Graphic Novel compilation releases

Started by MacGyver, May 17, 2013, 02:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

I just ran across these online- looks like Europe (perhaps? Not positive where this is from) has gotten some huge compilation books of some of the graphic novels for both The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew. Each volume comes with 7 stories in one book containing over 600 pages! It seems that it's a rather random selection of books, so there is no numerical order or anything. It's more like a "Best Of"-type selection.  Check them out. :) 8)

"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MacGyver

The publisher is Euro Kids, as far as I can tell- so I'm guessing that these are distributed in Europe primarily. (Or were anyway). For some reason, I keep finding them listed on online sites for places in India, so I don't know if maybe these are more for the Asian market then or what. It's a bit confusing, but an interesting find nonetheless. I'm trying to track down some further information on these. I have found that Euro Kids also has published some "3-in-1" sets as well. This seems very typical of European publishing- for some reason, it seems like this was and is a huge trend for British publishers as I've seen a number of omnibus versions of The Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, The Three Investigators, Enid Blyton books, etc. and others that have come from British publishers over the years. It is a great deal for the money of course- but I don't know if many collectors bother to get them all, especially if they've already got the individual books anyway.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Sleuth

Joe Hardy said "Iola is alive, I can feel it. I couldn't feel this strongly about someone who was dead."

"Then I won't tell you to give up hope," Frank said softly. 8)

tomswift2002

It seems that the Euro Kids publisher is based in Mumbai, India, not anywhere in Europe.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

Okay- thanks for the information. I kept seeing the books listed at online stores in India, but then I also saw the publisher's name and it was kinda confusing.

MacGyver

Well, it looks like we are getting an American version of some graphic novel compilations.
Check out this listing on Amazon.com - it's a listing for The Nancy Drew Diaries #1- a new graphic novel from Papercutz! Yay! Unfortunately, it's not as exciting as I first thought. This item is due to be released February 11, 2014. However, this is actually just a collection of the first two graphic novels of Papercutz's Nancy Drew Girl Detective series. There is a new cover though reflecting the name of the new Nancy Drew series.
   At first I thought it was new comics based on the Nancy Drew Diaries series, but I guess not. Oh well. I wonder if a similar item will be released for The Hardy Boys- it seems to make sense that it would... but it doesn't look Papercutz has focused much on The Hardy Boys anymore- otherwise there might also be a graphic novel series based on The Hardy Boys: Secret Files series as well, but that hasn't happened yet. (Though there is one available based on the Nancy Drew and the Clue Crew books.)

MacGyver

Just to clarify- thus far I haven't seen any such listing for an item like this for The Hardy Boys online anywhere- but it doesn't mean it might not still happen later on. Anyway, I guess it's nice to have a rerelease of the Nancy Drew graphic novels, since I'm sure some may have gone out of print by now or are at least hard to find.

MacGyver

Here's another picture of the Indian Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew graphic novels.

mystrygirl87

The editor's letter in the latest Nancy Drew Clue Crew graphic novel from Papercutz mentioned that the new editions of the Nancy Drew stories with the Nancy Drew Diaries logo were in a large part the result of fans wanting to read the graphic novels and unable to find them. We should send lots of mail if we want the Hardys to get the same treatment!

My guess is that Simon and Schuster probably still has to green light any projects from Papercutz, and that the ending of the graphic novels was a precursor to dropping the Girl Detective and Undercover Brothers series, since they were meant to be aligned. For Nancy Drew, it's as simple as changing to the Diaries title. I think the first few Hardy Boys graphic novels could still make the jump, since I believe there was no mention of ATAC, but maybe not later ones.

tomswift2002

Only the first graphic novel (Ocean Of Osyria) contained no mention of ATAC.  All the other graphics mentioned or referred to ATAC.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

Thanks for the further info, mystrygirl87. :) 8)
   Yes, it'd be nice to see new graphic novel compilations for The Hardy Boys too, though I don't really care too much, since I already own all the graphic novels. (Thankfully, I was able to get them as they were released.)

hardyboysfan

ooh, seven stories in one book, nice.