Anybody Else Seen this?

Started by Centrion, August 04, 2008, 03:03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Centrion

It may be old news, but while searching on eBay I came across this:

Here's the Plot:
Frank Hardy, 22, is a serious, inquisitive and ambitious junior reporter for The Metropolitan Eagle. His easygoing younger brother Joe, 20, is a world class computer hacker who prides himself on his ability to penetrate virtually any system. In this character-driven mystery / adventure series, The Hardy Boys stick together - and it is this love and loyalty that helps make them a crack team of super sleuths. However, the brothers' inherent differences create an amusing dynamic that adds a light comic touch

13 EPISODES, 290 MINUTES.

It's described as Season 1...

Here's the link to the ebay Auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-HARDY-BOYS-Complete-First-Season-1-One-DVD-NEW_W0QQitemZ320280284938QQihZ011QQcategoryZ617QQtcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting
Don't worry, I have a plan.
-Frank
Right. Every time you say that, I usually do something stupid, like jump in a septic tank.
-Joe

Olivia

It's actually a decent show. Good plots and humour, even though the episodes are short.

It is a bit different from the main premise of who the "Hardy Boys" are (as you can tell in the description), but it's still a good series. It only had one season. Too bad.

tomswift2002

That DVD's been out since 2006.  The series originally aired in Syndication from September to December 1995, with only 13 episodes produced.  Back between June and August 2006, on Monday to Thursday nights, YTV East in Canada reaired the series as a summer replacement series alternating each night between the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew. 

The reairing was probably also meant to be a promotion for the DVD's, although I never saw any ads on during the shows for the DVD's.  Kaboom Entertainment was only able to secure the Canadian release rights for the DVD's, so so far, the series has only been released on Region 1 NTSC DVD's in Canada, and there has been no word on any American or other region release for the show.  Most American Hardy Boys fans have imported the DVD's into the US because Canada and the US use the Region Code and Television standard 1 and NTSC in both countries. 

Now then, the series was released with the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew shows being on 4 DVD's in 2 seperate packages, but for $10 CDN more you could get both shows in a carboard slipcase cover (same type of cardboard that was used for VHS tapes) in the same two releases, but for about $15 CDN less than buying the 2 shows seperately.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

tomswift2002

Oh, and Kaboom didn't do a lot of video compression on the shows, since they are only 1/2 hour shows, mixed in Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, and 4:3 standard.  Plus there are only about 6-7 episodes per disc, and no bonus content, so don't expect any audio commentaries or special features on these discs.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

FrankJoeATAC

We got it for Christmas, and they're pretty good, but they are short. The last two episodes were crossovers, with Tracy Ryan as Nancy Drew.

There's also an old Nancy Drew series that was (I think) made around the same time as the HB series, that we've watched.

Olivia

The opening in b&w:

Da na na na na na na na na na na na
Da NA NA NA NA
Da NA NA NA NA
Da NA NA NA NA
Da NA NA NA NA

Anyways, it was so surreal when my sister got the dvds last year. It was literally 13 years since we last saw it, and as soon as the opening ran we were taken back in time. I think I even started laughing. It was so weird. Now that I think about it ? I wonder if it was these shows that introduced me to the books.

So, I think the series is pretty good. It was different ? but it worked, and it was witty. I cringed at the whole Frank and his Editor thing, though. I also mentioned this before, but the restaurant they always eat at is called ?F.W. Dixon?. And one of the funniest episodes was the one with the parrot.

As for the Nancy Drew series ? I think they cast George the best of the three, and overall it?s not too bad, but it?s kind of weak. Probably because the plots can?t really function in 20-22 minutes.

The best Nancy Drew ever was Pamela Sue Martin, followed by that girl in the 2002 movie. Emma Roberts could have been better if they got the character straight. Even though some of the ?77 episodes are weird, I?m more of a ?character? person so that?s one of the more important things to me.

Funny, though, how a cancelled series with just a few episodes ends up on dvd. They probably figured they could use the episodes to make some money instead of them sitting around and collecting dust.

FrankJoeATAC

Quote from: Rainbows & Lollipops on May 22, 2009, 12:35:47 PM
The opening in b&w:

Da NA NA NA NA
Da NA NA NA NA
Da NA NA NA NA
Da NA NA NA NA

Anyways, it was so surreal when my sister got the dvds last year. It was literally 13 years since we last saw it, and as soon as the opening ran we were taken back in time. I think I even started laughing.

I know! When me and my little sister watched it for the first time, and that "theme song" came on, we almost stopped watching.

As for the Nancy Drew series ? I think they cast George the best of the three, and overall it?s not too bad, but it?s kind of weak. Probably because the plots can?t really function in 20-
22 minutes.

Yeah, sometimes it would get slightly exciting, then basically turn out to be nothing, and end. I hated the episode with Ned in it though. He and Nancy had like a weird relationship :-\.

Olivia

Yeah, the theme's kind of cheesy, but I sort of like it anyways. The music's catchy. I think it just has to do with how the show has been in my life lol. I know it's weird at first.

That annoying Nancy/Ned thing is what it's like in some of the "Files" and "Files"-related books (I think :-\).

JoeHardyRocks

Also, this might not be the point, but that is not how I imagine Nerd at all! That Nerd is surfer-dude-ish and ugly!
"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

Olivia

I know. Ned's suppose to have brown hair and eyes (I think).

And Nancy's all wrong!

tomswift2002

I must say, probably the funniest moment in both series was at the end of the Hardy Boys episode The Last Laugh when Nancy tells the boys, after they start arguing, that she was glad that she was an only child.  I just had to laugh when I first heard that on the DVD, since she's telling her "literary" brothers that she is an only child, when the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew came from the same "literary" father, Edward Stratemeyer.