2013 Book Club Sign-up

Started by tomswift2002, October 20, 2012, 09:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomswift2002

For the past three years we have been reading a book a month.  New members are welcome to join in. 

Sign-up here for what month you'd like to lead the discussion.  At first we'll start off with one month per person.  If we find later (Deceember 1?) on that there are months that no one's signed-up for then we may let people who have already signed up a chance to lead in another month.

And please remember to put your forum name, the book title and what series (Grosset & Dunlap Mystery Stories, Simon & Schuster Mystery Stories, Casefiles, Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys SuperMystery'88, Hardy Boys and Tom Swift Ultra Thriller, Hardy Boys Undercover Brothers, Hardy Boys Undercover Brothers Super Mystery, Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys Super Mystery'07, Graphic Novel, Clues Brothers, Secret Files, Be A Detective, Super Sleuths!...I don't think I forgot any series---and Hardy Boys Adventures doesn't count because it's not out yet, and because the books will be getting their own discussion pages as they are released!) 

Dinosaur Dan if you want to do High Stakes again, go ahead and repost it.

And just copy and paste the section below in your responses.

January-
February-
March-
April-
May-
June-
July-
August-
September- tomswift2002 Stress Point (Casefiles #125)
October-
November-
December-

The Following Books Have already been done:

March 2010 - The Tower Treasure (Grosset & Dunlap)
April 2012 - Thick As Thieves (Casefiles)
May- tomswift2002, Clues Brothers #3 First Day, Worst Day

June-SDLagent, The Hardy Boys #2 The House on the Cliff

July- tomswift2002, Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys SuperMystery'88, Murder On The Fourth of July

August- SDLagent, The Hardy Boys #10 What Happened at Midnight

September- hardygirl847, Secret Files, Trouble at the Arcade

October- MacGyver, Casefiles, Dead of Night #80

November-hardygirl847, Digest, Trapped at Sea #75

December- MacGyver- The Hardy Boys (Originals) #8 "The Mystery of Cabin Island"

January- Olivia, The Borderline Case (#25 Casefile)

February- Hardygirl847-Hardy Boys Digests # 96-Wipeout

March- AlwaysaJoeFan-Hardy Boys Casefiles ?The Genius Thieves

April- tomswift2002 The Hardy Boys #94 Breakdown In Axeblade

May- SDLagent, Hardy Boys Originals, The Melted Coins

June- MacGyver The Hardy Boys #115 Sabotage at Sports City

July- AlwaysaJoeFan-Hardy Boys Casefile: Beyond the Law.

August- MacGyver The Hardy Boys Casefiles #14 Too Many Traitors

September- SDLagent, Hardy Boys Originals, The Secret of the Old Mill #3

October- Olivia-The Secret Warning (#17 Original, revised)

November- Hardygirl847- Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew SuperMystery-Tour of Danger

December- tomswift2002 - Hardy Boys #147 Trial and Terror

January - Katie Dead on Arrival (Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys SuperMystery '88 #23)
February - AlwaysAJoefan Danger Zone (Hardy Boys Casefiles #37)
March - MacGyver Extreme Danger (Hardy Boys Undercover Brothers, #1)
April - tomswift2002 Final Gambit (Hardy Boys Casefiles #62)
May -  Dinosaur Dan High Survival (Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys SuperMystery '88)
June - Top Ten ways to die(Hardy boys undercover Brother, #8
July - Olivia The Shore Road Mystery (Grosset & Dunlap)
August - P. Walker - (Casefiles #2 Evil Inc.)
September - Katie - Operation Phoenix #1 Endangered Species
October - MacGyver - Operation Phoenix #2 No Mercy
November - Katie - Operation Phoenix #3 The Phoenix Equation 
December - tomswift2002 Time Bomb,  A Hardy Boys and Tom Swift Ultra Thriller

VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

tomswift2002

VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

MacGyver

Still thinking on this one, but I'm sure I will want to snag one of the months somewhere...
I'll have to see if there are any favorite Hardy Boys books I've been wanting to do still....so many to choose from
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MacGyver

Okay, I'm kinda wanting to do a different kind of book but I don't know if it will really fit the format of this or if many Hardy Boys fans will have this in their collections or not. (Or at least have readible access to it.) Would it be too much to try something like The Hardy Boys Survival Handbook? It does contain 8 short stories but there's not necessarily one flowing narrative or anything, so it's not really the same and I understand that. If it doesn't fit the scope of the book club, that's okay.

