Recent posts

Public Domain / Re: The Crypto Mine Cypher
Last post by MacGyver - September 05, 2023, 10:23:02 PM
So I guess we go full circle and have The Hardy Boys fan fiction get legitimized now that the first few books are in the public domain. I see that this author has decided to give Frank a sister instead of a brother. That's an interesting change to the dynamics.
    I would regard these sorts of books as legitimate towards canon as I would regard Sherlock Holmes stories written by other authors long after Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's death, making use of public domain characters.  They can be fun to read but I don't really think of them as official. Thanks for letting us know about it in any case.
Public Domain / The Crypto Mine Cypher
Last post by SkyWarp - September 05, 2023, 06:52:00 PM
The chapter from a new book based on the Hardy Boys has been released for people to get a sneak peak.

Pre-Orders are here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CH2D4QP8

Here is the excerpt from the book: https://bayportmysteries.substack.com/p/happy-labor-day
General Hardy Boys Discussions / Re: The boys in pop culture
Last post by Bigfootman - August 25, 2023, 03:10:19 PM
The series finalle of the Nancy Drew show managed to slip in a Hardy Boys refrence:
https://www.cbr.com/nancy-drew-series-finale-hardy-boys-fan-theory/
Hardy Boys on TV / Re: The Hardy Boys - S3E8 - A ...
Last post by MacGyver - August 09, 2023, 10:55:05 AM
I watched this episode last night. I will try to offer a few comments without ruining any surprises. There is finally a satisfying conclusion to the mystery that had been running over the course of three seasons! I think my favourite part is just seeing The Hardy Boys and their chums together. There is also great use of another great '80s song from a great Canadian rock band- Tom Sawyer by Rush.
Also, be sure to listen at the end for a direct quote from The Sting of the Scorpion.
    Overall, this was a great end to the series but it again left me wanting more! I hope the show and network might reconsider and keep it running longer. My main complaints are the sexual immorality on display and foul language. If those things were taken out, this would be a great show for all of the family to watch.
Hardy Boys on TV / The Hardy Boys - S3E8 - A Wild...
Last post by SkyWarp - August 09, 2023, 01:22:48 AM
We have a final ending and with it some conclusions to the entire three seasons.  The last episode wasn't my favorite of the series, but it wasn't bad.  The middle of this season had two really good episodes that were perhaps two of the best of the entire three seasons.  And this one didn't quite reach that same level, but it is satisfying to finally reach the end.

There are a couple minor "cliffhangers".  One perhaps just an open ended hint at maybe the story could go on, and another that is more of a joke turned into an actual story potential. 

Now I have to go back and retcon all the entries I made that got retconned in the show. 

MAJOR SPOILER WARNING!!!!!!!!

So I believe Fenton was last in the conscious world in Season 2 Episode 6 when he is gassed at the hotel?  So every scene with him in it after that (until he gets out of the VR world) is just made up in his own head.  That removes a LOT of characters from actually appearing in later episodes.  But rather just in Fenton's imagination brought on by Drew's invention. 

But one part I am not quite clear on is Agent Driscoll.  Was he or was he not shot by Olivia?  And if he was, how did he survive?  Was that arm sling when he is waking up suppose to mean he survived the gun shot? 

There were so many twists and turns I think I have missed a few things or gotten them confused. 

Oh, and one more question.  Did Drew basically invent the Internet?
Hardy Boys on TV / Re: The Hardy Boys - S3E7 - A...
Last post by MacGyver - August 07, 2023, 11:01:38 PM
That was really interesting to see where this episode went. It was a particularly poignant episode in some ways that offered one more huge twist! I also felt like things were wrapping up way too easy so I knew there was more going on. And once again, I can't wait to see how things go in the next episode!
Hardy Boys on TV / The Hardy Boys - S3E7 - At Th...
Last post by SkyWarp - August 07, 2023, 10:44:29 PM
So THAT was a HUGE twist.  I have been going back and re-editing and retconning all kinds of old entries in the database.  I am sure I am going to miss some. 

As this episode started, I was not liking it.  It was just too quick and yet even though I knew we had another episode left, I was not completely sure that we were on to the track it eventually took. 

!!SPOILER WARNING!!

But as soon as Agent Driscoll appeared, I was pretty sure where we were headed.  Bullet proof vest?  Too easy.  But then when and how and who?  Those were the questions I had.   And am still trying to sort through a little for Fenton.  Baring any further huge twists in the final episode, the body count goes back up again after we thought we had lowered it.   

With all these twists and turns, I definitely need to rewatch the entire three seasons and see how much of this was planned and how much was retconned.  I unfortunately don't get a proper sense of the series as I am spending too much time pausing and updating the site while watching. 
General Hardy Boys Discussions / Re: What's the last book or it...
Last post by VLoneWolf - August 07, 2023, 03:17:34 PM
I recently got the Hardy Boys The Case of The Counterfeit Criminals. I don't think I read this one before.
Hardy Boys on TV / Re: The Hardy Boys - S3E6 - T...
Last post by MacGyver - August 07, 2023, 02:24:38 AM
    The reviews are getting harder to do as I can only talk in vague terms in order to avoid spoilers. I agree with the previous post; this was another great episode! A big reveal in this episode made for an interesting turn of events.  I also just caught that the first name of Drew's dad is Hurd. While I don't think there's any connection otherwise, it's nice that the show gave a subtle nod to Hurd Applegate, who appears in The Hardy Boys books The Tower Treasure and The Secret of the Island Treasure.
     I also appreciate how discoveries made by different characters sometimes at concurrent times have all come together in the storyline and added new facts and put more pieces of the puzzle together.
      Once again, I look forward to seeing what happens next.
Hardy Boys on TV / The Hardy Boys - S3E6 - The S...
Last post by SkyWarp - August 06, 2023, 09:49:55 PM
Well, the editing and re-editing of information in the Encyclopedia is really starting to add up. 

Another good episode. 

Twist after twist after twist.  Do we have some more still to come?  The big twist in this episode, we should have all seen coming.  The overall writers and plot developers had this one planned purposely to make us think one way back and forth to throw us off the real final twist (unless there is another twist again in the last two episodes). 

The body count seems to be adding up this season (unless bullets are not quite as deadly as they seem and they all end up just fine later). 

Just two episodes left.  Hmmmmmm.  Where to go from here?