what became of Iola?

Started by curo, July 06, 2008, 07:26:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

curo

she died in the first book of case files but how come she's around in the undercover brothers? ???

SkyWarp

The Undercover Brothers do not take place after the Casefiles.  In fact, they may be a total new universe as compared to the Casefiles and older books.  Thus Iola is alive. 

tomswift2002

As far as the UB's go, for the first 5 or 6 volumes of the regular novels, the books continue on with the continuity established in the Grosset & Dunlap/Digest lines where Iola didn't die.  But since then, it seems like the only continous thing in the series is ATAC, otherwise since #7 the continuity has been restarted with every book it seems. 

If you are looking as to how the continuity goes overall, here's a list:

Frank and Joe Hardy/The Hardy Boys Are: The Clues Brothers (1997-2000, boys are 7 and 8, respectively)

The Hardy Boys (1927-1979)

The Hardy Boys Digest (1979-2005)

Possible Alternate Universe: The Hardy Boys Casefiles (1987-1998)/
A Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys Supermystery (1988-1998)/
A Hardy Boys and Tom Swift Ultra Thriller (1992-1993)

Definite Alternate Universe: The Hardy Boys Undercover Brothers (2005-)
A Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys Super Mystery (2006-)
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

tomswift2002

Some people believe the Casefiles are the continuation of the Digest series and take place after #190 Motocross Madness, while others believe that the Casefiles start just after Digest #85 The Skyfire Puzzle, which in both cases mean the Hardy's first case at 15/16 was The Tower Treasure.  But with the #85 theory that means that in one universe Iola (Casefiles) died while she is alive (Digest) in the other. 

And the UB's take place in an unrelated universe.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

NZone

OR ... the third option. This is a little known fact, but my brother's cousin's ex-wife's stepdaughter's great-uncle's friend's neighbor used to know a guy who took out the trash for the guy who cleaned the pool of one of the ghost-writers and in casefile 128, the hardy boys wake up and realize the whole casefiles series was a dream. Then they get a phone call from Iola who wants them to take her to the mall for a special surprise the day of the practice Philip Walker rally. The book was titled "WHAT??" and was supposed to close the casefiles. In case you haven't figured out by now I was making this all up.
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men.

Jokerette

she probably was alive because some writers never read some books. i know, i know, but Stefan Petrucha only read 1 Nancy Drew book and he is writing them!
I know that all you need is love, but I believe an Xbox Kinnect is pretty essential too, am I right?

Olivia

I agree with SkyWarp and tomswift2002.

For HB:UB, it's like they were trying to do some kind of continuity and then failed (as tomswift2002 pointed out). I wonder if the series can be considered a spin-off or something.

I've read that some consider the Casefiles to be a spin-off, but I suppose they used the term loosely. I think the point was to show that the main basis is Frank and Joe, obviously, but also includes their friends and their town, BUT for a older readership and more mature plots. Again it may or may not be a continuation from the Digests.

In HB:UB, they are on their own most of the time, doing ATAC's bidding.

Sam Spade

Quote from: negative_zone on July 06, 2008, 12:04:14 PM
OR ... the third option. This is a little known fact, but my brother's cousin's ex-wife's stepdaughter's great-uncle's friend's neighbor used to know a guy who took out the trash for the guy who cleaned the pool of one of the ghost-writers and in casefile 128, the hardy boys wake up and realize the whole casefiles series was a dream. Then they get a phone call from Iola who wants them to take her to the mall for a special surprise the day of the practice Philip Walker rally. The book was titled "WHAT??" and was supposed to close the casefiles. In case you haven't figured out by now I was making this all up.

You're a real sarcastic fella aren't you, n_zone. ;)
Check out my Youtube Channel: :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/SageDuvall

SDLagent

As far as the continuities/universes go, I have an article on The Hardy Boys Wiki, about the different continuities.

http://hardyboys.wikia.com/wiki/Continuities

JH4

She is never seen or heard from again

Olivia

This is nothing new (and I probably pointed out this link before) but here's more info if anyone's interested - scroll down to #3.

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Hills/5567/faq.html

Bigfootman

Ioa seems to be slowly being earsed from the UBs

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

bozonessinc

Well she was in Murder at the mall. Maybe next she will be another book, what do we know really at the moment.

003Robin457

Ubs came before Murder at the mall if they are even in the same universe. I think she is alive. First of all NO body, major hint there.

Olivia

How did the UBs come before Murder at the Mall when MATM is a UB?

You have a point about "no body", but if she was literally/for sure burnt to a crisp there wouldn't be one.