New Hardy Boys TV series coming!

Started by SDLagent, October 02, 2010, 08:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

Ooh- that's a toughie. I'm honestly really no good at choosing favorites. I try to look for the good things I can appreciate in movies and shows and books and generally I can find something. Consequently, I wind up enjoying all of them to some degree and find it hard to pick a favorite. Or it could just be that I'm incredibly indecisive like Wembley. ;D
      But I'll throw out a few favorite episodes anyway-
The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries-
First Season
"The Mystery of the Haunted House"- first episode to kick off the '70s show and I love the spooky fun of it.
"The Mystery of Witches Hollow" because it's pretty much the only episode to really fairly faithfully adapt one of the books- and The Clue of the Screeching Owl is one of my favorites of the books too.
I liked "The Secret of the Jade Kwan Yin" pretty well too.
As for the Nancy Drew episodes- "The Mystery of Pirate's Cove" was a fun one to kick things off
and I really liked "The Secret of the Whispering Walls"- again, mainly because this had some of that kinda-spooky, but-not- too-much fun aspect and it was based on some of the Nancy Drew books- can't remember exactly which ones, but I've heard it is based some on Password to Larkspur Lane and The Secret of Shadow Ranch, I think.
I also like "A Haunting We Will Go".

Second Season
"The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew Meet Dracula" (Parts 1 and 2) are definitely fun episodes. Same with "The Mystery of the Hollywood Phantom" (Parts 1 and 2).
"The Creatures Who Came on Sunday" and "The Strange Fate of Flight 608" because I like the mysterious factors here that play some with the supernatural- UFOs and aliens in one and the Bermuda Triangle in the other.
"Acalpulco Spies" was pretty neat as well- Frank and Joe rescue their dad in this one.
And I have to mention "The House on Possessed Hill" and "Voodoo Doll" (Parts 1 and 2)- WOW! Those two are worthy of an Alfred Hitchcock movie mystery. Those are the kind of episodes that definitely play a lot with the paranormal (which I didn't mind too much depending on how far they go- and how it's presented- and if there's a logical explanation- but yeah- these episodes definitely kept me in suspense and left me just a bit creeped but thrilled too- kinda like when I first read Dead of Night
"Sole Survivor" was also really interesting- I thought it had a really neat storyline.
And "Death Surf" was powerfully intense as well, particularly with Frank's lingering memories of this dream girl.
And for Nancy Drew's last few solo cases- "Nancy Drew's Love Match" because I like tennis and "Will The Real Santa Claus...?" because I LOVE Christmas! And "The Lady on Thursday at Ten" was definitely cool too- and it featured Nicholas Hammond, who starred as Spider-Man in the live action '70s US series that I also love. :)
Third Season
Haven't seen all of it yet- but I would say "Last Kiss of Summer" (Parts 1 and 2) because it looks pretty epic and deals with a storyline that definitely hasn't been seen in any of the books yet- and it features a great '70s song by Bread- If
"Search for Atlantis"-  I have seen this episode on the officially released VHS and it is a great one. I love the archaeological dig aspect- I love those kinds of storylines in most any show- like the ones on MacGyver and of course in the National Treasure and Indiana Jones movies.
"Game Plan"- just because this episode looks pretty intense.

Okay- and every other episode that I didn't mention. Haha- because yeah- really, they're all good.

"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MacGyver

I should throw in honorable mentions to "The Disappearing Floor", "The Flickering Torch Mystery", "Wipe Out" and "Scorpion's Sting" for using episode titles that were either exact titles of books from the series or at least very close to book titles- even though none of them necessarily had much to do with their corresponding books. Though I think those first two I mentioned did have at least a few things in common and I did appreciate that.
And one more for Nancy Drew- "The Mystery of the Ghostwriter's Cruise"- because they do a shout out to Pamela Sue Martin's Poseidon movie and because it's a mystery on the high seas. :)

"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

hardygirl847

Mac, you must type super fast. :)

I like a lot that you mentioned. I think you forgot to mention which ones of the 95 series you liked though. ;)

Game Plan was one of my faves because it was different. It was a better storyline too. PLUS, Frank aims a gun at Joe!!

LKOS was good but the death of Joe's fiance was really lame. Sorry...but it didnt even seem like an accident someone would have been killed in. Perhaps I need to watch it in a better quality to get a better perspective.

Search for Atlantis was really good too because Joe gets in some serious danger. I don't like when the danger aspect is soooo lame. Make it more realistic at least!

I guess that's partially why I felt I needed to write my own fanfic.

