The Hardy Boys (and Nancy Drew) on MSN Today

Started by SDLagent, February 09, 2010, 04:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SDLagent

MacGyver

"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

It's surprising that, aside from the mention of the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew teaming up in the 70's show and then in the 80's (with the Super Sleuths!, Campfire Stories, and the SuperMysteries'88) there was no mention of the Casefiles, Clues Brothers or the Undercover Brothers series.

But otherwise a good video.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

SDLagent

I think they were more talking about the early books because that's what the kids had read.

hardygirl847

Yeah but I wish there was more emphasis on the other series since they are worthy of reading. If it were not for the Casefiles, I don't know how obsessed I would be with HBs. lol :)
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

SDLagent

I didn't even know about the Casefiles when I started read The Hardy Boys, but the originals lead to them and the other spin-offs.

hardygirl847

Really? That's what got me hooked! I guess it had to do with what was available at the library 13 yrs ago. You would think I would have started with the originals but nope...

Oh well...now I will be able to expand my Hardy horizons and dig into different series. :)
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

tomswift2002

Quote from: hardygirl847 on February 12, 2010, 03:42:31 PM
Really? That's what got me hooked! I guess it had to do with what was available at the library 13 yrs ago. You would think I would have started with the originals but nope...

I remember when I lived in Chalk River back in the early-to-mid-nineties, the library there didn't have any of the Grosset & Dunlap books.  I remember their collection started with #59 Night Of The Werewolf and then they had the Wanderer titles (including Sky Sabotage) and a few Minstrel, but then the vast majority of their collection was Casefiles.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

hardygirl847

Interesting. Now the Original blue spines (well revised) are the majority of what is in the book stores.

SDLagent

That's because they're the one's that are still in print.

tomswift2002

Quote from: SDLagent on February 15, 2010, 12:01:28 AM
That's because they're the one's that are still in print.

Which is surprising considering that the longest time that an Original Text was in print befor ethe Revision period was about 34-36 years, while 2009 was the 50th anniversary of the Revised Texts of The Tower Treasure and The House On The Cliff, with the newest Revision, #38 The Mystery At Devil's Paw, going on 37 years in 2010.

MacGyver

Also, the first 58 Hardy Boys books are really the "original" series of books and everything else can be considered a spin-off series. Technically, the series began in 1927 with "The Tower Treasure", finished in 2005 with "Motocross Madness". 190 books over the course of 78 years. But I think "The Tower Treasure" through "The Sting of the Scorpion" are still generally going to be what many think of when they think of The Hardy Boys. I wonder how much kids today read the original canon vs. UnderCover Brothers? (I'm not even putting the Casefiles in the loop, since they're technically aimed at teenagers anyway and are also out of print.) I know from my experience that kids still enjoy the original 58 books and I'm sure the UnderCover Brothers has some good readership otherwise they wouldn't be selling. Though it seems Simon & Schuster does a pretty good job of cross-advertising for The Hardy Boys across the video games, graphic novels and books.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

hardygirl847

Sure but this video didn't get into that as much...but I see your point. :)

SDLagent

Quote from: MacGyver on February 18, 2010, 05:33:23 PM
Also, the first 58 Hardy Boys books are really the "original" series of books and everything else can be considered a spin-off series. Technically, the series began in 1927 with "The Tower Treasure", finished in 2005 with "Motocross Madness". 190 books over the course of 78 years. But I think "The Tower Treasure" through "The Sting of the Scorpion" are still generally going to be what many think of when they think of The Hardy Boys. I wonder how much kids today read the original canon vs. UnderCover Brothers? (I'm not even putting the Casefiles in the loop, since they're technically aimed at teenagers anyway and are also out of print.) I know from my experience that kids still enjoy the original 58 books and I'm sure the UnderCover Brothers has some good readership otherwise they wouldn't be selling. Though it seems Simon & Schuster does a pretty good job of cross-advertising for The Hardy Boys across the video games, graphic novels and books.

I wouldn't say everything other then the first 58 are spin-offs. Volumes 59-190 are just a continuation.

Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys Super Sleuths!, The Hardy Boys Ghost Stories, and The Hardy Boys Casefiles are a spin-off of The Hardy Boys (1927-2005). Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys SuperMystery and Hardy Boys and Tom Swift Ultra Thriller are spin-offs of The Hardy Boys Casefiles. The Hardy Boys Undercover Brothers replaced The Hardy Boys (1927-2005). The Hardy Boys Graphic Novel, The Hardy Boys Undercover Brothers Super Mystery, Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys Super Mystery, and (maybe) The Hardy Boys The New Case Files are spin-offs of The Hardy Boys Undercover Brothers.

Would you agree?

MacGyver

Yes, definitely. I should have specified better- I do definitely count #59-190 (i.e. The Digests) as a continuation of the original series of The Hardy Boys book.
Nice summary of the various series.  :)