Who Would You Save? The Chums

Started by hardygirl847, February 21, 2011, 04:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who would you save out of the Hardy Boys' chums?

Callie Shaw
Iola Morton
Vanessa Bender
Chet Morton
Biff Hooper
Phil Cohen
Tony Prito
Belinda Conrad (UBs and GNs)
Nancy Drew
I can't pick! I'd have to figure out a way to save them all!
Everyone but Nancy! She can worry about herself.
No one...let the Assassins have them.

JoeHardyRocks

LOL me and my sisters always say "AWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!" when Frank goes "Stand on my shoulders, Nancy!" Because he's already tired, but he still has time to be polite and heroic and ADORABLE!!!! ;D
"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: JoeHardyRocks on February 25, 2011, 12:26:15 PM
LOL me and my sisters always say "AWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!" when Frank goes "Stand on my shoulders, Nancy!" Because he's already tired, but he still has time to be polite and heroic and ADORABLE!!!! ;D

Yeah.  ::)

hardygirl847

Well, the Nancy in Arson and Old Lace was not Pamela Sue Martin. That's why she wasn't able to escape. Lol But yeah, Frank was very adorable during that rescue. And it encouraged the crazy thought of them being together. My vote is still only for Frank and Nancy to get together if they are Parker and Pamela. That is the only time I've rooted for them.

I didn't see the new Nancy and Parker/Frank at all together. But Joe had a heroic rescue so Frank needed one too.
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

Olivia

Quote from: hardygirl847 on February 26, 2011, 08:39:27 PM
Well, the Nancy in Arson and Old Lace was not Pamela Sue Martin. That's why she wasn't able to escape. Lol

Thanks, I was about to say that! PSM saw what was happening with the character earlier on, and that's a big reason why she left.

Like your new avatar, by the way :)

MacGyver

Was the character of Nancy Drew being written to be a bit dumber and more helpless for the times that she appeared with The Hardy Boys? Because even with Janet Louise Johnson's episodes, I don't think that was the case in any episode except for Arson and Old Lace obviously. I thought Pamela Sue Martin's main gripe was that the show was called The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries, yet all of a sudden in Season 2, the format totally changed and she wasn't getting her regular every other episode appearance with a solo Nancy Drew adventure. I'm glad they did the crossover episodes, but they could have done that and still kept the Nancy Drew solo episodes going. I wonder if they just decided that after Season 1, it looked like The Hardy Boys episodes had better ratings than the Nancy Drew ones, so they decided just to focus more on The Hardy Boys and less on Nancy Drew?
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on February 28, 2011, 09:48:41 AM
Was the character of Nancy Drew being written to be a bit dumber and more helpless for the times that she appeared with The Hardy Boys? Because even with Janet Louise Johnson's episodes, I don't think that was the case in any episode except for Arson and Old Lace obviously. I thought Pamela Sue Martin's main gripe was that the show was called The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries, yet all of a sudden in Season 2, the format totally changed and she wasn't getting her regular every other episode appearance with a solo Nancy Drew adventure. I'm glad they did the crossover episodes, but they could have done that and still kept the Nancy Drew solo episodes going. I wonder if they just decided that after Season 1, it looked like The Hardy Boys episodes had better ratings than the Nancy Drew ones, so they decided just to focus more on The Hardy Boys and less on Nancy Drew?

I think so!  ::) At least that's my take on it. ;)

Olivia

Quote from: MacGyver on February 28, 2011, 09:48:41 AM

Basically it. The ratings were down on ND so they focused more on the HBs. (I can see why, too, because they kept making weird choices like changing Ned's character from nerdy to all of a sudden cool, etc. -- but also, the HBs had a good thing going).

My impression is that eventually, PSM/ND felt like a secondary character as opposed to being on par with the HBs. Janet Louise Johnson's ND seemed a bit more helpless and damsel-in-distress-y, or looked it. Specifically, she looked like she was really sensitive or something.

Anyway, whether or not it was diva-ish, PSM left. I remember when I first saw the episodes and heard about it, I thought she was pulling a diva move. There's a lot of heresay, so it's hard to distinguish what kind of attitude was behind it.

