Holidays with The Hardy Boys

Started by MacGyver, October 28, 2011, 09:01:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

I couldn't think of any other thread where we had done this and as a number of winter holidays are soon approaching, I thought it might be fun to list the Hardy Boys books [or perhaps TV show episodes as well, comics, etc.] where they have celebrated different holidays, or the book has at least been set during a certain holiday. Alternatively, we can also try to list appropriate books to read for otherwise unmentioned holidays.
(Note: With Frank and Joe Hardy being American citizens, I've mainly listed American celebrated and recognized holidays, but feel free to add any international and/or non-American holidays I may have missed if it's mentioned in a book somewhere or you know of an appropriate book for that holiday. I pulled this list from Wikipedia's entry and it includes a few I wasn't even familiar with. There are further holidays celebrated in the USA depending on which state one lives in, which for Frank and Joe is Massachusetts, according to The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries television show and most likely New York, according to most of the books- but I think this list should be pretty sufficient.)

New Year's Day (January 1st.)

Martin Luther King, Jr. Day (3rd. Monday in January)

Inauguration Day (January 20, in the year following a Presidential election of course)

Groundhog Day (February 2nd.)

Valentine's Day (February 14)

Presidents' Day (3rd. Monday in February)

Mardi Gras/Carnival (February or March- date varies depending on when Easter falls and what part of the world you're in. The Monday and Tuesday before Ash Wednesday, which starts the Lent season- which is 40 days before Easter.)

St. Patrick's Day (March 17)

April Fools' Day (April 1)

Good Friday (The Friday before Easter)

Easter (date varies from March 22 to April 25)

Earth Day (April 22)

Arbor Day (last Friday in April)

May Day (May 1)

Cinco De Mayo (May 5)

Mother's Day (2nd. Monday in May)

Slavic National Holiday in the USA (May 24)

Memorial Day (last Monday in May)

Flag Day (June 14)

Father's Day (Third Sunday in June)

Independence Day (July 4)

National Dog Day/Women's Equality Day (August 26)

Labor Day (1st. Monday in September)

Columbus Day/Canadian Thanksgiving (2nd. Monday in September)

Patriot Day (September 11)

Constitution/Citizenship Day (September 17)

Rosh Hashanah (September or October- depends on Hebrew calendar)

Yom Kippur (September or October- depends on Hebrew calendar)

Leif Erikson Day (October 9)

Halloween (October 31)

Election Day (First Tuesday after the first Monday in November)

Veterans Day (November 11)

Thanksgiving Day (US) (4th. Thursday in November)

Hannukah (December- depends on Hebrew calendar)

Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day (December 7)

Christmas Eve (December 24)

Christmas (December 25)

Boxing Day (December 26)

Kwanzaa (December 26 through January 1)

New Year's Eve (December 31)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MacGyver

New Year's Eve (December 31)/New Year's Day (January 1st.)
New Year's Evil, #11 in Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys Supermysteries ('88)

Martin Luther King, Jr. Day (3rd. Monday in January)

Inauguration Day (January 20, in the year following a Presidential election of course)

Groundhog Day (February 2nd.)

Valentine's Day (February 14)

Presidents' Day (3rd. Monday in February)

Mardi Gras/Carnival (February or March- date varies depending on when Easter falls and what part of the world you're in. The Monday and Tuesday before Ash Wednesday, which starts the Lent season- which is 40 days before Easter.)
The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries- "Voodoo Doll" (Parts 1 and 2)
The Voodoo Plot, #72 in The Hardy Boys Mystery Stories (Digests)
Bonfire Masquerade, #5 in Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys Supermysteries ('07)
Nightmare in New Orleans, #30 in Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys Supermysteries ('88)
Frame-Up, #99 in The Hardy Boys Casefiles [Note: This one is set in Louisiana, but I don't believe Mardi Gras is actually going on at the time in the book. Still, just being in the bayou area around New Orleans makes me think of it.]

St. Patrick's Day (March 17)

April Fools' Day (April 1)

Good Friday(The Friday before Easter)

Easter (date varies from March 22 to April 25)

Earth Day (April 22)
Poisoned Paradise, #82 in The Hardy Boys Casefiles
Toxic Revenge, #83 in The Hardy Boys Casefiles

Arbor Day (last Friday in April)
Poisoned Paradise, #82 in The Hardy Boys Casefiles
Toxic Revenge, #83 in The Hardy Boys Casefiles

May Day (May 1)

Cinco De Mayo (May 5)

Mother's Day (2nd. Monday in May)

Slavic National Holiday in the USA (May 24)

Memorial Day (last Monday in May)

Confederate Memorial Day (May 10- varies by state, but a number seem to celebrate in May)
Uncivil War, #52 in The Hardy Boys Casefiles

Flag Day (June 14)

Father's Day (Third Sunday in June)

Independence Day (July 4)
Murder on the Fourth of July, #28 in Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys Supermysteries ('88)

National Dog Day (August 26)
Crime in the Kennel, #133 in The Hardy Boys Mystery Stories (Digests)
The Doggone Detectives, #8 in Frank and Joe Hardy: The Clues Brothers
The Disappearing Dog, #7 in The Hardy Boys: Secret Files

Women's Equality Day (August 26)
See No Evil, #8 in The Hardy Boys Casefiles ;)
The Borgia Dagger, #13 in The Hardy Boys Casefiles
(these two included mainly due to Callie's work with The Hardys on their cases, particularly in the early books)

Labor Day (1st. Monday in September)

Columbus Day/Canadian Thanksgiving (2nd. Monday in September)

Patriot Day (September 11)

Constitution/Citizenship Day (September 17)

Rosh Hashanah (September or October- depends on Hebrew calendar)

Yom Kippur (September or October- depends on Hebrew calendar)

Leif Erikson Day (October 9)
The Viking Symbol Mystery, #42 in The Hardy Boys Mystery Stories
The Viking's Revenge, #123 in The Hardy Boys Casefiles ;D

Halloween (October 31)
Dead of Night, #80 in The Hardy Boys Casefiles
Trick-or-Trouble, #175 in The Hardy Boys Mystery Stories (Digests)
The Dead Season, #35 in The Hardy Boys Casefiles
Web of Horror, #53 in The Hardy Boys Casefiles
Real Horror, #71 in The Hardy Boys Casefiles
The Hardy Boys Ghost Stories
Haunted, Special Ghost Stories Edition of The Hardy Boys Undercover Brothers
The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries- "The Mystery of the Haunted House", "The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew Meet Dracula" (Parts 1 and 2), "The Mystery of the Hollywood Phantom" (Parts 1 and 2), "The House on Possessed Hill", "Voodoo Doll" (Parts 1 and 2)

Election Day (First Tuesday after the first Monday in November)
Dead on Target, #1 in The Hardy Boys Casefiles
Campaign of Crime, #103 in The Hardy Boys Casefiles

Veterans Day (November 11)

Thanksgiving Day (US) (4th. Thursday in November)

Hannukah (December- depends on Hebrew calendar)

Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day (December 7)
Dead in the Water, #127 in The Hardy Boys Casefiles

Christmas Eve (December 24)/Christmas (December 25)
The Mystery of Cabin Island (Original Text and Revised), #8 in The Hardy Boys Mystery Stories
Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys: Super Sleuths- "The Secret of Mountaintop Inn" (formerly published in the December 16, 1980 issue of Family Circle magazine as "Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys Solve a Christmas Mystery")
Perfect Getaway, #12 in The Hardy Boys Casefiles
A Crime for Christmas, #2 in Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys Supermysteries ('88)
Shock Jock, #106 in The Hardy Boys Casefiles
.........................................................................................

