Recent posts

Hardy Boys Casefiles / Re: #57 Terror On Track (32nd ...
Last post by NZone - February 24, 2024, 12:34:28 PM
This book contains one of the few instances of Frank being a flirt:

"Can't you watch where you're going?" a female voice demanded.

Joe stepped back. The woman he'd rammed in to seemed to be in her early twenties. Her eyes were green, and her honey blond hair just touched her shoulders. She wore a green blouse and black jeans. Hanging from her slim neck was a camera fitted with a small tele-photo lens. At her feet was a brown suitcase. "Sorry," Joe said.

Frank picked up the girl's case. "Forgive my brother," he said. "He's the family klutz."

The woman glanced from Joe to Frank. Her full lips relaxed into a slight smile. "Your brother?" she said.

"I'm Frank Hardy, and, yes, he's my brother, Joe." Frank nodded toward Andrew Driscoll.
"And this is our friend Andrew."

"Pleased to meet you," the young woman replied. "I'm Talia Neiman." She gestured at the platform. "I'm taking the Chicago train. Are you traveling or just meeting someone?"

"We're on the Chicago train, too," Frank said.

"Maybe we'll bump into each other again," Talia said with a grin. "Or maybe-hey, Frank, want to catch a late lunch in the dining car?"

Frank's eyebrows went up. "Sure."

Talia gave him a smile. "Good. Long train trips get so boring without someone to talk to. Shall we say three-fifteen?"

Frank nodded, and Talia set off across the platform and disappeared in the crowd.

"If I knew that's what happened on long-distance trips, I'd take the train more often," Andrew said.

"Some people are just born lucky," Frank told him with a grin. "Come on, let's find our compartments."

. . .

Picking up a towel, Frank went out into the corridor to wash his face in the lavatory. He filled the basin and splashed cool, refreshing water on his face.

"Beautifying yourself for lunch?" Joe asked Frank as he returned. He was still a little jealous. "She should have asked me. I'm the one who bumped into her." He gave his brother an evil smile. "Funny how she looks a little like Callie Shaw."

At the mention of his girlfriend's name Frank's head snapped around. "You know, she does." For a second he felt slightly guilty.

"But don't worry. I won't tell Callie that you go out with strange women whenever her back is turned. You can trust me, Frank." Joe was enjoying teasing his brother.

"It's just lunch," Frank protested.

"Sure. Just think of Callie while you're out enjoying your lunch. And maybe you can spare a thought for Andrew and me, while you're putting pleasure in front of business."
Hardy Boys Casefiles / Re: #57 Terror On Track (32nd ...
Last post by tomswift2002 - February 22, 2024, 07:56:29 PM
Review: I first read this book around 1995 when I borrowed it from my Jr. High School's library.  I enjoyed it back then, and I seem to remember that I had read the original version of The Mystery of the Flying Express (1941) around the same time and I found Terror On Track was a more interesting book.

Reading this book in 2024, in the first few chapters, it's hard not to think of the escape of the Covid Virus from the Wuhan Lab in 2019, and all the talk and evidence of creating modified super bugs (gain of function) from low class bugs like the common cold.  Terror On Track, deals with a scientist who has, in the midst of creating vaccine for a virus that has caused a lot of illness and deaths in Asia, developed a more powerful, super version of the bug.  However, different drug manufacturers want the vaccine formula so that they can market it and take the profits! 

In 1991 this was sort of science fiction, but at the same time there was some reality to it.  However, since 2019, Terror On Track has really taken a different twist.  I'm not sure if this book could've been written now because of that.

Hardy Boys Casefiles / #57 Terror On Track (32nd Anni...
Last post by tomswift2002 - February 22, 2024, 01:03:27 PM
Published: November 1991
Publisher: Archway Paperbacks (1991-2000) No Digital version as of February 2024
Author: David Robbins
Other Hardy Boys by Author: None

Plot: Never drop your guard in a fight -- or you may get dropped for good!

Deadly Chase!

