TV show/Media club December 2011 - The Mystery of the Applegate Treasure

Started by MacGyver, December 03, 2011, 10:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

Well, I figured I'd go ahead and put this thread out there. I will have to dive back into this serial from The Mickey Mouse Club myself as soon as I can. We're covering The Mystery of the Applegate Treasure for this month. So enjoy the serial adventures of the slightly younger Hardy Boys and feel free to post reviews throughout the month of December.
I offered a breakdown of the episodes in another thread, but basically you can watch the whole thing at once and post a review or just watch a few episodes a week and post reviews as you go along. Either way, have fun with the first media appearance of The Hardy Boys! :) 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

SDLagent

I watched since awhile ago and thought it was okay. I remember thinking that Frank and Joe seemed to young and that it was really annoying to have to hear the theme song before every episode. Probably my least favourite TV adaptation of the Hardys I've seen but I wasn't bad.

MacGyver

Okay- good points. I enjoyed it pretty well myself but I don't know that it's my top favorite or anything. I wonder though if Frank and Joe were portrayed with younger actors in order to connect with the ages of the kids who would have been viewing The Mickey Mouse Club. I would say it might also help connect with the readers of The Hardy Boys books as well, but honestly I never really had a problem with reading about teenagers who were a good 10 years older than me when I was reading the books as a kid.
But with the TV show, they had to figure in demographics and I'm thinking maybe they just figured kids would rather see kids closer to their age on screen. Nonetheless, Tim Considine and Tommy Kirk were great actors for the roles though in other aspects. They seem to have the right demeanor for Frank and Joe, respectively.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

Quote from: SDLagent on December 04, 2011, 01:12:58 AM
I watched since awhile ago and thought it was okay. I remember thinking that Frank and Joe seemed to young and that it was really annoying to have to hear the theme song before every episode. Probably my least favourite TV adaptation of the Hardys I've seen but I wasn't bad.

I haven't watched the entire thing since the DVD was released back in December 2006.  But you have to remember that these serials weren't designed for DVD, but weekly airings, so in the 50's the viewers would've only seen the opening once a week separated by 7 days, not 17 minutes.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

SDLagent

Quote from: MacGyver on December 04, 2011, 01:54:28 AM
Okay- good points. I enjoyed it pretty well myself but I don't know that it's my top favorite or anything. I wonder though if Frank and Joe were portrayed with younger actors in order to connect with the ages of the kids who would have been viewing The Mickey Mouse Club. I would say it might also help connect with the readers of The Hardy Boys books as well, but honestly I never really had a problem with reading about teenagers who were a good 10 years older than me when I was reading the books as a kid.
But with the TV show, they had to figure in demographics and I'm thinking maybe they just figured kids would rather see kids closer to their age on screen. Nonetheless, Tim Considine and Tommy Kirk were great actors for the roles though in other aspects. They seem to have the right demeanor for Frank and Joe, respectively.

Good point. It is funny, like you say, that character's ages are often synced with demographics. I say funny because, like you, I never had a problem with reading about kids who were old than me. In fact I preferred it. Most YA novels are about characters in the 13-15 age range now, though.

Quote from: Santa Claus on December 04, 2011, 09:11:49 PM
I haven't watched the entire thing since the DVD was released back in December 2006.  But you have to remember that these serials weren't designed for DVD, but weekly airings, so in the 50's the viewers would've only seen the opening once a week separated by 7 days, not 17 minutes.

I realize that but couldn't they have cut it out for the DVD release?

MacGyver

QuoteI realize that but couldn't they have cut it out for the DVD release?
Well, completists would want it in there and it may have been easier not to go in and edit it if they didn't have to... I guess you can always fast forward through it if you like...

Olivia

I saw it a while ago as well. I only remember that it was kind of mediocre and really simple. I distinctly remember thinking that the young boy playing Joe was a very good actor - but I can't recall if I thought he played the part well, or was just a good performer in general.

I also realize the demographics point that you all were mentioning.

MacGyver

yeah- Tommy Kirk did a great job as a kid playing Joe Hardy and grew up to do a lot of other Disney productions like The Shaggy Dog, The Misadventures of Merlin Jones and one of my favorites- The Monkey's Uncle. :) 8)
(which features The Beach Boys performing the classic theme song for the movie. And of any secular band, I would have to say The Beach Boys is definitely my favorite.) :D