Cool finds from The Hardy Boys cartoon and '70s show

Started by MacGyver, February 05, 2010, 12:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

And here's another screen capture from one of the episodes of The Hardy Boys cartoon.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MacGyver

I found a video clip of one of the episodes of The Hardy Boys cartoon on Youtube- in Portuguese. This is a clip from the actual storyline in an episode (as opposed to the musical numbers, a number of which are posted on Youtube in English) and this gives you an idea of how the pacing of the story went- yep, it's pretty much like this- super fast!
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Sleuth

Quote from: MacGyver on May 03, 2012, 10:53:30 PM
I found a video clip of one of the episodes of The Hardy Boys cartoon on Youtube- in Portuguese. This is a clip from the actual storyline in an episode (as opposed to the musical numbers, a number of which are posted on Youtube in English) and this gives you an idea of how the pacing of the story went- yep, it's pretty much like this- super fast!

Hang on, I've got to go learn Portuguese...;D

Thanks, MacGyver, it will be interesting to check out! ;D I've watched a couple of classic cartoons on You Tube before in different languages and I could follow what was going on even without knowing the language. Some things are universal. :)

Oh, and thank you for that screen capture from the cartoon, too! :)
Joe Hardy said "Iola is alive, I can feel it. I couldn't feel this strongly about someone who was dead."

"Then I won't tell you to give up hope," Frank said softly. 8)

MacGyver

No problem- I've been kind of on a hunt for any more information on either the cartoon or '70s show (or other media productions for that matter.) I've always been a fan of The Hardy Boys in general, but lately I've been getting really big on the various shows based on the books- maybe because some of them have finally recently been released to DVD and I've been able to watch a lot of them for the first time.
Speaking of which, I recently acquired this book (The Haunted House & Flight to Nowhere by Glen A. Larson and Michael Sloan) and this one (The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew Meet Dracula by Glen A. Larson and Michael Sloan). These books are novelizations of episodes from The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries and just from flipping through them, I can confirm that they are not quite verbatim, but definitely very close novelizations of the episodes. I wouldn't say they are a real "must have", especially if you already have the TV series on DVD- but they were certainly a boon for fans in the late '70s when VCRs were just starting to hit the market and only those who could afford these rather expensive at the time machines would enjoy them.  The books include a lot of nice black and white photos from the episodes in question and that's pretty cool. It's a good way to relive the episodes.

MacGyver

Here are the covers of the books I was talking about-

(For the first one- The Haunted House & Flight to Nowhere, the two stories here are adapted from "The Mystery of the Haunted House" and "The Flickering Torch Mystery" episodes. The inside title page of the book actually says that the first story is adapted from "The House on Possessed Hill", but it's definitely the pilot episode ["The Mystery of the Haunted House"] being adapted here.
And of course, the second book is an adaptation of the Second season opener "The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew Meet Dracula" (Parts 1 and 2).)

MacGyver

Promotional material for The Hardy Boys cartoon series (and The Hardy Boys band of course :)) from the Wheels album release on LP.

MacGyver

Cool color promotional picture from The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries :)

MacGyver

Pocket Flix movie reel based on The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries- this looks to be something sort of like a Viewmaster, but with the difference being that it shows actually video clips, as far as I can tell. It looks like it was mainly around in the late 1970s- neat collectible for the '70s show if you can find it.

You can go to this Web site to see more pictures and read a little more about it.

MacGyver

I'm not sure what acting production this was from, but I just thought this picture of Shaun Cassidy as a cowboy was funny.

AlwaysAJoefan

Quote from: MacGyver on May 04, 2012, 01:38:38 PM
I'm not sure what acting production this was from, but I just thought this picture of Shaun Cassidy as a cowboy was funny.

I believe that's from Once Upon a Texas Train, which happens to be awesome. :D ;D
Want to cure this country? Try 2 Chronicles 7:14...

MacGyver

MacGyver

Here's another video clip of an episode of The Hardy Boys cartoon, along with the ending credits. (This one is in English. :))

MacGyver

I know I posted a page of this site in another thread somewhere, but anyway- I'll post it again here. There are some good screen captures from both the Hardy Boys cartoon and '70s show. :) 8)

MacGyver

QuoteYeah, I've got the first one too. It'd be interesting to compare it with the later version. I would think the main changes would be to replace Pamela Sue Martin's information with an interview with Janet Louise Johnson. It might be cool to pick this up sometime as it may offer some updated insights into the show as it stood in early 1978.
I just got the second edition of this book in the mail today! And yeah, it's pretty much what I thought- it more or less swaps out Pamela Sue Martin's chapter for one on Janet Louise Johnson- but it still leaves a portion of the interview the author had with Martin as well. There are pictures of both Johnson and Martin and it kinda gives Pamela Sue Martin a nice send-off and talks some about the episodes Janet Louise Johnson did, particularly emphasizing the most recent at the time, "Arson and Old Lace". As far as I can tell, the book didn't make any mention about Season 3 as to what direction it would take and so forth. The writing at the time left it hopeful that Johnson might return for further episodes as Nancy Drew in the future.
       And the copyright date is 1977 and 1978 (since material from the earlier edition still comprises most of the book.) Most everything else is pretty much still the same. It's not a huge thing really, but it is a nice little collectible to have from the show and it's nice to see the cast changes in Season 2 acknowledged, as well as Pamela Sue Martin's reason for leaving. (Basically, she didn't like getting her separate series get shoved into one vehicle with The Hardy Boys- and I guess I can't really blame her for that too much...) Perhaps if they had kept her separate episodes consistent with the number of solo adventures The Hardy Boys had during the second season, along with some crossover episodes, things might have worked out differently. But they probably had to go with whichever one got the most positive response I guess...
    Oh well- an interesting little addition to my Hardy Boys (and rather limited Nancy Drew) collection. :)

MacGyver

Nothing to get too excited about, but here are ABC's Fall 1978 promos that do feature Shaun Cassidy and Parker Stevenson as The Hardy Boys. :)