Frank and Joe join Andrew Driscoll, the son of a professor, on a critical cross-country train ride. They are acting as decoys in a top-secret plan to transport a deadly virus from San Francisco to Chicago. In the wrong hands, the virus could unleash a biological catastrophe of unimaginable proportions!

But the plan goes haywire when Andrew disappears and the shocking truth about the Hardys' mission becomes clear. The boys begin to suspect that they are the ones ticketed for disaster, and that the end of the line -- for both them and the virus -- is dangerously near!
Network Briefings - Hardy Boys News / Re: The State of the Hardy Boy...
Last post by MacGyver - February 11, 2024, 02:07:24 AM
Interesting to see as always. Thanks for posting it.
Last post by SkyWarp - February 10, 2024, 12:30:42 AM
Thanks for the heads up. Updates Made.
Last post by Bigfootman - February 09, 2024, 04:37:34 PM
You made an error in the Clue Brothers section:
"Clues Brother #59: Night of the Werewolf*
Clues Brother #60: Mystery of the Samurai Sword*
Clues Brother #8: The Mystery of Cabin Island*
Clues Brother #116: Rock 'n' Roll Renegades*"
Those are all originals or digests.
You also misspelt Hardy Boys as "Hardy Hoys" in the first sentence/ 
Network Briefings - Hardy Boys News / The State of the Hardy Boys En...
Last post by SkyWarp - January 30, 2024, 12:16:11 AM
The Hardy Boys TV Show continued to influence the traffic to the site this past year. So much so that Joe Hardy was knocked out of the top ten most viewed characters. 

An asterisk(*) denotes that a particular item was not in the top list the previous year.

Most Popular Books and TV Episodes of 2023

CASEFILES
Casefiles #1: Dead On Target
Casefiles 41: Highway Robbery*
Casefiles #40: Fright Wave*
Casefiles #11: Brother Against Brother
Casefiles #42: The Last Laugh*

NANCY DREW AND HARDY BOYS SUPERMYSTERY
SuperMystery #1: Double Crossing
SuperMystery #2: A Crime for Christmas
SuperMystery #25: Secrets of the Nile
SuperMystery #3: Shock Waves
SuperMystery #32: Exhibition of Evil*

UNDERCOVER BROTHERS
UB #1: Extreme Danger
UB #3: Boardwalk Bust
UB #7: Operation: Survival*
UB #2: Running on Fumes
UB #4: Thrill Ride

NANCY DREW AND THE HARDY BOYS SUPERMYSTERY
SuperMystery #2: Danger Overseas
SuperMystery #1: Terror on Tour
SuperMystery #5: Bonfire Masquerade
SuperMystery #3: Club Dread
SuperMystery #4: Gold Medal Murder*

UNDERCOVER BROTHERS GRAPHIC NOVELS
Graphic Novel #9: To Die or Not to Die
Graphic Novel #15: Live Free, Die Hardy!
Graphic Novel #2: Identity Theft*
Graphic Novel #18: D.A.N.G.E.R. Spells the Hangman*
Graphic Novel #7: The Opposite Numbers*

ADVENTURES
Adventure #24: As the Falcon Flies
Adventure #25: The Smuggler's Legacy*
Adventure #1: Secret of the Red Arrow
Adventure #17: The Gray Hunter's Revenge
Adventure #23: Mystery on the Mayhem Express*

CLUE BOOKS
Clue Book #1: The Video Game Bandit
Clues Book #16: Undercover Bookworms*
Clues Book #11: Bug-Napped*
Clues Book #15: The Garden Plot
Clues Book #5: Scavenger Hunt Heist

SECRET FILES
Secret Files #1: Trouble at the Arcade
Secret Files #2: The Missing Mitt
Secret Files #3: Mystery Map
Secret Files #4: Hopping Mad*
Secret Files #19: The Race Is On

MYSTERIES/DIGESTS
Mystery #1: The Tower Treasure
Mystery #8: The Mystery of Cabin Island*
Mystery #161: Training for Trouble
Mystery #59: Night of the Werewolf*
Mystery #64: Mystery of Smugglers Cove*