Boxing Day (December 26)

Kwanzaa (December 26 through January 1)

And Birthdays-
Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys: Super Sleuths 2- "HB" (celebrating Nancy Drew's birthday)
Line of Fire, #16 in The Hardy Boys Casefiles (celebrating Denny Payson's birthday)
Fire in the Sky, #126 in The Hardy Boys Casefiles (celebrating Callie Shaw's birthday)
Comic Con Artist, #21 in The Hardy Boys Undercover Brothers (celebrating Chet Morton's birthday)

[I realize also with episodes of the TV shows and some of the books as well, the titles that are not specifically set at certain holidays are going to be largely subjective as to what one might consider appropriate for a particular holiday or invocative of a holiday. So I've tried to list titles that seem fitting for the occasion lower down from titles that are actually set at that event.]

(*Note:  I would also have included these episodes of The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries for Halloween:"A Haunting We Will Go" and "The Secret of the Whispering Walls", but they only feature Nancy Drew. But they can have sort of honorable mentions.
I would have included this episode for Christmas- The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries- "Will The Real Santa Claus...?" episode- but this is actually a Nancy Drew episode, rather than The Hardy Boys. But it is an episode of a Hardy Boys-based TV show, so I'll give it an honorable mention of sorts just because I love the episode anyway... ;))
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

SDLagent

Looks pretty good to me. Chet has a birthday in Comic Con Artist.

Boxing Day is a US holiday, too, eh? For some reason I thought it was a Commonwealth thing.

MacGyver

Oh- well, no, Boxing Day isn't really celebrated as a US holiday. But I was familiar with it from living where it was celebrated for a while, so I included it. I think you're right about it mainly being a Commonwealth thing.

SDLagent

So Americans don't usually get Boxing Day off?

Jokerette

hmm, not that i'm aware of. but my family travels a lot and we miss Christmas here as much as we don't. could be.
I know that all you need is love, but I believe an Xbox Kinnect is pretty essential too, am I right?

tomswift2002

For Mardi Gras there's also #72 The Voodoo Plot, and I think Nightmare In New Orleans is also set around Mardi Gras.  I know that the Hardy's have been to Mardi Gras quite a few times.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

Yeah, I forgot about The Voodoo Plot- been a long while since I've read it, but that makes perfect sense- as does Nightmare in New Orleans- seems like any time the Hardys go to New Orleans, it has to be something mixed up with either Mardi Gras or voodoo or both. I guess that's just what the area is mainly known for- besides some incredible Cajun cooking! :)

Jokerette

I know that all you need is love, but I believe an Xbox Kinnect is pretty essential too, am I right?

MacGyver

Of course- Gambit can sure cook us up a great big pot of gumbo in New Orleans, you betcha... :)

Jokerette

er...i don't know if i want him too. who's to say he ever learned how? he could poison us accidently  :o

MacGyver

I went back and added for Women's Equality Day:
See No Evil, #8 in The Hardy Boys Casefiles
The Borgia Dagger, #13 in The Hardy Boys Casefiles
(these two included mainly due to Callie's work with The Hardys on their cases, particularly in the early books) ;) :)

And

The Viking Symbol Mystery, #42 in The Hardy Boys Mystery Stories
for Leif Erikson Day (October 9)

tomswift2002

Quote from: MacGyver on October 28, 2011, 10:13:56 AM

Christmas Eve (December 24)/Christmas (December 25)
The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries- "Will The Real Santa Claus...?" episode

That's not really a Hardy Boys story, considering that it takes place in River Heights with Nancy Drew meeting Ned Nickerson for the first time.  And the Hardy's are never mentioned in the entire episode.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

Well, that's true- I didn't really think about that. But it's the only episode of any of The Hardy Boys-based TV shows I can think of that is set at Christmas or deal with it. But you're right in that it's actually a Nancy Drew episode rather than The Hardy Boys. I'll add a note about that. Thanks.

MacGyver

I added Poisoned Paradise and Toxic Revenge under both Earth Day and Arbor Day- I can't recall if either one is specifically set on either day, but both deal with environmental themes, so I figured it was close enough.