Favorite Hardy Boys book (Corrected Poll)

Started by MacGyver, March 06, 2014, 09:01:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What are your favorite Hardy Boys books and/or series?

The Hardy Boys Mystery Stories [original series; #1-38; original text]
The Hardy Boys Mystery Stories [original series; #1-58; original text for 1-38]
The Hardy Boys Mystery Stories [original series; #1-58; revised text]
The Hardy Boys Mystery Stories [original series and Digests; #1-190; original text for 1-38]
The Hardy Boys Mystery Stories [original series and Digests; #1-190; revised text]
The Hardy Boys Mysteries Stories Digests [#59-190]
The Hardy Boys Supplemental Spinoff books (The Hardy Boys Detective Handbook [original and revised], The Hardy Boys Handbook: Seven Stories of Survival, Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys Supersleuths! 1, Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys Supersleuths! 2, Nancy Dr
Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys: Be A Detective Mystery Stories [#1-6]
The Hardy Boys Casefiles [#1-127]
The Hardy Boys and Tom Swift Ultra Thrillers [#1-2]
Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys Supermystery series [#1-36]
The Hardy Boys Clues Brothers [#1-17]
The Hardy Boys Undercover Brothers [#1-39 and "Haunted" special]
The Hardy Boys Undercover Brothers Supermystery series [#1-2]
Nancy Drew Girl Detective and Hardy Boys Undercover Brothers Supermystery [#1-6]
The Hardy Boys Undercover Brothers Graphic Novels [#1-20]
The Hardy Boys Undercover Brothers New Casefiles Graphic Novels [#1-2 and Nancy Drew Girl Detective New Casefiles crossover]
The Hardy Boys Secret Files [#1-16 and counting]
Hardy Boys Adventures [#1-7 and counting]
I LOVE The Hardy Boys in all their series! :-)

MacGyver

Okay- here is the revised version of this poll. I've added two spinoff series I'd previously forgotten (thanks to tomswift2002 for the reminder about The Hardy Boys UB Supermystery books) and I corrected the number of volumes in the Nancy Drew GD and Hardy Boys UB Supermystery crossover series. (again- thanks to tomswift2002 for the catch.)
       I threw in both of the novelizations from The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries in with the supplemental spinoff books section, along with the 8 comic books released on earlier Hardy Boys series (The Mickey Mouse Club serials and The Hardy Boys cartoon.)
This particular section can be considered a miscellaneous section, which could incorporate a number of items- I could have listed The Hardy Boys Guide to Life book there, for that matter, but I was trying to stick with fiction rather than nonfiction. And of course, there are still other things- like The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew crossover miniature coloring books that were released in Cookie Crisp cereals back in 1978 and probably other things I forgot.
       I didn't bother to list The Hardy Boys video games, though one could argue they tell a story too- but I was relegating this poll to the various book series.
     But hopefully this will be a pretty comprehensive list for The Hardy Boys fiction works. :) 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MacGyver

The Hardy Boys Supplemental Spinoff category got truncated in its listing- I guess the poll boxes can only hold so many characters. Here's the entire listing:

The Hardy Boys Supplemental Spinoff books (The Hardy Boys Detective Handbook [original and revised], The Hardy Boys Handbook: Seven Stories of Survival, Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys Supersleuths! 1, Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys Supersleuths! 2, Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys Campfire Stories, The Hardy Boys Ghost Stories, and The Hardy Boys activity books, TV show episode novelizations, and TV show-based comic books, etc.)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Sleuth

I voted for
The Hardy Boys Mystery Stories #1-190 (revised)
Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys: Be A Detective Mystery Stories
The Hardy Boys Undercover Brothers Graphic Novels
If I had to choose just one it would be: The Hardy Boys Mystery Stories #1-190 ;D

I have a feeling you voted for all of them, right, MacGyver? ;)
Joe Hardy said "Iola is alive, I can feel it. I couldn't feel this strongly about someone who was dead."

"Then I won't tell you to give up hope," Frank said softly. 8)

MacGyver

Da Gray Man

If you don't say Casefiles you are wrong haha.

MacGyver

Not at all- everyone's free to their own preferences. :) 8)

THartmann9374

I voted for Hardy Boys Mystery Stories & Digests (revised text) and Casefiles.

MacGyver

Cool- those are the books I grew up reading (along with some of the Original text stories), so those are definitely some of my favorites. I love The Hardy Boys in general and I'm happy to read them all- but even so, I have a certain fondness for the original stories and Digests and Casefiles too.

CalvinKnox

My 1st would be the Original text.
2nd: first ~60 Casefiles
3rd: revised G&D
4th: 59-~80 S&S

MacGyver

That's cool- pretty good mix there. Have you read all of the original series and the Casefiles then?

CalvinKnox

I have read about 30 of the original texts, most of the casefiles, all G&D revised and most of the first S&S digests.  I liked the continuity and details in most of the early casefiles, but after #55 there aren't really any that I really loved.  I also enjoyed some of the early digests like Outlaw's Silver, Submarine Caper, Cave-in... 

MacGyver

I've read the entire original series from #1-190 (revised text mostly and some original text) along with all the Casefiles and Supermysteries (1988 series) and others.
   I enjoy them all but I can see how one might prefer the early Digests- those have 20 chapters and mysteries that seem a bit deeper somehow than later Digests.
But speaking as someone who's read them all, I do enjoy all of them and have a number of favourites from the later numbers just as much as I have favourites from the earlier ones too.

CalvinKnox

It isn't all black and white for me, I like Trouble in Warp-space better than the original text Disappearing Floor for example.  And #127 Dead in the Water better than #34 Final Cut.  I think that the more chapters leaves more room for details, which I like, but I would like to get a copy of Farming Fear which is a much later digest.

MacGyver

Farming Fear is a really neat book because it features Chet and Iola and their parents in a mystery on the Morton farm.

tomswift2002

Quote from: MacGyver on December 24, 2017, 04:12:11 PM
Farming Fear is a really neat book because it features Chet and Iola and their parents in a mystery on the Morton farm.
Actually it's not the Morton's farm of the Original series.  It is Chet and Iola's grandparent's farm.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca