What has drawn you to the HB series?

Started by P. Walker, March 26, 2012, 08:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

P. Walker

Im in my mid-30s and will openly confess that I still read the HB/ND series both Originals and Casefiles/Files. Im not really ionto too many adult novels for some reason, have always had a thing for the YA genre, mostly the detective?suspense variety. Amnyway to answer my question, i have always liked the fact that the brotehrs can do stuff that I cant: pilot a boat, a plane, take cross-country trips at the drop of a hat, get involved in dangerous escapades (not that I have a death wish or anything but my life is kinda boring)...and most of all they always seem to have a clear cut view on good and evil...there was never a gray area with them, or at least in any of the book Ive read. I hope they can keep that up with the new Adventures thats coming out next year

Hardy Sleuth

Hi, P. Walker!  8) I see you are new here - welcome to Mr. Pizza! :) What has drawn me to the HB series - I love the action, adventure, mystery, humor, brothers working together fighting bad guys, stopping crime, helping people, doing their best.  8) And one of the main reasons I love the books is what you said so perfectly - that "clear cut view on good and evil" and being on the side of good, risking their lives to fight evil - those things are timeless and I think a big part of why the books and characters are still popular.  8) And I second your hope that that continues in the new series coming.  ;D
Joe Hardy said "Iola is alive, I can feel it. I couldn't feel this strongly about someone who was dead."

"Then I won't tell you to give up hope," Frank said softly. 8)

MacGyver

Hi P. Walker- you and Hardy Sleuth have said it pretty well. I think I was first drawn to The Hardy Boys because I was a voracious reader as a child and just read most any book I came across. I was definitely initially interested by the action and adventure in the books as well as the mystery. I have always loved those crazy and near-impossible last second escapes that Frank and Joe Hardy, Indiana Jones and MacGyver (and others for that matter) always seem to pull off all the time. I like the literal cliff-hangers! :)
     And it's fun to read about exploits that I may not always be able to do myself, but I can pretend to be there alongside the Hardys and enjoy their adventures with them. And definitely I love their strong moral stance and to see good defeat evil. Particularly resonating with me as a Christian are the moral values that Frank and Joe hold to- loyalty, honesty, integrity, hard work, humility, kindness, graciousness, generosity and certainly love. They display the fruit of the Spirit that The Bible describes in Galatians 5:22-23 very well. This is not to say that they don't have some fallings at times too, but they admit them and grow from them. I don't think I could think many other fictional characters who offer such great role models for kids. I love The Hardy Boys and I love to read them no matter what age I'm at. :) 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Sleuth

I love the morals and ethics, and the cliffhangers, too and seeing how they are going to get out of the dangerous situations! 8) Made me think about a literal cliffhanger in Secret of the Caves with Joe!

MacGyver, you mentioned about reading almost any book you came across - me, too - and some books (not referring to Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew) I wish I never read!
Joe Hardy said "Iola is alive, I can feel it. I couldn't feel this strongly about someone who was dead."

MacGyver

QuoteMacGyver, you mentioned about reading almost any book you came across - me, too - and some books (not referring to Hardy Boys) I wish I never read!
yeah- sadly, I can say the same for some other books too- there are some books, movies and TV shows, etc. that I have given a chance at one time and then wished later that I hadn't bothered- on the one hand my curiosity is now satisfied, but on the other hand- I never want to read or see it again....
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Sleuth

The good qualities with the Hardy Boys books are true about Nancy Drew as well.  8) Of course, the part about brothers working together doesn't apply to Nancy Drew books, but you know what I mean. ;D

MacGyver

Well, Nancy Drew works together with Ned, Bess and George- so she has her share of teamwork in her books too.

Hardy Sleuth

Quote from: MacGyver on March 29, 2012, 12:10:35 AM
Well, Nancy Drew works together with Ned, Bess and George- so she has her share of teamwork in her books too.

Sure there's great teamwork, I was just getting real literal, thinking about the things I said I like about the Hardy Boys books and the brother aspect doesn't apply to the Nancy Drew books (except of course for the ones where Frank and Joe are also featured). ;) ;D

MacGyver

JoeHardyRocks

I always liked them because they were pretty much role models for me! I read Nancy Drew, but I always wanted to be the Hardy Boys "when I grew up." :) Lol they could do everything I couldn't, take down bad guys, solve mysteries, drive, pilot planes, ride motorcycles, drive boats, jet skis, karate, everything! Even though I can do some of that stuff now, they will always be the coolest guys I "know." :) And they were really polite and had good morals and stuff. Lol I'm still going to be reading Hardy Boys books when I'm like 60. Even though my friends think they're "grandpa books." :'(
"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

MacGyver

What? "Grandpa books"? Well, sometimes Grandpa reads some books that are A LOT better than some of the stuff kids are reading today. The Hardy Boys are still awesome, fresh and happening who have plenty of action and adventure and hold true to virtuous values and hopefully The Hardy Boys Adventure book series will helps kids today see that. :)

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Found out about the Hardy Boys through Nancy Drew. Never read her books since. 8)