Case in point: She left Dynasty after four seasons, right when they were becoming the #1 show in ratings (above Dallas, no less). One of the actresses on the show thought it was a stupid move, that it would greatly affect the show, and why does she have the gall to leave a solid job. But it was because PSM wanted to do other things, and felt that the character had stalled. (Also, she was having a health problem). So I think PSM has always been like that: some actors like staying in roles, others need to constantly do something new. Whether or not it's premature to leave.

MacGyver

Yeah- it's just unfortunate. Perhaps if they could've gotten more consistent with writing for the Nancy Drew episodes (though for the record, I liked George O'Hanlon, Jr. as Ned Nickerson- but Rick Springfield did a great job too.)- and maintained the same actresses for Bess and George (I'm glad they even made an appearance- but this is something that could've been beefed up for both Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys- adding more of their chums and keeping them around on a more regular basis.) - anyway, perhaps they could've kept the Nancy Drew solo episodes going alongside The Hardy Boys episodes and kept the show running longer.
Oh well- that's how some things go. They experimented and tried to keep it alive as long as they could- at least they got 46 good episodes out of it- and I'm glad for what is available anyway.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

hardygirl847

Quote from: Olivia on February 28, 2011, 08:37:38 AM
Thanks, I was about to say that! PSM saw what was happening with the character earlier on, and that's a big reason why she left.

Like your new avatar, by the way :)

Thanks. I had someone ask me who the "creepy" people were on my avatar pic on ff.net before. lol I guess they don't know about the 70s show. lol

On some level, I can agree with PSM for bailing before it go worse. But on the other hand, she could have helped save her part of the show. Probably not...it's just wishful thinking. I really can't speak too much about the episodes with her by herself because I have yet to watch them. I definitely watched and purchased the DVDs for the HBs. I don't dislike the crossover episodes but it doesn't bother me that ND wasn't in the 3rd season.

Stupid ? alert: Was there a completely different writing and production team for each ND and the HBs?
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

MacGyver

Not positive, but I'm pretty sure ti was all the same crew. I mean- they weren't two different shows. It was one show with both The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew, so I don't see why they would have had different writers and/or producers. But maybe I'm wrong...

hardygirl847

Hey Mac, you're on too!

I didn't think so either...or I guess at some points they could have different crews. But if the writing and everything was so different, then that's what makes me wonder. I'm not saying that ALL of the HB stories were awesome...some really were eh....It just seemed like less effort was made with ND to be consistent etc.

MacGyver

Yeah- I noticed that some threads were being constantly updated- lol. ;D

It's funny because I've heard from other more casual fans that they liked the Nancy Drew episodes better than The Hardy Boys episodes (at least in the first season anyway.) I think you should check them out in any case- The Secret of the Whispering Walls and A Haunting We Will Go are pretty good ones to try.
(Well- I'm sorry- I don't mean to be going on about this- if you don't like Nancy Drew- that's okay- you don't have to watch it. I just tend to be a completist with these things- so I'll wind up watching every single episode of a show that I like- even the "clunker" episodes as some may call them.) But you have to at least acknowledge Nancy Drew's status as an iconic role model and heroine for young girls, especially in the time the character was originally written.

hardygirl847

Quote from: MacGyver on March 01, 2011, 01:05:04 AM
Yeah- I noticed that some threads were being constantly updated- lol. ;D

It's funny because I've heard from other more casual fans that they liked the Nancy Drew episodes better than The Hardy Boys episodes (at least in the first season anyway.) I think you should check them out in any case- The Secret of the Whispering Walls and A Haunting We Will Go are pretty good ones to try.
(Well- I'm sorry- I don't mean to be going on about this- if you don't like Nancy Drew- that's okay- you don't have to watch it. I just tend to be a completist with these things- so I'll wind up watching every single episode of a show that I like- even the "clunker" episodes as some may call them.) But you have to at least acknowledge Nancy Drew's status as an iconic role model and heroine for young girls, especially in the time the character was originally written.

Totally acknowledged. Those who love ND, more power to ya. But I just like boys in danger better. :D

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: hardygirl847 on March 13, 2011, 05:09:58 PM
Totally acknowledged. Those who love ND, more power to ya. But I just like boys in danger better. :D

You're not the only one! :)

hardygirl847