December 2010 Book Club Discussion- The Mystery of Cabin Island

Started by MacGyver, December 17, 2010, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

Okay, I thought I'd go ahead and get this thread up for discussion of The Mystery of Cabin Island. Whether you read the original or the revised version, it is a fun read particularly at winter time. In fact, this is one of the only of the Original 58 books that I can think of that mentions The Hardy Boys celebrating Christmas and so for many Hardy Boys fans, this is a favorite Christmas reading.
So I thought it'd be fun to take up that tradition for this Christmas. So yeah- Merry Christmas! :)
I'm especially interested to hear from anyone who maybe have read the Original Text versus the Revised Text- it's always neat to see what differences are there. In either case, it's good to see the Hardy Boys' chums around in this story and the ice yacht scenes were pretty cool too.
Anyway, let the discussions begin! 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

hardygirl847

I have a confession...I thought I had this book until I realized I didn't just a day or two ago. LOL So luckily I found it at a local bookstore. I'm making head way for sure and hope to finish it tonight...

Are there other books that mention them going to church? To me, that was different than other books I've read. It makes sense since this book revolves around Christmas but I thought it was interesting.

I definitely have the RT so hopefully all the good parts weren't taken out. lol

Merry (early) Christmas to you all too. :) I am hoping to have a surprise in store for you soon.
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

MacGyver

To answer your question, the Hardy Boys are definitely mentioned as going to church in more than just this book. It's in both the Original and Revised texts. I think this is part of their image- as good, God-fearing, church-going guys. I'd like to think they were Christians of course, though I don't know that any of the books ever really get that specific. But yes, they believe in God and believe in going to church- and not just at Christmas. Some of the original texts make a point of mentioning that the Hardy Boys would resume their investigation Sunday afternoon after church services. I think that was in The House on the Cliff. I recall reading a Nancy Drew book some years ago (also one of the Original books-revised text though) that mentioned her going to church and even that the pastor's sermon was about lying. It's never made to be a huge thing necessarily, but I think this is also part of the culture of the time the books were written that it was much more of a societal expectation people should be at church on Sunday morning and keeping The Lord's Day holy. (And we should- but we should go to church and honor the Sabbath to learn more about God and because you want to, not for social concerns. Of course, not everyone did then and not everyone does now.) Anyway, that's my take on it.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

I just finished the 1929 version today and was it ever fun.  But, it's surprising how good Leslie McFarlane managed to make this story---even when there was only 3 bad guys in the whole story, a similar story device to the usual 3 bad guys per trilogy in the Undercover Brothers, McFarlane had them working together and he was able to keep them interesting (and he even had one whole chapter devoted to them making up a plan) and to keep the suspense about when they were coming back up to where you were concerned about the boys safety (something which the current writer's of the Undercover Brothers are not able to do).

Rating: A+
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

Cool! Glad you liked the book so well. I guess there's a reason why this is considered one of the best and most popular of The Hardy Boys books. :)

hardygirl847

After finishing it,  I definitely liked it a lot. I enjoyed Biff and Chet's addition to the story. The suspense was definitely a page turner. The resolution didn't come to the very end and was wrapped up somewhat quickly, but that's okay. I was worried for Joe, and biting my nails during the iceboat crash, etc.

The "ghost" was an interesting addition to a story around Christmastime. :)

All in all, it was a really good one. I really want to read the OT since the RT could be missing something that made it so special. Now to hunt that down...lol

Also, the more Originals I read, the more I realize how similar the boys are. During the bluespines, I find that they are more evenly matched than say in the Casefiles or later. Leslie and the other earlier ghostwriters seem to make them more like each other and less one way or the other (hotheaded, etc).

Does anyone else see that or am I going crazy?
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

Olivia

I actually just read this yesterday! Didn't know this was the book for the month, but should've guessed -- Christmas and all.

Quote from: Captain Santa Claus on December 18, 2010, 09:04:49 PM
But, it's surprising how good Leslie McFarlane managed to make this story---even when there was only 3 bad guys in the whole story, a similar story device to the usual 3 bad guys per trilogy in the Undercover Brothers, McFarlane had them working together and he was able to keep them interesting...

I agree. McFarlane has a very engaging writing style.

He also manages to have us react -- like when Joe was disgusted with Hanleigh, so were we.

I think we're really placed into the shoes of Frank and Joe. We laugh when they laugh (i.e. with Chet) or we're compassionate when they're compassionate (i.e. with Johnny and Mr. Jefferson), and so on.

Quote from: hardygirl847 on December 19, 2010, 12:48:48 PM
After finishing it,  I definitely liked it a lot. I enjoyed Biff and Chet's addition to the story.

Also, the more Originals I read, the more I realize how similar the boys are. During the bluespines, I find that they are more evenly matched than say in the Casefiles or later. Leslie and the other earlier ghostwriters seem to make them more like each other and less one way or the other (hotheaded, etc).

Does anyone else see that or am I going crazy?

Not at all. The exact same thing ran through my mind while I was reading. I noticed that Frank and Joe seem to be very similar a lot of times.

