July 2013 Book Club: The Shore Road Mystery (Hardy Boys #6)

Started by tomswift2002, July 02, 2013, 07:25:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomswift2002

As no one signed up for July, here's the book for July:  The Shore Road Mystery.  Originally written in 1928 by Canadian Leslie McFarlane, and then revised in 1964 by David Grambs.

Leave your reviews here for either version.

And remember, August is still open for anyone to pick a title.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

Well, too bad no one ever signed up for July, but this is certainly a great choice to review. I have not read The Shore Road Mystery in quite a long time. I do know the original text deals with a gang stealing cars along Shore Road. The revised one takes a bit different tack- if I recall correctly, Frank and Joe help clear Jack Dodd's father of a crime. I mainly remember being intrigued by the spider-man guy (not the actual "Spider-Man", of course ;)) on the cover. When I get a chance to refresh my memory on this book, I might can post some more.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

With the Spider-Man guy, I wonder if the author put that in as a joke about the comic book Spider-Man, since Spider-Man had just debuted about 4 years before this book (1960?), and the show wouldn't start for another 3 years.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

MacGyver

It could be. Spider-Man first appeared in Amazing Fantasy #15 in August 1962. The first cartoon series started in 1967 and ran to 1970. :) 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Sleuth

I really enjoy all of the exciting action and cool stuff in The Shore Road Mystery! 8) The gang the Hardys have to stop is scary and it's a heartpounding finish!!!
I've read the revised and want to read the first one also. :)
Joe Hardy said "Iola is alive, I can feel it. I couldn't feel this strongly about someone who was dead."

"Then I won't tell you to give up hope," Frank said softly. 8)

tomswift2002

I just read the fish scene in the 1928 version. Really fun scene, it's to bad that it was completely removed from the 64 version.

Hardy Sleuth

Sounds very interesting! I'm looking forward to reading all of the cool stuff in the original. Definitely a lot of cool stuff in the revised edition that I enjoy and it'll be fun reading the original, too. :)
Joe Hardy said "Iola is alive, I can feel it. I couldn't feel this strongly about someone who was dead."

"Then I won't tell you to give up hope," Frank said softly. 8)