January 2011 Book Club Discussion - The Borderline Case (#25 Casefile)

Started by Olivia, January 14, 2011, 05:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on February 10, 2011, 04:57:02 PM
I don't know why I as a male am having to defend her- LOL ;D
but Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys are both cool. 8)
Check out www.nancydrewsleuth.com for more on why Nancy Drew is still relevant and a cool character.
(And I have read a few Nancy Drew books here and there, but I have read way more of The Hardy Boys since I'm primarily a fan of that book series of course.) But they are literary siblings, so I appreciate both of them.

When you put it like that. . .I agree.

SDLagent

I've only read a few Nancy Drew novels and a few more graphic novels. I thought they were pretty good.

Quote from: Hardy Boys UB Fan on February 10, 2011, 04:28:40 PM
I'm a UB Fan.

Really? I would have never guessed.

hardygirl847

Okay...speaking from the voice of my inner tween....girls like boys. Girls are boy crazy. Frank and Joe are cute boys. Fictional...yes...but the same principal that makes Justin Bieber popular can make Frank and Joe popular....THEY ARE HOT BOYS. lol Well, we are assuming they are hot boys....but they kick butt, they're smart, funny, etc. Total package.

Why bother getting into Nancy Drew when you have hot boys you can read about??

Speaking from my 20-something voice....I also like hot boys. LOL

Some things never change. :)
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

JoeHardyRocks

Quote from: hardygirl847 on February 11, 2011, 01:22:41 PM
Okay...speaking from the voice of my inner tween....girls like boys. Girls are boy crazy. Frank and Joe are cute boys. Fictional...yes...but the same principal that makes Justin Bieber popular can make Frank and Joe popular....THEY ARE HOT BOYS. lol Well, we are assuming they are hot boys....but they kick butt, they're smart, funny, etc. Total package.

Why bother getting into Nancy Drew when you have hot boys you can read about??

Speaking from my 20-something voice....I also like hot boys. LOL

Some things never change. :)

LOL great summary!!! ;D
"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

Hardy Boys UB Fan

MacGyver

But by that logic, shouldn't I and other boys want to be reading about Nancy Drew, a HOT girl detective rather than the Hardy Boys?
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on February 11, 2011, 02:52:03 PM
But by that logic, shouldn't I and other boys want to be reading about Nancy Drew, a HOT girl detective rather than the Hardy Boys?

I guess. :-\

MacGyver

No offense to girls, but I do find it funny that so many girls seem to like movies and TV shows and bands and book series and such merely because a "HOT" actor is in it. I understand that it's a perfectly natural attraction and certainly there are actresses that I think are pretty HOT too. But I just hope that wouldn't be the sole reason for liking something, as it seems kinda shallow. (And I'm not saying that there aren't plenty of guys out there who like shows like The Dukes of Hazzard for one reason- and her name is Daisy Duke!)
(And for me, I also want to be careful that any attractions I might have don't turn to lust.)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

AlwaysAJoefan

Quote from: MacGyver on February 11, 2011, 02:59:11 PM
No offense to girls, but I do find it funny that so many girls seem to like movies and TV shows and bands and book series and such merely because a "HOT" actor is in it. I understand that it's a perfectly natural attraction and certainly there are actresses that I think are pretty HOT too. But I just hope that wouldn't be the sole reason for liking something, as it seems kinda shallow. (And I'm not saying that there aren't plenty of guys out there who like shows like The Dukes of Hazzard for one reason- and her name is Daisy Duke!)
(And for me, I also want to be careful that any attractions I might have don't turn to lust.)

Amen! I like seeing nice-looking people, but I prefer to judge entertainment on the quality of the story. Why watch something loaded with coarse language just to see a good-looking guy or girl?  ::)
Want to cure this country? Try 2 Chronicles 7:14...

JoeHardyRocks

Quote from: MacGyver on February 11, 2011, 02:59:11 PM
No offense to girls, but I do find it funny that so many girls seem to like movies and TV shows and bands and book series and such merely because a "HOT" actor is in it.

I guess it just makes the show more entertaining for us.... :-\ LOL I can name a bunch of times when me and my girl friends watched an (age appropriate!!) movie just because there was a cute guy in it. ;D.
"Thank you, Joe."

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: AlwaysAJoefan on February 11, 2011, 03:02:11 PM
Amen! I like seeing nice-looking people, but I prefer to judge entertainment on the quality of the story. Why watch something loaded with coarse language just to see a good-looking guy or girl?  ::)

I don't. ;)

MacGyver

There are a lot of physically beautiful people out there who say and do ugly things and that turns me off.

JoeHardyRocks

Quote from: MacGyver on February 11, 2011, 03:11:27 PM
There are a lot of physically beautiful people out there who say and do ugly things and that turns me off.

Yeah, there are these people that I'm like, hey they're cute, maybe they're nice too! But then I hear them cussing so I say uhhh nevermind :P ::)
"Thank you, Joe."

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: JoeHardyRocks on February 11, 2011, 03:13:32 PM
Yeah, there are these people that I'm like, hey they're cute, maybe they're nice too! But then I hear them cussing so I say uhhh nevermind :P ::)

That's what I think, too. ;)

Olivia

Quote from: Hardy Boys UB Fan on February 10, 2011, 02:26:13 PM
No, she can't!  ;) Don't even get me started on Nancy Drew Girl Detective. Those are terrible! ::)

Funny you should say that. Even though I'm thoroughly a HBs fan, I'm also a selective ND fan. Every HBs series beats ND (except the Casefiles and Files are about even writing-wise -- i.e. intelligence of writing, not necessarily action or whatever).

However, I have to say that the Girl Detective series is very well-written (later numbers) compared to just about any UB. I'm still surprised, because I hated what they did until it improved. Although the last ND:GD trilogy I was in the middle of reading a long time ago (the one about the model) wasn't too great.

I hope you don't mind my opinion because I know how much you like the UBs.