Brother aginest Brother disipontment

Started by Bigfootman, August 11, 2008, 07:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomswift2002

The Armada printing of Perfect Getaway is also pretty scarce.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

Mrs. Nick Jonas

I LOVED this book!! But I was shocked when they didn't hug or anything when Joe regained his memory. I also wish that Frank was more emotional.

Oh I COMPLETELY agree with the earlier posts about how it should have been a trilogy! What other plot material would you put in it if it were a trilogy? I think that we can all agree on a strong reunion at the end.
"I don't pray because it changes God, I pray because it changes me". ~ C.S. Lewis

MacGyver

I've really never had any issue with Brother Against Brother. I feel like the reunion they had was fine. The emotional buildup was running strong throughout the entire book- you'd probably be hardpressed to find a more emotional Hardy Boys book. (although there are others that would be in that number.) And most of it was coming from Frank out of concern for Joe, so I'm not sure where he needed to be more emotional. To be fair, Frank and Joe were busy staying alive at the point of their reunion and so they didn't have much time to break into hysterics.
        I look at it more like their instincts took over and they immediately focused on the issue at hand. Now maybe there was a more tearful reunion in-between their having the bad guy locked up and the time they get on the plane ride back home that just isn't mentioned in the book. For a real breakdown of the entire book, at that point, such a scene may have been an emotional overload.
And there is also the very practical reason that the books had to be kept to a certain length and the writer may have just had to find a quick way to end it- and honestly, all the books usually end on a cheery note with some sort of joke.
         But I can appreciate that others may have wanted more from the book to this end. There are probably lots of places where there could have been more- but I think the practical end of meeting deadlines and keeping books to the prescribed length sometimes cuts that off- or at least leads the writers to have to make compromises. As an aspiring writer myself, I can sympathize with those issues.
Oh well- I'm sorry- I don't mean to be argumentative on this point. It's just that this is one of my favorite titles in The Hardy Boys Casefiles that I've read and reread a number of times and I was just surprised that anyone would have been that disappointed with it. But that's okay- everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I guess I'm just not real picky on most things and I enjoy all of the books to some degree. I mean, I also enjoy and defend Dead Man in Deadwood and Cave Trap
and Survival of the Fittest for that matter. :D
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

JoeHardyRocks

Quote from: Mrs. Nick Jonas on March 02, 2011, 01:00:09 AM
I LOVED this book!! But I was shocked when they didn't hug or anything when Joe regained his memory. I also wish that Frank was more emotional.

I had that same thought! When they got back together, they were just like "Okay, cool. Great job Joe, let's catch the bad guys now!" I was like, Frank, you aren't even happy that your ONLY BROTHER remembers you now?? And Joe, aren't you even the tiniest bit relieved that you know who you and your brother are now??? :P
"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

MacGyver

Well, boys are also stereotypically much less emotional than girls- but still, I can see your point.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

SDLagent

Quote from: MacGyver on March 02, 2011, 08:48:04 AM
I've really never had any issue with Brother Against Brother.

Well, that's a surprise!

Seriously, though, I never really had an issue with it either. I liked it well enough to read it twice but I can also see where it could have been better. As others have said, it seems a bit rushed.