Swearing in the Hardy Boys

Started by The#1Hardy-BoysFan, August 08, 2007, 01:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do You Think of Swearing in Hardy Boys Books?

Don?t like it, these books are meant for kids.
11 (64.7%)
Like it, realism is good.
3 (17.6%)
Don?t care.
1 (5.9%)
Don?t care if the bad guys swear, but the Hardy boys shouldn?t.
1 (5.9%)
I didn?t know there was swearing in the Hardy Boys.
1 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 15

SDLagent

Vote and tell every body what you think.

I voted for Don?t like it, these books are meant for kids.

Kerin

I voted fo don't like these books are made for kids.
If Christ had been a philosopher, they could have debated Him.Had He been a religionist, they could have ignored Him.But Christ was love.What do you do with that?

Lola

The words that they have used I don't consider swearing, at least not hard core swearing. You hear these words in PG-13 movies! I voted for realism is good.

SkyWarp

I'm not a fan of it in any books.  And the "realism" arguement doesn't fly with me.  Where I come from no one ever swore.  Reality is what someone makes it to be.  There is no set reality that everyone agrees too. 

The first time I ever really heard anyone swear was when I started umpiring adult softball games.  Oh, and they got thrown out too if it was directed toward another player or the umpire.  And if they said anything "hardcore" (as some put it) and anyone beyond the field could hear it, then they were tossed even if it wasn't directed toward someone. 

Anyway, why not teach what is correct english and grammar and not some watered down language that contains worthless words. 

Just my opinion, so take it with your own grain of salt. 

"You!"

I disliked the swearing, I kinda wonder if they did it for the publicity it's getting with the readers.  I barely finished reading Operation Survival just two days ago, I wanted to see what the commotion was about.  It wasn't so bad, but considering all those years the Hardy's went without swearing makes me feel bad for the kids who do read it today. 
Frank, I think, could have used a more aggressive approach, like talking back or arguing with the director of the camp to show his rebelliousness nature-- without using swear words.  There are many alternatives ,as well as a variety of better vocabulary terms to be used instead the one's chosen.  As for the villains, I guess I would prefer if they wrote them in as " they swore" instead of actually using the words also.
CAB :)

Centrion

I voted No. I hated the swearing in Operation: Survival.
Don't worry, I have a plan.
-Frank
Right. Every time you say that, I usually do something stupid, like jump in a septic tank.
-Joe

tomswift2002

I voted for don't like it, these books are meant for kids.  You know, it is okay if the author talks about a character swearing "off set", so to speak.  But to actually have it in the book, that is like saying that it is okay for young kids to be drinking alcohol by the age of 8.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

Olivia

I like everyone's arguments against swearing in the books. I think swearing featured in media (and even sometimes real life) is meant to show off how "tough" someone seemingly is...but people can be taken less seriously when they curse :-\

SDLagent

Quote from: Light123 on August 09, 2007, 10:57:06 AM
I voted No. I hated Operation: Survival, and  I hate the swearing.

Why did you hate Operation: Survival ?  I thougt it was good!

tomswift2002

Quote from: oliviatocali on August 09, 2007, 06:46:49 PM
I like everyone's arguments against swearing in the books. I think swearing featured in media (and even sometimes real life) is meant to show off how "tough" someone seemingly is...but people can be taken less seriously when they curse :-\

Quite true.  I seem to recall an old TV show (possible Circle Square) dealing with the topic very strongly, and other shows that would be talking about bullying, and how swear words are really used by cowards to try and "beef up" their persona.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

Sam Spade

Quote from: "You!" on August 09, 2007, 03:00:35 AM
As for the villains, I guess I would prefer if they wrote them in as " they swore" instead of actually using the words also.

I aggree! :)
I also voted For: "I don't like it.These books are meant for kid's".
Check out my Youtube Channel: :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/SageDuvall

White Eagle

I voted for do't like it, they're meant for kids. They're for more mature readers, but still, you could make these books PG-13 movies for crying out loud. >:(

I mean, you can insult somebody without swearing at them
A man with wings can do anything, but a man with a rocket can do Everything!

tomswift2002

Plus you can get angry at something, other than a person, without having to swear to indicate that you are angry that you dropped a hammer on your foot.

White Eagle

Like mothers always say, "If you dont have anything nice to say,".....
A man with wings can do anything, but a man with a rocket can do Everything!

FrankJoeATAC

I love all the books but hate all the swearing, especialy in operation suvival and in terror on tour. I printed over in terror on tour and wrote darn and I white-outted operation suvival.