I also find that the supporting characters (Biff, Chet, Aunt Gertrude, etc.) are very richly described and developed. Chet and Aunt Gertrude provide good comic relief, and I like how Biff is always up for a fight lol. Not to mention, there's Ike and Tad, the "roughnecks".

MacGyver

One thing I've definitely noticed in this book particularly, but also in the Original Text books in general- I can really tell the difference in age level and maturity from the Original Text to Revised Text. In the Original Text, Frank and Joe are 16 and 15, respectively but in the Revised Text, they're 18 and 17 respectively. And I can see some difference because there are some things that I think they might do more when they're younger but not so much when they get a bit older. This of course addresses the juvenile pranks and stuff the boys are seen doing with Con Riley and Oscar Smuff in these early books, but also Frank and Joe's plans for Christmas in The Mystery of Cabin Island. Maybe it's just that, while I love being with my family all the time, I especially love being together at Christmas- so I can't see why Frank and Joe couldn't have waited a few days and taken their camping trip to Cabin Island after Christmas Day. I know- it's not a big thing so much- you can celebrate Christmas any day really since we don't really know for sure that Christ was actually born on December 25th. (and even so, His birth makes me celebrate every day of the year  :)) - but I just think they would've had more concern for their parents' feelings. But then I remembered that they were younger than the ages I normally see them at and they probably were more focused on just the fun things of Christmas they didn't want to miss out on- mainly the presents and food.
    But I'm glad that the parents of all of the guys (Frank, Joe, Chet and Biff) were so nice about it and surprised them by celebrating Christmas early.

hardygirl847

Mac,

I thought about this too. Well, first let me say that I am glad they are 17 and 18. The Casefiles were a good example of the need for the extra year because of everything they do. It makes it somewhat more plausible....lol Anyways, I thought it was strange that they would leave so close to Christmas too. I celebrated Christmas for almost 2 weeks because of all the family I saw. lol I think it was more for the story and for the author's advantage so to speak than that's what they would have done in a normal situation. Maybe it was the only time available? Not sure.

For teenagers (if comparing them to teens today)...Frank and Joe are very much into family and friendships. Family is important to them. However, give them a good mystery and they might gone for awhile. lol

tomswift2002

You can also tell that the boys were more mature in The Mystery of Cabin Island just by the fact that they actually prepared and planned a real Christmas dinner at the cabin (by having turkey and all that) instead of just buying some "TV dinners" that had turkey in them.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

MacGyver

Is that scene in both the Original Text and Revised Text? I kinda wonder if that was reflective of the times there. I wonder how many teenagers today would know how to fix a turkey dinner for Christmas.

tomswift2002

In the Revised Text, the boys don't go to the island till Boxing Day (December 26).  But even then there is mention of the boys making meals consisting of meat, potatoes, vegetables and I think coffee and dessert  (sure some of the ingredients may have come out of cans, but still the author's in both books mention how Chet is able to make a stew and a rather large meal).  Not to mention in both versions the boys make breakfast's that are not just cold cereal, toast and coffee.

hardygirl847

Quote from: MacGyver on January 07, 2011, 04:45:03 PM
Is that scene in both the Original Text and Revised Text? I kinda wonder if that was reflective of the times there. I wonder how many teenagers today would know how to fix a turkey dinner for Christmas.

Yeah I don't remember that in the RT either. But I don't know how to cook a turkey. lol So that's impressive.

Quote from: Captain Santa Claus on January 07, 2011, 05:00:02 PM
In the Revised Text, the boys don't go to the island till Boxing Day (December 26).  But even then there is mention of the boys making meals consisting of meat, potatoes, vegetables and I think coffee and dessert  (sure some of the ingredients may have come out of cans, but still the author's in both books mention how Chet is able to make a stew and a rather large meal).  Not to mention in both versions the boys make breakfast's that are not just cold cereal, toast and coffee.

Right...they go after Christmas in the RT. Chet does like to eat and I can see him being able to cook for some reason. I have to say that I like mature Frank and Joe much more than how they are sometimes portrayed in the UBs.

I don't mind joking around a little or whatever...but their job is WAY beyond what a normal teenager would do. It would make sense that through their experiences, they would have grown up a bit more or been more mature for their 17 or 18 yrs.

Frank and Joe sometimes seem like they could be in their 20s just by how they act. Their still teens though and once in awhile remind us of that. :)

MacGyver

QuoteFrank and Joe sometimes seem like they could be in their 20s just by how they act. Their still teens though and once in awhile remind us of that.
I know some teenagers that are very mature- and I've known others that are not nearly so much. But that's another great thing I like about The Hardy Boys- both Frank and Joe have a great maturity level for their ages and inspire kids to aspire to the same.

Okay- and so in the Revised Text, the Hardy Boys and the gang wait until after Christmas to go on their excursion. It seems like they could've just as easily done that in the Original Text- I know that some of the planning for such a trip is a fun chapter to have, but I almost wonder if that bit was there just to lengthen the novel.

hardygirl847

I was actually a pretty much teen and kid. College came around and then I don't know what happened. lol

But I agree Mac. That's why I love them too. :) Well..partially.

I didn't find that information to be needed in order to enjoy the book. So perhaps it was added to lengthen the story. I would like to read more OTs just to see what was left out though.