a Shorter UB

Started by Bigfootman, October 02, 2008, 07:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigfootman

Here is a short virsion of the UB series:

(Hardy Boys finnish mission)

(They go back home, and before they can do ANYTHING socal, another mission comes)

(They watch it and try to explain to their mom why they have to leave)

(Around or after this time, something happens that ruins continulaty)

(They get to their destination)

(Long boring talking squence happens)

Frank: Let's go sneck into someone offace even we are going to almost get caught.

(After they get away, more and more talking happens)

(Frank and Joe run into bad guy)

Bad guy: I will beat you!

Joe: No you won't!

(Frank and Joe win in two seconds)

(Bad guy is arested)

The end.

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

tomswift2002

Good review of what happens in the UB's.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

Bigfootman

Yeah sadly, It was nowhere as short as Book-A-Minute

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

Olivia

Ohhh, that's pretty much it.

I mean, there's nothing wrong with formulas necessarily. It's definitely done in the Originals. But in this way, there's seems to be no room for real development or complicated plot turns.

In the Casefiles, now that I think of it, they really have the quality of an individual story or movie. The UBs are the same episode with a couple different details almost.

tomswift2002

Quote from: Iola.Alive on October 02, 2008, 11:05:16 PM
The UBs are the same episode with a couple different details almost.

I just finished the Murder House Trilogy and I could swear to tell the truth in a court of law that the characters were exactly the same in the three books as the characters from Bayport Buccaneers & Feeding Frenzy, just with different names.  Exact same character traits and personality but with a different name.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

Olivia

All the teens and stuff. Yeah, I get your drift. That is pretty bad. Especially with some of the stereotypes and/or rigid characterizations. Like that Ripley girl as a spoiled socialite. Not to say there isn't some truth to a person like that, but you know what I mean.

Like I said in another thread, they take one characteristic and exaggerate it greatly. They even do that with Frank and Joe.

bozonessinc

ITS NOT ALWAYS THE SAME

tomswift2002

Quote from: bozonessinc on October 16, 2008, 11:11:52 AM
ITS NOT ALWAYS THE SAME

IT IS ALWAYS THE SAME!  THERE IS NO CHANGE IN THE HARDY BOYS UNDERCOVER BROTHERS!

Olivia

Quote from: bozonessinc on October 16, 2008, 11:11:52 AM
ITS NOT ALWAYS THE SAME

In which specific case? Or do you just mean overall?

Anyways, it may or may not be exaggerated, but that first post does have the gist of some/most of the UBs.

bozonessinc

The characters change in every UB. The place changes...

Olivia

But some of them have the same kind of underlying prototype.

For one example, the girl (don't recall her name) in The Mummy's Curse seems to be the same as Ripley in the Murder House Trilogy. They're both rich socialites or whatever, so it's understandable that they may be similar. Something like this can be good in a way too, because we quickly understand the character and can immediately picture them.

It can also be bad, though, because there's no distinction as people are generally not predictable or cut into a "type". For example, there always seems to be a tough guy in the UBs who isn't nice, or there's a good-looking girl who's interested in Frank. This happens a lot. I think people are more complex, and it would make for more of an interesting and original story if the UBs would develop a bit more on that. Maybe these descriptions are okay to start with, but if the results are the same every time...well.

However, the UBs do focus on a different aspect. They are plot-driven rather than character-driven, so that makes a HUGE difference. In addition, some predictable characteristics can actually enhance the series if used well - like Joe's go-with-the-flow attitude staying the same, along with how he likes to jump first, ask questions later. However, he is a main character who should stay consistent.

One more thing - now that I think about it, the criminals in the UBs aren't that set apart from each other. They may do different criminal acts and be different people, but I don't feel like anything about them make them that memorable.

In some books I can remember them, like Wanted or others where we kind of "get" or "understand" the criminals. But many other criminals in the books are easily forgotten.

As I stated, though, the UBs are plot-driven so that's a big influence.

NZone

(read first two sentences then skipped to end) ahh, I get it now
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men.

Olivia

::)

I'm flattered. But fortunately it was for bozonessinc's benefit. And those who read the UBs.

bozonessinc

I am reading casefiles now too, I found 60 in the local library!!

tomswift2002

Quote from: bozonessinc on October 17, 2008, 11:17:12 AM
I am reading casefiles now too, I found 60 in the local library!!

How do you like them, and which books have you or are you currently reading?