What's the last book or item you added to your Hardy Boys collection?

Started by MacGyver, March 20, 2013, 08:18:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

Steve Harvey. He was jealous of Jeopardy!'s ratings. He figured if he could get Alex out of the way, Family Feud would have the best ratings. ;D
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MacGyver

I just recently got Hardy Boys Adventures #5 Peril at Granite Peak for my collection. :) 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MacGyver

I recently got The Hardy Boys #24 The Short-Wave Mystery and The Hardy Boys #26 The Phantom Freighter, both in Grosset & Dunlap PC format. Now I have all of the original 58 revised books in a Grosset & Dunlap printing of one sort or the other. (i.e. PC or the later Flashlight versions.) :) 8) I'm still working on tracking down the few Wanderer hardcover reprints I don't have yet. (i.e. #59-66) (I'm needing 3 of these titles- #59, #60 and #66. Eventually I may order them if I have to, but I'm hoping to find them cheaper in used book stores or thrift stores, etc. first.)

Hardy Sleuth

Quote from: MacGyver on February 24, 2014, 04:50:37 PM
I recently got The Hardy Boys #24 The Short-Wave Mystery and The Hardy Boys #26 The Phantom Freighter, both in Grosset & Dunlap PC format. Now I have all of the original 58 revised books in a Grosset & Dunlap printing of one sort or the other. (i.e. PC or the later Flashlight versions.) :) 8) I'm still working on tracking down the few Wanderer hardcover reprints I don't have yet. (i.e. #59-66) (I'm needing 3 of these titles- #59, #60 and #66. Eventually I may order them if I have to, but I'm hoping to find them cheaper in used book stores or thrift stores, etc. first.)

Fun searching for volumes. ;D
Joe Hardy said "Iola is alive, I can feel it. I couldn't feel this strongly about someone who was dead."

"Then I won't tell you to give up hope," Frank said softly. 8)

MacGyver

VLoneWolf

Hardy Sleuth

Quote from: VLoneWolf on June 10, 2014, 02:17:52 PM
I got The Hardy Boys 135 The Hypersonic Secret.

Awesome, VLoneWolf! 8) ;D 8) That one is on my list of Hardy Boys books I want to find! 8)
Joe Hardy said "Iola is alive, I can feel it. I couldn't feel this strongly about someone who was dead."

MacGyver

Nice find. I remember getting and reading The Hypersonic Secret back when it first released- great book. Jamal Hawkins makes his first appearance in this book, I do believe. And it's also the last Minstrel book to use what I consider the classic Digest look that I love from the '80s before getting a big makeover come 1996. :) 8) (The other design styles are cool too though.)

MacGyver

YAY! Just the other day, I found The Hardy Boys Favorite Classic copy of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain! That was so crazy just to find a copy at my local used bookstore the other day. Totally unexpected but totally welcomed! So I have one book in my collection now! Woohoo! :) 8) (Hopefully, I can track down the other two books in time.) Honestly though, for anyone interested in these, I have to tell you- it's not that terribly exciting. The book is clearly marked as "A Hardy Boys Favorite Classic" and the titles released are actually numbered as well. And there's a foreword by Franklin W. Dixon- but that's really it for The Hardy Boys' tie-in. I guess there isn't much else that could have been done with this- unless maybe they had added a backstory with Frank and Joe somehow involving a short mystery involving the book in question or referencing it or something- that could have been a neat little bonus.
Oh well- still a fun collectible and the actual story by Mark Twain is certainly a classic worth reading. (I should note too that this copy of the book actually attributes the book's authorship to Samuel Clemens, which is Mark Twain's real name, of course.) :) 8)

Hardy Sleuth

Quote from: MacGyver on June 11, 2014, 10:55:24 AM
YAY! Just the other day, I found The Hardy Boys Favorite Classic' copy of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain! That was so crazy just to find a copy at my local used bookstore the other day. Totally unexpected but totally welcomed! So I have one book in my collection now! Woohoo! :) 8) (Hopefully, I can track down the other two books in time.) Honestly though, for anyone interested in these, I have to tell you- it's not that terribly exciting. The book is clearly marked as "A Hardy Boys Favorite Classic" and the titles released are actually numbered as well. And there's foreword by Franklin W. Dixon- but that's really it for The Hardy Boys' tie-in. I guess there isn't much else that could have been done with this- unless maybe they had added a backstory with Frank and Joe somehow involving a short mystery involving the book in question or referencing it or something- that could have been a neat little bonus.
Oh well- still a fun collectible and the actual story by Mark Twain is certainly a classic worth reading. (I should note too that this copy of the book actually attributes the book's authorship to Samuel Clemens, which is Mark Twain's real name, of course.) :) 8)

Interesting, I've never heard of these before! So it's a Tom Sawyer book, but the series is called Hardy Boys Favorite Classics, huh? What do the covers look like? What years are these from? I wish they'd have thought of your idea, it's a good one! 8)

tomswift2002

The Hardy Boys Favorite Classics were released in the late-1970's by Grosset & Dunlap, and there were only 3 books released.  "Treasure Island" and "Huckleberry Finn" were the other two books released.

And I just recently got a copy of the Armada paperback version of "The Perfect Getaway".
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

QuoteAnd I just recently got a copy of the Armada paperback version of "The Perfect Getaway".
Awesome! According to The British Hardy Boys site, that title is quite rare- apparently, it was the last of the Casefiles to be printed with the Brian Kotzky art and of course, the last from Armada. Nice find. :) 8)

QuoteInteresting, I've never heard of these before! So it's a Tom Sawyer book, but the series is called Hardy Boys Favorite Classics, huh? What do the covers look like? What years are these from? I wish they'd have thought of your idea, it's a good one!
Thanks!
For more information on the "Hardy Boys Favorite Classic" series, see this thread.

tomswift2002

I just picked up the dj version of "Mystery Of The Desert Giant" for $8.  (I put a picture of it up on the Facebook page.). This book was only printed in DJ format in 1961, the year it was issued.  In 1962 G&D switched to the cheaper PC versions.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

MacGyver

Nice find! :) 8)
I recently got a copy of the Hardy Boys Adventures #6 Battle of Bayport myself. :) 8)

tomswift2002

And it was one find that didn't require the internet.  I just walked into the used bookstore in town and there it was (along with 4 other 1960-61 printings of Flickering Torch, Short-Wave, Secret Of Skull Mountain & Wailing Siren that still had their DJ's) and all 5 were $8.