If not, then I'll take The Shattered Helmet (The Hardy Boys Mystery Stories #52) for February, if that's cool.

January-
February- MacGyver The Shattered Helmet (The Hardy Boys Mystery Stories #52)
March-
April-
May-
June-
July-
August-
October-
November-
December-

"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

I don't think it matters whether it is one of the short-story books.  But what do the rest of you think?

Hardy Sleuth

Quote from: Tomswift2002 on November 09, 2012, 05:41:59 PM
I don't think it matters whether it is one of the short-story books.  But what do the rest of you think?

I agree - I think it would work fine with the short stories. :) 8)
Joe Hardy said "Iola is alive, I can feel it. I couldn't feel this strongly about someone who was dead."

"Then I won't tell you to give up hope," Frank said softly. 8)

MacGyver

Okay- well, maybe I'll hold off and see how many others take up available slots. If there are still some open slots by the time December rolls around, then maybe I'll take on one of the unclaimed months with The Hardy Boys Survival Handbook.

Hardy Sleuth

Quote from: MacGyver on November 12, 2012, 06:29:26 PM
Okay- well, maybe I'll hold off and see how many others take up available slots. If there are still some open slots by the time December rolls around, then maybe I'll take on one of the unclaimed months with The Hardy Boys Survival Handbook.

Sounds good. 8)
Joe Hardy said "Iola is alive, I can feel it. I couldn't feel this strongly about someone who was dead."

tomswift2002

Well there's still a week left til December 1.

Hardy Sleuth

January- Hardy Sleuth Speed Times Five (The Hardy Boys Mystery Stories #173)
February- MacGyver The Shattered Helment (The Hardy Boys Mystery Stories #52)
March-
April-
May-
June-
July-
August-
October-
November-
December-

MacGyver

Okay- we've got three months filled... still 9 wide open- any other takers?

AlwaysAJoefan

Want to cure this country? Try 2 Chronicles 7:14...

MacGyver

That would be cool.  :) 8) So far we've got representatives from 3 different incarnations of The Hardy Boys- the Digests (i.e. #59-190), the original series (i.e. #1-58, whether original text or revised editions) and The Hardy Boys Casefiles.
It'd be nice to have some representatives from other series as well... like say-
QuoteNancy Drew and Hardy Boys SuperMystery'88, Hardy Boys and Tom Swift Ultra Thriller, Hardy Boys Undercover Brothers, Hardy Boys Undercover Brothers Super Mystery, Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys Super Mystery'07, Graphic Novel, Clues Brothers, Secret Files, Be A Detective, Super Sleuths!

and possibly other books still.

tomswift2002

Well, really it's only 2 incarnations that are represented, since the Originals and Digests are the same series, just different publisher's (of course #'s 59-66 have been released by Grosset & Dunlap and Simon & Schuster).

And, remember with the Hardy Boys/Tom Swift Ultra Thriller series, we are doing "Time Bomb" next month, so "The Alien Factor" is still available for 2013 and beyond.

MacGyver

QuoteWell, really it's only 2 incarnations that are represented, since the Originals and Digests are the same series, just different publisher's (of course #'s 59-66 have been released by Grosset & Dunlap and Simon & Schuster).
True, but I meant "incarnation" in a more loose sense- I know that the Originals and Digests are really the same series, but even so- there is a definite difference in the writing style for both. The Digests started out from #59 in a similar fashion to earlier books, but by #84, the series started changing things up some with fewer chapters and tighter stories. (Not saying that's a bad thing necessarily- I enjoy all of them. I was just saying there is a bit of a difference.) But yes- it is still all the same series.