Hardy Boys vs Supernatural

Started by hardygirl847, November 12, 2009, 04:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hardygirl847

Because of my love for Frank and Joe...I also love Supernatural. I feel that a lot of elements cross over. Of course the Hardy Boys came first but I think Sam and Dean have a lot in common with them. So, I thought it would be fun to compare how they are similar and how they are different.

If you would like to abbreviate, may I suggest using S for similar and D for difference. SPN could be for Supernatural and HB for Hardy Boys (obviously).

For example...

S= Two brothers solve mysteries

D=SPN they are 4 yrs apart and HB they are 1 yr apart

Yes, I realize those are two very DUH comparisons...but hey, it's just an example! :)

Next!
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

SDLagent

I agree that there are many parallels between The Hardy Boys and Supernatural. I think the biggest difference between the Hardys and the Winchesters is their early life. When Frank or Joe told their dad (or mom) there was monsters under their bed, he reassured them they were wrong, and their was no need to be afraid. When Dean or Sam told their dad there was monsters under their bed, he gave them a shotgun!

I can see Frank and Joe being even more similar to Dean and Sam had they not had a mother to raise them, and exposed to the things their father fights at an earlier age. While, Frank and Joe probably helped their father when they were younger, they were well into there teens when they started doing it seriously. For the most part they had a fairly normal childhood.

In contrast, Dean watched his mother get fried by a demon at age four, and had to be a father figure to his Sam for many years, because their father was too busy hunting demons, ghosts and other paranormal creatures. At age six, Dean learns how to shoot a gun. At age six, Sam is attacked by a supernatural being. At age six, Frank meets Chet Morton.

Sure, the Hardys grew up with a father who fought dangerous criminals, but for the most part Fenton kept his enemies far away from his family, and Frank and Joe were pretty much unaware of the underworld until their teens. Their father's work didn't effect their life the same way it did the Winchesters - not until Iola's death, anyway. John tried to keep his enemies away from his boys, but it didn't last long, and, really, Sam was effected by them almost before he was born, considering he was only six months old when his mother was killed.

The early years of the persons life are really, largely what shapes their personality and their believes. Frank and Joe had a fairly normal and happy early life, while Dean and Sam had a far from normal, often tragic early early life, and these differences are reflected in their personalities. While the Hardys usually try to "play by the rules" and try to work with the authorities, the Winchesters do what ever it takes to win, and are often on the run from the law.

Of all versions of The Hardys Boys, the Hardys seem the most like the Winchesters in the Casefiles, especially Joe after Iola is killed and Frank in the Operation Phoenix Trilogy, when they think their father is dead. In book two of that trilogy, No Mercy Frank even says, "These guys killed our father. This time their are no rules." In these stories, tragic events in their lives, drive the Hardys to do what ever it takes to win. Much like the Winchesters, because of all they've gone through. So, like I said at the beginning had the Hardys been hurt by criminals earlier in life, I think they're would be even more similarities between the two families. In the end, the one biggest difference between the Hardy boys and the Winchesters boys is their childhood.

hardygirl847

Very well said!! I supposed when I started this thread I didn't think it would get so deep but I am glad it did. Nicely done. I still feel that there are still similarities even if they are more superficial. 
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

SDLagent

Did you see the last episode of Supernatural, "Abandon All Hope..."? In this episode a demon named Crowley mockingly refers to the Winchesters as ''the Hardy boys''.

QuoteSo, the Hardy boys finally found me. It took you long enough.

hardygirl847

LOL Yes, I loved that line!! In A Very Supernatural Christmas episode, the pagan Gods call them the Hardy Boys too. I don't remember the exact line but I always love when they crossover my two faves!

SDLagent

Cool. I'll have to watch that one.

hardygirl847

Definitely! It will certainly add to the Christmas spirit. lol :)

hardygirl847

In the Casefiles, a huge catalyst for characterization and plot is the death of Iola Morton. She is killed in a bomb meant for the Hardys.

In Supernatural, Jessica's death is also a HUGE driving force in the plot as well as Sam's change in character. He finds out later that Jessica was killed because of him (pretty much).

That is one huge similarity.