Bonfire Masquerade- #5 NDGD/HBUB Supermystery book

Started by MacGyver, October 07, 2010, 09:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hardygirl847

Quote from: SDLagent on February 11, 2011, 09:34:12 PM
Or maybe it's just bad writing and trying too hard to make Frank and Joe "different".

I was and still am not a fan of this switch. Frank and Joe both know how to talk to girls. I think it makes Frank WAY less mature than he is suppose to be.

Sorry friends, but I don't find it funny. I find it annoying and uncharacteristic of him. I keep wanting to shake the book and somehow use it like a etch a sketch and erase that!

Joe's overly flirtatious nature in the Casefiles was somewhat a coping mechanism but still was not as bad as Frank's inability to speak two words to a female in the UBs. I don't mind that the girls like him more this time around...and I could never see him being cocky about it ....BUT to be THAT shy and almost nerdy about it....it's ridiculous! HE'S A SUPER AGENT for crying out loud!

Good thing the GNs ignore it mostly and it's starting to be downplayed.

Sorry....I don't mean to be so passionate about this but it drives me nuts. He's super mature in the other series but UBs make him the opposite. It just irritates me.
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: hardygirl847 on February 14, 2011, 05:01:28 PM
I was and still am not a fan of this switch. Frank and Joe both know how to talk to girls. I think it makes Frank WAY less mature than he is suppose to be.

Sorry friends, but I don't find it funny. I find it annoying and uncharacteristic of him. I keep wanting to shake the book and somehow use it like a etch a sketch and erase that!

Joe's overly flirtatious nature in the Casefiles was somewhat a coping mechanism but still was not as bad as Frank's inability to speak two words to a female in the UBs. I don't mind that the girls like him more this time around...and I could never see him being cocky about it ....BUT to be THAT shy and almost nerdy about it....it's ridiculous! HE'S A SUPER AGENT for crying out loud!

Good thing the GNs ignore it mostly and it's starting to be downplayed.

Sorry....I don't mean to be so passionate about this but it drives me nuts. He's super mature in the other series but UBs make him the opposite. It just irritates me.

I think it's gotten better in the UB paperbacks. :-\

tomswift2002

Anyone looking for a topic on Bonfire Masquerade?  Hopefully it is better than Gold Medal Murder, since I've still got my book mark in that book at like Chapter 6 or 7...and the last time that I read it was shortly after it came out.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: tomswift2002 on April 15, 2011, 08:02:18 PM
Anyone looking for a topic on Bonfire Masquerade?  Hopefully it is better than Gold Medal Murder, since I've still got my book mark in that book at like Chapter 6 or 7...and the last time that I read it was shortly after it came out.

Then you missed the swearing! :o

tomswift2002

Quote from: Katie on April 15, 2011, 09:16:47 PM
Then you missed the swearing then! :o

As I recall, I came across one mention of the "D" word in the book at that point.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: tomswift2002 on April 17, 2011, 04:50:07 PM
As I recall, I came across one mention of the "D" word in the book at that point.

There's two other times they use it! ::)

SDLagent

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: SDLagent on April 18, 2011, 11:25:39 PM
Why would they do that? Damnit!

I thought one of the rules was no swearing. What did you just say?! ::) :o

Bigfootman

In what context was the swearing used in "Gold Medal Murder"? If the swearing was when they were in danger, like being chased by a gunman, then I don't see what the big deal is, if the swearing was for no reason at all, then I have a problem. Honestly, I don't see the point of swear words at all, why have words in the English language that you can't even say? Who decided which words were bad anyways?

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

MacGyver

QuoteHonestly, I don't see the point of swear words at all, why have words in the English language that you can't even say? Who decided which words were bad anyways?
God. ;)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: Dinosaur Dan on April 28, 2011, 03:14:44 PM
In what context was the swearing used in "Gold Medal Murder"? If the swearing was when they were in danger, like being chased by a gunman, then I don't see what the big deal is, if the swearing was for no reason at all, then I have a problem. Honestly, I don't see the point of swear words at all, why have words in the English language that you can't even say? Who decided which words were bad anyways?

When they were in danger. IMO, I still don't think that should've used it! ::) >:( :-\

JoeHardyRocks

Actually, Joe said "And ******** is that buzzing noise?" when he wasn't really in danger. Even though some of you might not technically consider "hell" to be an expletive, I think it is when it's used in that context.
"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

MacGyver

Okay- that definitely makes me sick. I could see the Hardys maybe using a euphemism like "heck"- but they should not be swearing. As I've said before, the problem here is that many people don't even consider this example you've posted to be an expletive anymore, but it still gets movies PG ratings instead of G, so I would say Hollywood still views it as an expletive- and I certainly view it as an expletive. When you compromise on standards, it's easy to go further and further in that compromise. This is definitely something that I'm wanting to write a letter to Simon & Schuster about- it's very frustrating.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: JoeHardyRocks on May 12, 2011, 02:30:05 PM
Actualyl, Joe said "And ******** is that buzzing noise?" when he wasn't really in danger. Even though some of you might not technically consider "hell" to be an expletive, I think it is when it's used in that context.

What page is that on? ???

MacGyver

Just found a really interesting article related to this- http://www.albertmohler.com/2005/06/02/the-hardy-boys-and-the-rainbow-party/
The article is from the President of The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary and he's comparing two a recent book to The Hardys Boys series, both of which were both published by Simon & Schuster. (Note to younger readers- this other books has a pretty lurid plot that is discussed)
         Anyway- I appreciate how he pointed out that the Hardy Boys have long been bastions for Christian values. They may not have always specifically identified as such and I'm not totally sure if Edward Stratemeyer even was a Christian- but it's pretty obvious they hold to many values The Bible certainly commands as well. (Though I'm sure you could make the case for various religions as well.)
    The main thing I found interesting was the leaked guidelines for the writers- and note that this article is from 2005, so the new Hardy Boys series he's referring to must be the Undercover Brothers series. Wow- if those are the guidelines for the writers, I don't think they've been holding to all of them lately...