January 2011 Book Club Discussion - The Borderline Case (#25 Casefile)

Started by Olivia, January 14, 2011, 05:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: Olivia on February 13, 2011, 01:22:35 PM
Funny you should say that. Even though I'm thoroughly a HBs fan, I'm also a selective ND fan. Every HBs series beats ND (except the Casefiles and Files are about even writing-wise -- i.e. intelligence of writing, not necessarily action or whatever).

However, I have to say that the Girl Detective series is very well-written (later numbers) compared to just about any UB. I'm still surprised, because I hated what they did until it improved. Although the last ND:GD trilogy I was in the middle of reading a long time ago (the one about the model) wasn't too great.

I hope you don't mind my opinion because I know how much you like the UBs.

I don't. How have they improved? You can PM me if you want, so we don't take up space on here. 

Olivia

Originally, just the way they characterized the uh, characters (I don't know how else to say it) wasn't good: it was either unbelievable or annoying. The plots weren't always top-notch, and the flow of writing wasn't too good.

In later books, there is good balance and everything is not only believable, but works together very well. For instance, there are some consistent characters in River Heights that blend into the story very well. Or if Nancy's somewhere else in the the country, the new characters feel real. Also, how Nancy figures out the mystery, plus the actual criminal and their motives are just well-done. No detail is wasted and always useful. The writing flows and you can really see it in your head.

Not all of them, but a good amount of ND:GD, anyway.

Olivia

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Olivia

Quote from: Hardy Boys UB Fan on February 13, 2011, 01:39:55 PM
Yeah. I noticed! ;D

This thread has been off-topic for a while, but I just wanted to quickly ask what some of your fav UBs are? (You may have answered this already, I don't know).

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: Olivia on February 13, 2011, 01:42:26 PM
This thread has been off-topic for a while, but I just wanted to quickly ask what some of your fav UBs are? (You may have answered this already, I don't know).

No, I haven't. :) I guess I like all of them. (Big surprise. I know. ::) ) The ones that I like the best are, 006, 014, 020, all of the Double Danger, Killer Mission and the Lost Mystery trilogy's (I still haven't gotten the final book, yet) but so far, I like it. ;D     

Olivia

I've heard the Lost trilogy is really good.

I've only read up to the Double Danger trilogy. The first book in that one, plus Wanted (first super mystery) are among my favs.

There's older topics and polls on this sort of thing too :)

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: Olivia on February 13, 2011, 02:02:23 PM
I've heard the Lost trilogy is really good.

I've only read up to the Double Danger trilogy. The first book in that one, plus Wanted (first super mystery) are among my favs.

There's older topics and polls on this sort of thing too :)

Yeah. But I can't post anything in them.  What did you think of UB No. 020?

Olivia

Because they're older topics that haven't been posted in a year?

No. 20 I didn't particularly like because a hot dog eating contest doesn't seem like a very good plot. I think the motive of the criminal wasn't that great either, but I can't remember entirely.

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: Olivia on February 13, 2011, 02:22:33 PM
Because they're older topics that haven't been posted in a year?

No. 20 I didn't particularly like because a hot dog eating contest doesn't seem like a very good plot. I think the motive of the criminal wasn't that great either, but I can't remember entirely.

Yeah. :) I thought the same thing. "A hot dog eating contest, is that the best that you can come up with?" :-\

Olivia

Quote from: Hardy Boys UB Fan on February 13, 2011, 01:39:55 PM
Yeah. I noticed! ;D What number was it when they started to improve? ???

You keep adding things to your post after I answer. Feels very deja vu.

If you really want to know, I would say it starts slowly in #17 approximately. But the better ones are listed in a general ND:GD topic somewhere in the Nancy Drew section (I think). I'm selective with that list.

AlwaysAJoefan

What would be the best UB for me to read? I want to read a couple UB's just to see how I like them and I want opinions.

BTW, Hardy Boys UB Fan, I like your avatar.  ;D ;D
Want to cure this country? Try 2 Chronicles 7:14...

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: Olivia on February 13, 2011, 02:47:07 PM
You keep adding things to your post after I answer. Feels very deja vu.

If you really want to know, I would say it starts slowly in #17 approximately. But the better ones are listed in a general ND:GD topic somewhere in the Nancy Drew section (I think). I'm selective with that list.

LOL! ;D I think that's when I gave up on her! :) ::)

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: AlwaysAJoefan on February 13, 2011, 03:16:45 PM
What would be the best UB for me to read? I want to read a couple UB's just to see how I like them and I want opinions.

BTW, Hardy Boys UB Fan, I like your avatar.  ;D ;D

Thanks. ;D Have you played the Nancy Drew PC Games? It's from one of those.
I'd say the Lost Mystery trilogy. It's almost like reading a Casefile. Or 006, 014, 020 or Wanted.

AlwaysAJoefan

Quote from: Hardy Boys UB Fan on February 13, 2011, 03:22:16 PM
Thanks. ;D Have you played the Nancy Drew PC Games? It's from one of those.
I'd say the Lost Mystery trilogy. It's almost like reading a Casefile. Or 006, 014, 020 or Wanted.

I've played the first 21 ND games. Very cool. SHA is one of my second favorites.
Want to cure this country? Try 2 Chronicles 7:14...