHardyBoysFan

Thanks for all the info!   

After looking into this more, I believe 1, 2, and 14 were the only revised editions published in the dust jacket editions.

tomswift2002

As I said, #14 was suppose to be the first in PC, but G&D had printed too many dustjackets during their last run of the OT.

OldHardyBoysFan

Is the information on the excess dust jackets something that came from the Stratemeyer Syndicate records, or is it a conclusion collectors have draw from reviewing the publication history of the various formats?

OldHardyBoysFan

Quote from: OldHardyBoysFan on December 13, 2017, 02:38:24 PM
Is the information on the excess dust jackets something that came from the Stratemeyer Syndicate records, or is it a conclusion collectors have draw from reviewing the publication history of the various formats?

I should have added if the info came from G&D records?? 

Just wondering.....

tomswift2002

As I recall, James Keeline mentioned in an email years ago that it was in some G&D Records.  However he also pointed out that the interior pages are printed separately from the covers, and they usually rint more covers than needed, just so that the next time that they need to print the interior pages, they have some covers already made, or vice versa.

OldHardyBoysFan