Cool finds from The Hardy Boys cartoon and '70s show

Started by MacGyver, February 05, 2010, 12:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

I posted about the various board games based on The Hardy Boys earlier in this thread.

Here's a product description for "The Hardy Boys Mystery Game: The Secret of Thunder Mountain" board game (based on the 1970s show) that I found on Amazon.com-

"In search of stolen gems, the Hardy Boys traveled to Thunder Mountain on their motorcycles. There they found pieces of evidence that helped them solve the robbery. Now you must gather your own pieces of evidence in order to win this game. It's exciting. Which player will be the first to discover Who?, What?, Where?, or When? It's fast. Your playing piece is a motorcycle. With it you travel around the board trying to gather the pieces of evidence that you need. It's a game that involves some strategy. Being a detective tests your concentration and memory. Join the Hardy Boys in a new adventure. See if you, too, are unable to solve the Mystery Of Thunder Mountain."

(I'm thinking they meant "able" in that last sentence- lol. ;D)

"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

I've got a copy of "The Secret Of Thunder Mountain" game which I piked up at a garage sale about 20 years ago for about 25 cents (of course my copy is one of the scarce Canadian editions where everything was printed in both English and French).  It's interesting. 
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

Oh, nice! Yeah, if I ever found a copy of this board game (American or Canadian edition), I'd love to grab it up for my collection- if I can find it for a good price. I don't care to spend a ton of money to track down a board game, even one that does look pretty cool like this one.
But some people get really into board games, as evidenced by this site. :) 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

Apparently the American version is easier to locate than the Canadian one.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

MacGyver

Here are some pictures from the 1975 Dynamite issued that featured Parker Stevenson and Shaun Cassidy as The Hardy Boys! :) 8)

MacGyver

Here's something fun to do with your Frank and Joe Hardy action figures from the '70s show, if you're fortunate enough to own these collectibles (for a decent price anyway.)

Joe Hardy has apparently met up with Kelly Garrett of Charlie's Angels and is helping her with some shopping. Cute. :) 8)

MacGyver

Pamela Sue Martin's autograph! What a nice collectible for these fans. :) 8)

MacGyver

I have a feeling I may have posted this before but just in case I haven't- here's a great comic book ad for The Hardy Boys cartoon! (Pete looks a bit lighter than usual though- obviously the color was a little off on this one.)

MacGyver

The Hardy Boys record player! It is technically a tie-in merchandise item for The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries show- but of course, since Shaun Cassidy was hugely known at that point for both his acting career as Joe Hardy and his singing career- of course, he gets top billing on this. You can barely make out Parker Stevenson's name in there as well, as we see his likeness depicted in the background, holding a flashlight shining on his and Shaun's names. And there's a drawing of The Hardy Boys' van and their motorcycles. Pretty cool! :) 8)
And yes, of course- that's a Shaun Cassidy album playing too! ;)

MacGyver

Here's a website cataloguing LaserDisc releases and it includes the release of "The Mystery of the Haunted House" episode of The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries to LaserDisc, under the "DiscoVision" label. This was apparently first released in March 1979, according to this other site. :) 8) (And last appeared in the October 1980 catalogue. The original price of $5.95 doesn't seem too terrible, I suppose- but that is kind of a lot to pay for 1 episode of a show, especially when you can get individual episodes online digitally for like maybe a dollar or two.)

MacGyver

And for anyone wondering what a LaserDisc player is- .
It's essentially the forerunner of DVDs and Blu-Ray discs. :) 8)
Here's a nice page about it.

tomswift2002

Of course Laserdisc only played analog video, unlike DVD players that play digital video.

MacGyver

Good point. Still, it was pretty cool for its time. The only time I remember ever seeing anything on LaserDisc is in the mid-'90s when my school was still using them to show videos for science class. I just remembering thinking- "Wow! What is that CD the size of an LP?" ;) ;D

tomswift2002

I know that I've seen and held an actual Laserdisc, but as far as I can remember, I've never seen any video from a Laserdisc.

MacGyver

Here's a site that bills itself as a museum of games- and this is their entry for The Hardy Boys board game based on the '70s show.