Books set in Canada

Started by The#1Hardy-BoysFan, July 03, 2007, 02:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomswift2002

Quote from: Dinosaur Dan on September 19, 2010, 10:46:34 AM
Speed Times Five takes place somewhere in Qubec, not sure where, don't really remember

I think someone had better pull out their copy of the book to see.  Unfortunately I can't get to my copy right now since it is in a box ready for our move at the end of the month.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

SDLagent

Well, Speed Times Five involves racing right? You should be able to figure out where it takes place in Qu?bec by looking-up the race tracks there.

tomswift2002

Quote from: SDLagent on September 20, 2010, 09:34:35 PM
Well, Speed Times Five involves racing right? You should be able to figure out where it takes place in Qu?bec by looking-up the race tracks there.

Not really, since the author could've invented names for the race tracks.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

SDLagent

But he might have based it on a real track. It's a long-shot, I know, but worth a try.

MacGyver

Okay, I have this book out right in front of me so I will try to answer this question. In "Speed Times Five",  the back of the book says that The Hardy Boys (along with Chet Morton and Jamal Watkins- this is a typo on the back of the book- he's clearly identified as Jamal Hawkins in the book itself- the same friend of the Hardys that shows up in a few other books toward the end of this series)- anyway, they go for the Fire Creek Mountain Race in Canada- which includes events like downhill mountain biking, kayaking, cross-country hiking and climbing, biking through the city streets of Montreal, and a high-speed SeaZoom race on Lake Champlain.
(Which sounds pretty cool actually- like the Iron Man events.) The first chapter of the book starts with The Hardys and Chet and Jamal crossing the USA/Canada border. It mentions they get on Highway 133 heading for Montreal. And they eventually go into the Laurentian Mountains.
So there's the extent of the Hardys' trip to Canada in this book.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"