Cool finds from The Hardy Boys cartoon and '70s show

Started by MacGyver, February 05, 2010, 12:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

And we can't forget The Hardy Boys Game! :) 8) (From 1969, based on the cartoon series.)

And The Hardy Boys Mystery Game: The Secret of Thunder Mountain (from 1978, based on The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries show.)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MacGyver

Here's a look at the actual gameboard for the 1969 game-
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MacGyver

And an even better look at the box for the 1969 Hardy Boys Game- on a pretty groovy floor tiling too. :)

And here are the game cards-

And here's a look at the inside of the box with the basic storyline of the game and the rules-

Looks like a simple enough but still fun little game. You apparently encounter both explosives and a pirate's ghost in this game, as well as a sinister character (who seems to be a turban-wearing Arabic dude) and a shark attack. And I'm guessing this golden idol that is the object of the quest is buried at sea somewhere, as the boys are depicted as deep sea diving. Apparently, Wanda Kay decided to sit out this adventure, but she does make an appearance in the top right hand corner of the game board, singing with the band.
    I also think that in both the box cover art and the game cards art, Frank looks like he's either really tired or really high- or both.

MacGyver

And wouldn't want to leave the '70s board game out- here's a closer look at the inside of The Hardy Boys Mystery Game: The Secret of Thunder Mountain-

Considering this one has cards and spaces on the game board marked as "Evidence", it looks like this board game is more of an actual mystery (i.e. crime) to solve, rather than just a treasure hunt as the 1969 game seems to be. (Well, I guess you can solve the mystery of where the treasure is located in that sense- but not the mystery-solving that involves stopping crime that The Hardy Boys usually are involved in...though they've had their share of treasure hunting in the books, like The Secret of Pirates' Hill, but those books most always included a criminal element somewhere in there too...)
According to this description of gameplay, the winner has to collect all of the required evidence cards, so this game bears similarity in gameplay to the 1969 board game after all.

MacGyver

MacGyver

One of the jigsaw puzzles released in conjunction with The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries in the late '70s. I like the camera it looks like Joe is holding- perhaps it's infrared? :)

MacGyver

For those who picked up The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries Season 1 on DVD when it first released, you may recall that the original release came with a reproduction of a classic Dynamite magazine cover. Here are a few scans of the October 1977 issue of the magazine, including the cover story on The Hardy Boys! :)

AlwaysAJoefan

Quote from: MacGyver on April 18, 2012, 03:39:21 PM
For those who picked up The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries Season 1 on DVD when it first released, you may recall that the original release came with a reproduction of a classic Dynamite magazine cover. Here are a few scans of the October 1977 issue of the magazine, including the cover story on The Hardy Boys! :)

I have the magazine and the poster is hanging on my wall, right under Secretariat. :D
Want to cure this country? Try 2 Chronicles 7:14...

Hardy Sleuth

Quote from: MacGyver on April 18, 2012, 12:05:26 PMI also think that in both the box cover art and the game cards art, Frank looks like he's either really tired or really high- or both.

??? Well, since Frank and Joe don't ever do drugs, we know he's not high. 8)

Quote from: MacGyver link=topic=1890.msg65642#msg65642Considering this one has cards and spaces on the game board marked as "Evidence", it looks like this board game is more of an actual mystery (i.e. crime) to solve, rather than just a treasure hunt as the 1969 game seems to be. (Well, I guess you can solve the mystery of where the treasure is located in that sense- but not the mystery-solving that involves stopping crime that The Hardy Boys usually are involved in...though they've had their share of treasure hunting in the books, like The Secret of Pirates' Hill, but those books most always included a criminal element somewhere in there too...)

Yep, they definitely had to fight crime in The Secret of Pirates' Hill, including attempted murder, and they were successful. 8)
Joe Hardy said "Iola is alive, I can feel it. I couldn't feel this strongly about someone who was dead."

"Then I won't tell you to give up hope," Frank said softly. 8)

MacGyver

QuoteWell, since Frank and Joe don't ever do drugs, we know he's not high. 
Well, I know of course- I just had to make a little joke about the illustration there- something just seems a little off... ;D

MacGyver

QuoteI have the magazine and the poster is hanging on my wall, right under Secretariat.
Cool! I've got the poster too- at one time, I had it hanging on the window of my little cubicle at work (when I worked at a place that encouraged employees to do such things...)

AlwaysAJoefan

I took some pics of the HB dynamite magazine, but just the HB stuff. I also took some of the two Dynamite magazines that had Shaun Cassidy on them. And the articles about him. :) I can post them if anyone's interested. :)

MacGyver

MacGyver

Here's a much bigger scan of the full comic book ad for ABC's Saturday morning lineup of 1969 that includes a little promotional blurb about The Hardy Boys cartoon. In this particular copy, Chet's hair obviously didn't get quite the right printing or perhaps the comic had just faded through the years....

AlwaysAJoefan