CLUES BROTHERS
Clues Brother #1: The Gross Ghost Mystery
Clues Brother #3: First Day, Worst Day
Clues Brother #11: The Monster in the Lake
Clues Brother #2: The Karate Clue
Clues Brother #9: The Pumped-Up Pizza Problem

TELEVISION 1995
Episode #1: Jazzman
Episode #5: Play Ball
Episode #2:  All That Glitters
Episode #7: Say Cheese
Episode #13: No Dice

TELEVISION 2020
Season 3, Episode #8:  A Wild Ride*
Season 3, Episode #1: A Strange Inheritance*
Season 3, Episode #5: Revelation*
Season 2, Episode #10: An Unexpected Return*
Season 3, Episode #2: A Vanishing Act*

Most Popular Wallpapers of 2023

Casefile #1: Dead On Target*
Casefile #41: Highway Robbery*
Casefile #7: Deathgame*
Casefile #42 The Last Laugh*
Super Mystery #1: Double Crossing*

Most Popular Off-site Links of 2023

WEBSITES
The Hardy Boys Online
The Hardy Boys Wiki on Fandom*
The Hardy Boys Book Reviews*
The Hardy Boys Encyclopedia X (Twitter) Account*

Most Popular Database Entries of 2023

CHARACTERS
Drew "Darrow" Sparewell*
J B Cox
Jesse Hooper
Olivia "Kowalski" Sparewell*
Lucy Wayne
Mr. Adrian Munder*
Anastasia "Stacy Baker" Nabokov
Aunt Gertrude Hardy
Frank Hardy
Callie Shaw

PLACES and THINGS
Bridgeport
The Circle of the Eye
Hardy Van
Rosegrave Preparatory Academy
Hardy house
Demon's Paw
Bayport
Wilt's Deli
Barmet Bay
American Teens Against Crime "ATAC"*

Most Viewed Forum Topics of 2023

FORUM TOPICS MOST VIEWED
Hardy Boys Reading Levels?
Brotherly Moments
Quotes
Looking for Hardy Boys Stories*
Good fanfics*
General Hardy Boys Discussions / Re: The Hardy Boys Trivia Game...
Last post by MacGyver - January 04, 2024, 11:02:33 PM
Okay. I think this should be a fairly easy one. (I will admit I have a secondary motive here of generating conversation because the topic of this question never seemed to get much discussion on here, unfortunately.)

What Hardy Boys book is referenced in the last episode of the 2020 The Hardy Boys TV series?

(There may be multiple answers to this but there is one in particular I am thinking of that I think should have been at least somewhat obvious on the show.)
Public Domain / Re: Three New Public Domain Ha...
Last post by tomswift2002 - January 03, 2024, 05:20:21 PM
Quote from: MysteryFan89 on January 02, 2024, 09:32:00 PMThanks for info. Does this include Nancy Drew as well?
No, Nancy Drew's first 3 books from 1930 will not enter the US Public Domain until January 1, 2026.  The rewrites will enter the US Public Domain on January 1, 2055 (books 1&2) and January 1, 2056 (book 3)

Now then in Canada, those same 1930 books will not enter the Canadian Public Domain until January 1, 2073.  However, the rewrites of those 3 books from 1959 and 1960 will enter the Canadian Public Domain on January 1, 2053.  That's because Mildred Wirt Benson died in 2002, whereas Harriet Stratemeyer Adams died 20 years earlier in 1982.  Benson was the author of the 1930 books, whereas Adams wrote the rewrites in 1959/60.
So by 2073, the 1930 text of "The Secret of the Old Clock" will have been under Copyright for 142 years here in Canada.  And because of that, no one will be able to use the Nancy Drew characters here in Canada without permission until 2073, because ALL Nancy Drew books written since the 1930 "The Secret of the Old Clock" are considered to be derivatives of that book, including the 1959 rewrite.
Public Domain / Re: Three New Public Domain Ha...
Last post by MysteryFan89 - January 02, 2024, 09:32:00 PM
Thanks for info. Does this include Nancy Drew as well?