But anyways, those were some good choices. There weren't many out of the 95 series that I loved though. Sad to say...but true.
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

MacGyver

The Hardy Boys (1990s series)

"All That Glitters" - first episode that sets up things in the series and it was a pretty good start.
"Say Cheese" for starting out with a simple thing and leading into a bigger mystery.
"The Curse" because it's the only episode to feature Chet Morton and it was a pretty funny episode.
"Jazzman" because it reference Shaun Cassidy's music. ;D And I like those buried-in-history type mysteries.
"Play Ball" because I love sports and baseball is certainly cool.
And "The Last Laugh" for using the name of one of the books even though it has nothing to do with the book and because it's a crossover episode with Nancy Drew.
And the last episode "No Dice" was pretty cool too- and another Nancy Drew crossover.

JoeHardyRocks

LOL I like the end of that one, where Nancy's like "I'm SO glad I'm an only child" ;D
"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

MacGyver

Thanks- I can type fairly fast when I need to.

And I also meant to add the "Oh Say Can You Sing" episode from the '70s show because I like some of Shaun Cassidy's songs and I thought the whole thing of Frank leaving whenever Joe sings was a hilarious running gag. ;D

And now, I'll try to list a few from the
Nancy Drew (90s series)

"Welcome to the Callisto"- first episode that kicks things off. And I thought it was neat that it gave the whole season a running arc that continues for a few episodes.
"Asylum"- This one was fairly spooky with a chase through an asylum.
"The Ballad of Robin Hood"- Ned Nickerson is in this episode and we have the Robin Hood legend. Cool!
"The Death and Life of Billy Feral" - an episode with a mystery surrounding local weird dude who's actually friendly and pretty cool. Those are always neat storylines.
"The Stranger By the Road"- this one was fairly mysterious
"Fashion Victim" - Ned Nickerson shows up in this episode (and we have an interesting revelation about his relationship with Nancy)
and "The Long Journey Home" - last episode and Ned's still around for this one too.

It's been a while since I've seen this series, so I don't remember them all terribly well- but though both this and The Hardy Boys equivalent series were pretty fast paced and hard to keep up with sometimes- I enjoyed them pretty well too. It was sort of an idea of what a modern Casefiles style might be- (at least as far as the setting goes- not necessarily the storylines, though some of them sort of got there sometimes.) But they are both fun series in any case and I like them. Cool theme songs for both- but The Hardy Boys' one was definitely most rocking. :)

MacGyver

For the record, Ned Nickerson is also in the "Happy Birthday, Nancy" and "Exile" episodes of Nancy Drew. It would have been nice if he had shown up in the crossover with The Hardy Boys on their show too. Those last two episodes of The Hardy Boys would really have felt like the Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys Supermystery ('88) series if they had Ned there, along with Bess and George. Well, at least we got that sort of feel on The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries with episodes like "The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew meet Dracula" (Parts 1 and 2) and "Mystery on the Avalance Express".
And I forgot to mention that Fenton Hardy also shows up in "The Last Laugh" episode of The Hardy Boys. ('90s series)

SDLagent

So, basically, you like every episode?

MacGyver

lol- pretty much. I warned you I'm no good at this. ;D

Olivia

Someone should create a poll for what our fav episodes are for each series ('77 and '95) and each season (1, 2, and maybe 3 for '77). I think it'd be good if we could check off two or three choices.

By all means, if someone wants to go ahead and do that...'cause I don't feel like writing it up myself. lol.

Hardy Sleuth

I hope the Hardy Boys show will be airing soon! When I had first heard about it I was so excited ;D...and I'm still excited!  ;D And hopefully they will have actors who look like Frank and Joe.  8) It can be done, I'm sure. Any updates on when?  ;D
Joe Hardy said "Iola is alive, I can feel it. I couldn't feel this strongly about someone who was dead."

"Then I won't tell you to give up hope," Frank said softly. 8)

hardygirl847

Hardy Sleuth, no new info. That's not a horrible thing but not a good thing either. I just guess we continue to wait and see.
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

Hardy Sleuth

Quote from: hardygirl847 on March 20, 2011, 01:23:16 AM
Hardy Sleuth, no new info. That's not a horrible thing but not a good thing either. I just guess we continue to wait and see.

No news, huh? I agree it's not a good thing?trying to decide about it not being a horrible thing, though. :P Just kidding.   ;) Thanks.  :)
Joe Hardy said "Iola is alive, I can feel it. I couldn't feel this strongly about someone who was dead."

SDLagent

It's probably a little early for anymore news. I wouldn't expect this series to come out until 2012...

Hardy Sleuth

Quote from: SDLagent on March 21, 2011, 11:57:03 PM
It's probably a little early for anymore news. I wouldn't expect this series to come out until 2012...

But I'm anxious! ;D 2012, that's reasonable.  8)