Cool finds from The Hardy Boys cartoon and '70s show

Started by MacGyver, February 05, 2010, 12:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

Reed Kailing, who portrayed Frank Hardy in the live band The Hardy Boys, in promotion for the cartoon series The Hardy Boys, has a great site that details a lot of information about his time with The Hardy Boys band, as well as some cool pictures of the live band.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MacGyver

Check out this Brazilian site (so the text is in Portuguese, but if you can't read that, you can still enjoy the pictures) for a number of cool screencaptures from The Hardy Boys cartoon, including a really nice picture of the Rolls Royce toy car that Corgi produced for the show.
:) 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Sleuth

Joe Hardy said "Iola is alive, I can feel it. I couldn't feel this strongly about someone who was dead."

"Then I won't tell you to give up hope," Frank said softly. 8)

MacGyver

MacGyver

I wonder if maybe the blonde-haired girl in The Hardy Boys production cels I posted earlier is supposed to be Callie Shaw. I don't know what episode it's taken from or if Callie ever even showed up on the cartoon, but it could be her. It would be neat. :)

Hardy Sleuth

Quote from: MacGyver on April 24, 2012, 08:25:55 PM
I wonder if maybe the blonde-haired girl in The Hardy Boys production cels I posted earlier is supposed to be Callie Shaw. I don't know what episode it's taken from or if Callie ever even showed up on the cartoon, but it could be her. It would be neat. :)

I agree that would be cool if Callie is in the cartoon, she should be. 8) The first time I saw a clip of the Hardy Boys cartoon show was on You Tube and as I watched the song performance, I had thought the girl in the video was Callie, but now I know otherwise.
Joe Hardy said "Iola is alive, I can feel it. I couldn't feel this strongly about someone who was dead."

MacGyver

Well, I don't know how true all the episodes are to the books (from what I've seen they are generally super-condensed versions of the books, but they actually do stay somewhat true to the main plot), so some episodes should have Callie because she does show up in the books. Of course, so does Iola for that matter, and with her brother Chet already constantly being on hand, you'd think Iola might show up too. I would love to see the other chums on here too- Biff, Phil, Tony and Jerry. Of course, with them being in a band and already having Wanda Kay and Pete Jones as regular cast members too, I think they would probably wind up filling the role of additional friends that may have shown up in the book...

MacGyver

This sounds like it would be cool to track down...
ABC aired a special called The Magic of ABC, on September 7, 1977- which was their fall programming preview, which was hosted by a young David Copperfield and featured a number of ABC stars to help him perform magic tricks- including Parker Stevenson and Shaun Cassidy, on hand to promote the premiere of the 2nd. season of The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries - I'd be interested to see the clip of their appearance (I wouldn't mind seeing the rest of it for that matter- I enjoy magic and I love classic TV like this.) :) 8)

MacGyver

Well, what do you know? I found it on Youtube! :) 8)
(I don't know if the whole special is on there, but a lot of the various segments can be found- the bit with Dick Van Patten and Adam Rich [of Eight is Enough fame] and Kate Jackson [of Charlie's Angels] and the bit with Penny Marshall and Cindy Williams [of Laverne & Shirley] and others.)

MacGyver

Parker and Shaun weren't exactly in character but they definitely still felt like Frank and Joe there- haha. That was fun to watch. This aired for the Fall 1977 season at the start of the 2nd. season for the show. Parker mentioned he and Shaun being back as The Hardy Boys and I noticed they didn't mention Nancy Drew at all. But then- this was also at the point where Pamela Sue Martin's character was being diminutized and eventually, she left the show over it and then Janet Louise Johnson filled in as Nancy Drew for three episodes at the end- and then it was just The Hardy Boys for the third season. Anyway, enjoy this little bit- fun stuff and David Copperfield does some cool magic tricks. :) 8)

Hardy Sleuth

Quote from: MacGyver on April 25, 2012, 09:00:50 AM
Well, I don't know how true all the episodes are to the books (from what I've seen they are generally super-condensed versions of the books, but they actually do stay somewhat true to the main plot), so some episodes should have Callie because she does show up in the books. Of course, so does Iola for that matter, and with her brother Chet already constantly being on hand, you'd think Iola might show up too. I would love to see the other chums on here too- Biff, Phil, Tony and Jerry. Of course, with them being in a band and already having Wanda Kay and Pete Jones as regular cast members too, I think they would probably wind up filling the role of additional friends that may have shown up in the book...

It would be impossible to squeeze all that takes place in one book into a short amount of time. Since Callie is Frank's girlfriend, and Iola is Joe's girlfriend, and they help on cases sometimes, I would definitely think they should be there. 8) And I agree also that Biff, Phil, Tony, and Jerry should be on the show also. :) And so should Chet, with his own name, which leads me to a question - is the character named Chubby supposed to be Chet? ??? Why change his name?

MacGyver

Well, since the character is called Chubby Morton and more or less looks like most books' descriptions of him, I'm guessing it's supposed to be Chet. As for the Chubby thing, I just think of it as a nickname or gimmick for the band. Kinda like how Michael Lee Aday uses "Meat Loaf" as his stage name.
     And it could be that the writers of the cartoon decided that "Chet" was not a real popular name anymore and they just decided to use the nickname Chubby. You know- it's like every band has to have at least one member with a goofy nickname or something. ;D

Hardy Sleuth

Quote from: MacGyver on April 27, 2012, 08:39:31 AM
Well, since the character is called Chubby Morton and more or less looks like most books' descriptions of him, I'm guessing it's supposed to be Chet. As for the Chubby thing, I just think of it as a nickname or gimmick for the band. Kinda like how Michael Lee Aday uses "Meat Loaf" as his stage name.
     And it could be that the writers of the cartoon decided that "Chet" was not a real popular name anymore and they just decided to use the nickname Chubby. You know- it's like every band has to have at least one member with a goofy nickname or something. ;D

Lol, I would think Chet would be more popular of a name than Chubby. ;)

Chet is an athletic big guy, playing football, baseball, etc., and in The Four-Headed Dragon, it says he is a fast runner when he needs to be and that's pretty cool. I think when they say "husky" in quite a few of the books, it's more accurate. I guess the nickname should have been "Husky Morton". ;D

MacGyver

Perhaps, but "Chubby" definitely works better than "Husky"- lol.  ;D

MacGyver

Here's another look at the 1978 "The Hardy Boys: The Mystery of Thunder Mountain" board game, this one offering a look at the instructions.