Hardy Men

Started by FrankJoeATAC, August 24, 2008, 05:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think the Hardy Men will be a good movie?

Yes
3 (9.4%)
No
17 (53.1%)
Not Sure
12 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 30

hardygirl847

I feel like Season 3 is the "lost episodes" because I am not old enough to have watched them on TV. I have never seen them (except for the first episode that is on youtube) and it's just not fair! They are depriving me of knowing what happens AND doing it without Nancy Drew (sorry I'm not a huge fan of hers). So powers that be...PLEASE release this with or without the Hardy Men movie (preferably without)!!!! :)

OK tantrum over. :)
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

MacGyver

I hope this isn't what the movie will look like and/or be about.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MacGyver

Of course, this might be a good description of fans' reactions to this version of a Hardy Boys movie. lol ;D
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

hardygirl847

LOL Quite funny. That should go in the "pop culture" thread too. I hope Frank doesn't go bald! :)

The look on their faces is how I feel about Hardy Men.
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

MacGyver

Ran across this on SciFiWire. It's from last year, but does have a few scant pieces of information regarding the writer of the film's research and writing process. Not very promising honestly, but at least he does say he's read some of the books. That's always a plus.
http://scifiwire.com/2009/06/imagine-the-hardy-boys-as.php

One of the posters there had a pretty half-decent suggestion for an actual movie about The Hardy Boys. David Henrie (of Disney's "The Wizards of Waverly Place") and Joe Jonas (of Disney's "JONAS") as Frank and Joe. Of course, Joe Jonas would have to dye his hair, but I could honestly actually see that working.

hardygirl847

" these guys who are middle-aged men who are completely screwed up from having peaked in high school, basically, and have not evolved since then. They don't speak to each other anymore, live in different places, have disavowed their past, [and] have to come back in and sort of really deal with their own really complicated psyches."

To me this is already a huge turn OFF!!  ::)  :'(  :-\

Quote from: MacGyver on March 15, 2010, 10:28:55 AM

One of the posters there had a pretty half-decent suggestion for an actual movie about The Hardy Boys. David Henrie (of Disney's "The Wizards of Waverly Place") and Joe Jonas (of Disney's "JONAS") as Frank and Joe. Of course, Joe Jonas would have to dye his hair, but I could honestly actually see that working.

I like both David Henrie and Joe Jonas but to me they both seem like Franks. It would have be one of them and someone else as Joe.

For those of you who do not know them...here's a looksie. :) David is up first.

When asked how he'd prepare for a role in Spider-Man should the opportunity present itself he [David] said, "Well I have been involved in martial arts for my whole life and I am very acrobatic, active, and athletic so I would continue to do a lot more of what I have been doing with mixed martial arts." (JUST LIKE A DARK HAIRED HARDY!) :)

SDLagent

I don't have high hopes for this movie, and the interview doesn't  make me feel any better about it (but it doesn't make me feel any worse about it, either).

MacGyver

I like the Jonas brothers just fine, (not in the sense that I listen to their music necessarily outside of hearing it on the Disney channel sometimes ;))- but I think I'd pick David Henrie over Joe Jonas. There are a few episodes of "The Wizards of Waverly Place" where he really reminds me of Frank Hardy. Just watch some of the episodes where he's fighting mummies or vampires and werewolves, etc. That could work. And hey- while we're doing a modern Disney version of The Hardy Boys, how about throwing in Dylan Sprouse as Joe Hardy? He seems to encompass some of Joe's traits on "The Suite Life of Zack and Cody" and "The Suite Life on Deck" (actually, I tend to think of Cody as Frank on the show and Zack as Joe anyway, so that could work well.)

hardygirl847

Quote from: MacGyver on March 15, 2010, 11:09:31 PM
I like the Jonas brothers just fine, (not in the sense that I listen to their music necessarily outside of hearing it on the Disney channel sometimes ;))- but I think I'd pick David Henrie over Joe Jonas. There are a few episodes of "The Wizards of Waverly Place" where he really reminds me of Frank Hardy. Just watch some of the episodes where he's fighting mummies or vampires and werewolves, etc. That could work. And hey- while we're doing a modern Disney version of The Hardy Boys, how about throwing in Dylan Sprouse as Joe Hardy? He seems to encompass some of Joe's traits on "The Suite Life of Zack and Cody" and "The Suite Life on Deck" (actually, I tend to think of Cody as Frank on the show and Zack as Joe anyway, so that could work well.)

