The Case of the Disappearing Book

Started by SkyWarp, October 04, 2011, 05:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyWarp

Rumors are circulating that the Undercover Brothers may be ending its run.   The 40th book in the series was suppose to be released next year according to several sitings across the internet a few months ago, but various book sellers are now pulling their information for the 40th book which was tentatively called "The Case of the MyFace Kidnapper". 

If one digs deep enough on Amazon, a release date for this book can still be found but is now showing the year 2030. No official word from S&S yet, but with the Graphic Novels not having any new books scheduled and the Undercover Brothers now having their 40th book pulled from various sites, there appears to be a change in store for the Hardy Boys. 

Of course, we could only speculate at this time without an official announcement.   

Anyone want to take bets on whether they remember the 25th anniversary of the start of the Casefiles series being in 2012?  My thoughts are they won't, but I would hope to be wrong.

MacGyver

I'm not a betting man but that would be a perfect time to relaunch the Hardy Boys Casefiles for the 25th. anniversary- or at least perhaps commemorate the series in some way (rerelease, etc.).
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Boys UB Fan

I'd like to see the Caseflies be relaunched with a technology update. 8) Do you think it could happen?

MacGyver

Well, I doubt they'd take the time to rewrite 127 books to change references to "VHS" tapes to "DVD" and/or "Blu-Ray" players, etc. That kind of stuff is incidental to the overall plots in my opinion. Technology makes some difference and would make much more of an impact for a character like Tom Swift or James Bond- but The Hardy Boys have never been technologically-reliant to such a large level... it's more like technology is a tool they use, but certainly not the only one at their disposal. If you want a technology-updated Casefiles series, then essentially that's The Hardy Boys Undercover Brothers series. ;)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Sleuth

It isn't on the Simon and Schuster site like it had been but I just checked and at least three sites still have The Case of the MyFace Kidnapper listed with the date for release changed to Sept. 2012. 8) I don't really think there will be any commemoration of the start of the Casefiles considering that Tom Swift's 100th (a lot more impressive than 25th) hasn't received much. :( Plus the start of a spin-off like the Casefiles, not the actual, relevant, main series, just isn't quite as interesting.

Quote from: MacGyver on October 04, 2011, 07:18:54 PM
but The Hardy Boys have never been technologically-reliant to such a large level... it's more like technology is a tool they use, but certainly not the only one at their disposal.
So true, MacGyver! 8) They could still solve a mystery in a huge power outage with no batteries or generators or available solar panels! 8) I'm a big fan of technology and personally love the tech stuff in the Hardy Boys Mystery Stories/Digests (2005) and Undercover Brothers and Tom Swift but I know it is much more important to rely on brainpower than techpower. ;D
Joe Hardy said "Iola is alive, I can feel it. I couldn't feel this strongly about someone who was dead."

"Then I won't tell you to give up hope," Frank said softly. 8)

MacGyver

QuoteI don't really think there will be any commemoration of the start of the Casefiles considering that Tom Swift's 100th (a lot more impressive than 25th) hasn't received much.  Plus the start of a spin-off like the Casefiles, not the actual, relevant, main series, just isn't quite as interesting.
Well, for the record, though I hadn't really thought about it before Skywarp pointed it out, it is kinda interesting and exciting to me that next year is the 25th. anniversary of the Hardy Boys Casefiles... (of course, considering I remember when they were first released in 1987, that kinda just makes me think of how I've grown along with the series- lol ;D)
And it's a shame not more was done for Tom Swift's 100th. anniversary- but then Tom Swift isn't nearly as popular as The Hardy Boys (though it's a great series too.)

QuoteSo true, MacGyver!  They could still solve a mystery in a huge power outage with no batteries or generators or available solar panels!  I'm a big fan of technology and personally love the tech stuff in the Hardy Boys Mystery Stories/Digests (2005) and Undercover Brothers and Tom Swift but I know it is much more important to rely on brainpower than techpower.
Given my user name, I suppose you see why I kinda had to point that out ;)  MacGyver is very much that kind of a hero- reliant on brainpower more so than techpower - he knows how to use technology, but he also knows how to work in situations with any technology available- he knows how to do things manually and make other various things work for him.  "When it comes down to me versus the situation, I don't like the situation to win."- MacGyver in "The Road Not Taken" :) 8)

tomswift2002

Quote from: MacGyver on October 04, 2011, 07:18:54 PM
If you want a technology-updated Casefiles series, then essentially that's The Hardy Boys Undercover Brothers series. ;)

Not even close.  You have to remember that the Casefiles were aimed at a more mature audience, so there were mysteries that had the Hardy Boys solving espionage, terrorism, and chop shop rings, even without techonology, unlike the Undercover Brothers where the brothers were solving one murder after another and always relying on technology.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: tomswift2002 on October 06, 2011, 05:01:44 PM
Not even close.  You have to remember that the Casefiles were aimed at a more mature audience, so there were mysteries that had the Hardy Boys solving espionage, terrorism, and chop shop rings, even without techonology, unlike the Undercover Brothers where the brothers were solving one murder after another and always relying on technology.

I know and if it died on them, then they didn't know what to do. ::)

SDLagent

Quote from: Katie on October 04, 2011, 07:14:50 PM
I'd like to see the Caseflies be relaunched with a technology update. 8) Do you think it could happen?

If they ever continued and/or restarted the series, the new titles would be set in modern times for sure but they'd never go back and "modernize" the first 127 books. It's not really a big deal because technology rarely played a big role in the Casefiles.

Quote from: tomswift2002 on October 06, 2011, 05:01:44 PM

Or sabotage. On a reality TV show. That seems to be a favourite of UB writers.

MacGyver

QuoteNot even close.  You have to remember that the Casefiles were aimed at a more mature audience, so there were mysteries that had the Hardy Boys solving espionage, terrorism, and chop shop rings, even without techonology, unlike the Undercover Brothers where the brothers were solving one murder after another and always relying on technology.
Well, I realize that the thematic elements of the series are certainly different and aimed at different audiences- but the technology is certainly more up-to-date in the Undercover Brothers books.

hardygirl847

I'd pick the less technological Casefiles of 25 yrs ago over the "updated" UBs anytime. Casefiles were really written well and full of more suspense and danger. Plus, Frank and Joe are more mature for their ages in Casefiles and the Originals. The Ubs made them even sound more "modern" and younger. I didn't find them to always be the Frank and Joe I grew up with the Casefiles. Mostly the same...yes, but new slang, and current lingo. It just doesn't work for them. They deal with the freaking Network in Casefiles. They are definitely more mature than typical teenagers.

I agree with Mac too...The use of cellphones or certain other technological advances don't make the Hardy Boys who they are or allow them to do their job. Yes, sometimes it feels a tad dated here and there but it never stops them from figuring something out...which I like better because not everything is so easy for them. It creates more suspense and allows them to use their knowledge base as well as skills.

A relaunch is highly unlikely but I just HOPE that some revamp or something better is coming along...versus nothing. I can't imagine a world without new Hardy Boys books.
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

SDLagent

Quote from: hardygirl847 on October 09, 2011, 06:09:42 PM
A relaunch is highly unlikely but I just HOPE that some revamp or something better is coming along...versus nothing. I can't imagine a world without new Hardy Boys books.

Other than a brief hiatus in the 80s, this would be the first time in over 80 years.

tomswift2002

Quote from: SDLagent on October 10, 2011, 03:30:44 PM
Other than a brief hiatus in the 80s, this would be the first time in over 80 years.

Actually, there was an even briefer hiatus back in 1999/2000, when #158 The London Deception came out in late-August 1999 (with a September copyright date), and then there was no mention of #159 Daredevils until it unexpectedly showed up on bookstore shelves in mid-January 2000.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

SDLagent

But that's not even a year-long interruption.

tomswift2002

Quote from: SDLagent on October 11, 2011, 02:41:18 PM
But that's not even a year-long interruption.

No, but it was close to half-a-year and, as I remember, people were wondering if S&S had just cancelled the series without telling anyone, especially since the Casefiles & SuperMystery'88 series had been cancelled over a year previously, and then even when #159 Daredevils came out and S&S had released the titles up to #162 The End Of The Trail, people were wondering if the series was doomed.  Plus, back then in 2000, I remember that up here in Canada, and I believe there were even a few reports from the US, but for some reason a number of bookstores, mostly in the smaller cities and towns and that were not connected with a major book chain, didn't have listings for #'s 161-164, even after the books had been released.  The stores eventually got the listings a few months later, but at that point it seemed more like S&S was either trying to kill the series but being the only place people could order the books from.