I agree!

Shameful confession time....

I actually started watched Wizards of Waverly Place BECAUSE David Henrie reminded me sooooo much of Frank!!   :P

I don't think Dylan Sprouse looks old enough but he's a much better possibility than others. I also think that Cody is more Frankish and Zack is more Joeish. Glad I'm not the only one!

Come to think of it...the Hardys have inspired MANY duos....or at least have a lot in common with them. Perhaps I will make this a new thread.

:)

MacGyver

Just saw this article today from mania.com - interesting. It's their picks for detectives that need a reboot- and yes, they listed The Hardy Boys. Check out their picks for a movie version-
http://www.mania.com/10-movies-sleuths-need-sherlock-holmes-reboot_article_119576.html

Shia LaBeouf and Tobey Maguire? Not sure I'm seeing that one... Though if that were to be the cast, I suppose Shia would take on the role of Joe with Tobey as Frank- but that would be better fitting for "The Hardy Men" concept than a true movie for "The Hardy Boys".

hardygirl847

Nice find MacGyver!

But I do not agree with this article! Well...I do think it was a good idea to make them less racist and crude (gasp! at the thought of them staying that way!). Other than that though...NO.

"Why It Needs a Reboot: The Hardy Boys need to grow up. Get them interested in girls and piss them off a bit, and it could get interesting. They should still be young to stay true to their characters, but make them flawed and full of angst. That would speak to a new generation of kids frustrated with the status quo."

What?! If this is how they would reboot it, I don't want any part of it!! The sad thing is if they do make a movie...no matter how opposed to it I will be....I will probably end up seeing it somehow just out of sheer curiosity. Grr.

And I don't think Shia and Tobey would make a good brother combination. Transformers plus Spiderman? Nah...I don't see it. They are good actors but I don't think it would work.

Why can they never get this right???! And if they continue to fail at it, I hope they just leave the Hardys ALONE.

SDLagent

His reboot suggestion sounds sort of like the Casefiles, actually.

MacGyver

QuoteNice find MacGyver!
Thanks. :)
I haven't read enough of the Original Text books yet to know for sure, but I've never seen the Hardy Boys as racist or crude. But it will be interesting to read more of the OT books and see how Frank and Joe were characterized then. And the Hardy Boys are mentioned as being interested in girls (Joe with Iola and Frank with Callie of course) from the very first book in the OT. Though the Hardys are presented as highly moral and virtuous (which is definitely good)- they certainly aren't perfect and have their flaws. Joe's main struggle is usually his impetousness and anger and Frank seems to sometimes maybe come off as prideful and of course, he gets angry sometimes too.  (Which of course, anger by itself is not necessarily bad- but it can lead to bad deeds of course.) I don't know that The Hardy Boys need to be full of angst though- I really get tired of that cliche of every teenager coming off like Holden Caulfield who can't deal with growing up and lashes out at against the status quo and is frustrated at the world. The Casefiles does implement some of these things- but I don't think I would consider the characterizations of Frank and Joe as angsty, really.
        And yeah- still need better actor choices for Frank and Joe as the teenage Hardy Boys at ages 18 and 17 respectively.

SDLagent

I wouldn't say that the Hardys from the 20s, 30s, and 40s were "racist and crude", but they weren't the perfect boy scouts they turned into in the 50s, either.

tomswift2002

Quote from: SDLagent on March 31, 2010, 03:55:11 PM
His reboot suggestion sounds sort of like the Casefiles, actually.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.  The Casefiles mixed with the 22 and 20 year old Hardy Boys from the 1995 TV series.  Maybe have one of them married or engaged, just starting life...

But with Dick Tracy on that list, I thought the 1990's movie was pretty good and it was a favorite of mine when I was a child (even though I didn't see it till about 1993).  But I've read that since 2005 the film and television rights to Dick Tracy have been held up in court, since Warren Beatty claims that he still owns the film and television rights, while Tribune Media wants to get them back so that they can put a show, similar to Smallville on the air, and Tribune claims that they've gone about the correct procedure, as outlined in Warren Beatty's 1985 purchase agreement, to cancelling his ownership of the rights.  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Tracy_(1990_film)#Sequel) (http://www.cbc.ca/arts/film/story/2009/03/21/beatty-tribune-tracy.html)
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca