What was the ATAC Vs. The Network war all about?

Started by Hardy Boys UB Fan, January 26, 2011, 08:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on January 27, 2011, 03:03:53 PM
Well, there is a big difference with ATAC and The Network that you have to remember. Fenton Hardy founded ATAC. Frank and Joe were his first recruits. Of course the sons of the founder are going to get treated well. The Hardys have much more control or least a say in the runnings of ATAC to some degree. So I think there is a much different setup there- especially since the organization specifically wanted teenagers working for them.
    With The Network, it's much more of a different story. Frank and Joe have more of a begruding partnership with The Network after proving their worth to The Gray Man. Mainly because of Joe's quest for vengeance on terrorists for killing Iola and Frank's call to justice, they approached The Gray Man about helping more on their cases. The Network kind of has to work with them since they know about their operations and all- but they tolerate them more than anything. Frank and Joe don't really have the same pull as they might with ATAC or at least not the same connection, though The Network is certainly acquainted with Fenton Hardy. The Gray Man is willing to admit Frank and Joe are trustworthy and have proved useful, but they still are just kids and not really viewed as equals and they certainly aren't full time government secret agents. They are part-time help at best for special missions. So The Network does not see themselves as owing Frank and Joe anything and they do very little toward that. It's also part of keep all their operations in shadows. They do have to be a bit more ruthless because of what they have to deal with. It goes against Frank and Joe's grain sometimes, but that is their style. They do what they have to to get the job done. Frank and Joe however draw the line on some things.
Either group is cool with me, but they both have a lot of structural differences that come into play here.

What kind of structural differences? I know that Frank and Joe won't kill anyone.  ;D

Quote from: JoeHardyRocks on January 27, 2011, 03:19:51 PM
Well we all agree that the Originals were good, and the Digests aren't that "controversial" I guess....

Yeah, the Digests were really good. :)

tomswift2002

Quote from: Hardy Boys UB Fan on January 27, 2011, 10:42:05 AM
ATAC is nicer to the Hardys and they have better weaponry. I like that they have technology (cell phone, laptops and the internet.) Also, that ATAC doesn't leave them with no direction as to what to do. The Network seems to leave them hanging when the do need help.   

ATAC never gives the boys any holidays chances to actually "go to school".  As for the Network "leaving them hanging", in most cases the boys ran into the Network when they were investigating their own case (or as in the Lazarus Plot were on vacation) and the Gray Man and the Network, while they found them useful, also found them to be a "snag" in their plans that they didn't invite. 

As for technology, when the Casefiles were written in the 80's and 90's, unless you wanted the boys carrying around "the brick" or a satellite radio phone, it was much easier to get them to use a land phone, not too mention that the weapons that were used in the Casefiles were the "top of the line" in those days.  But, really, dart gun that renders a person unconscious is better than all the weapons that ATAC has given the Hardy's.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

SDLagent

The thing is, I don't really care which agency is "nicer" to the boys. I like the one that makes for a better story. ATAC has potential but it's never been used to it's full potential. Instead of having the boys fight terrorists - which is what you'd expect top-secret agents to do - they have fight saboteurs at hot dog eating contests and reality TV shows.

tomswift2002

Quote from: SDLagent on January 27, 2011, 06:26:55 PM
The thing is, I don't really care which agency is "nicer" to the boys. I like the one that makes for a better story. ATAC has potential but it's never been used to it's full potential. Instead of having the boys fight terrorists - which is what you'd expect top-secret agents to do - they have fight saboteurs at hot dog eating contests and reality TV shows.

Whose best weapon is usually talking the boys to death.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: tomswift2002 on January 27, 2011, 06:17:32 PM
ATAC never gives the boys any holidays chances to actually "go to school".  As for the Network "leaving them hanging", in most cases the boys ran into the Network when they were investigating their own case (or as in the Lazarus Plot were on vacation) and the Gray Man and the Network, while they found them useful, also found them to be a "snag" in their plans that they didn't invite. 

As for technology, when the Casefiles were written in the 80's and 90's, unless you wanted the boys carrying around "the brick" or a satellite radio phone, it was much easier to get them to use a land phone, not too mention that the weapons that were used in the Casefiles were the "top of the line" in those days.  But, really, dart gun that renders a person unconscious is better than all the weapons that ATAC has given the Hardy's.

Are you for the Network? The Hardys go to school. They do have friends that they hang out with. I think the UB's are easier to read and understand then the casefiles because they have all the things that we're used to in today's world.

SDLagent

But that doesn't really have anything to do with ATAC. It's just that the UB are more recent than the Casefiles so you can relate to them more.

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: SDLagent on January 27, 2011, 06:33:32 PM
But that doesn't really have anything to do with ATAC. It's just that the UB are more recent than the Casefiles so you can relate to them more.

True! ;D

tomswift2002

Quote from: Hardy Boys UB Fan on January 27, 2011, 06:29:07 PM
The Hardys go to school. They do have friends that they hang out with. I think the UB's are easier to read and understand then the casefiles because they have all the things that we're used to in today's world.

When do they go to school?  Maybe in the Graphic Novels, but in the main UB's the boys always finish one case and are trying to wind down when Vijay or someone else from ATAC shows up with a pizza or some sort of delivery that contain's the Hardy's mission disc, about an hour or two after the last case was wrapped up.

Aside from Murder At The Mall you never see the boys hanging out with any of their friends because they are always away from Bayport on missions for ATAC.  Not to mention, how many times have the boys come up with the most ridiculous excuse in order to go on these ATAC missions and Laura Hardy and Aunt Trudy aren't even the most tiny bit suspicious about the boy's real motive?  I don't have any kids, but if I did, I would be getting suspicious of what they were doing if they kept saying that there was some sort of field trip every other week (and their friend's parent's would be saying that they had never heard of any of those field trips if I asked them).  S&S have made Laura and Gertrude into the most densest characters that I have ever read, and it is extremely hard to believe that they aren't asking questions, even with the boys having Fenton on their side.

SDLagent

Yeah, Laura and Trudy not knowing has got to be the most unbelievable aspect of ATAC. Especially considering Laura is supposed to be really smart in the UB and Trudy is supposed to be nosy.

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: tomswift2002 on January 27, 2011, 06:43:11 PM
When do they go to school?  Maybe in the Graphic Novels, but in the main UB's the boys always finish one case and are trying to wind down when Vijay or someone else from ATAC shows up with a pizza or some sort of delivery that contain's the Hardy's mission disc, about an hour or two after the last case was wrapped up.

Aside from Murder At The Mall you never see the boys hanging out with any of their friends because they are always away from Bayport on missions for ATAC.  Not to mention, how many times have the boys come up with the most ridiculous excuse in order to go on these ATAC missions and Laura Hardy and Aunt Trudy aren't even the most tiny bit suspicious about the boy's real motive?  I don't have any kids, but if I did, I would be getting suspicious of what they were doing if they kept saying that there was some sort of field trip every other week.

I thought it was Bayport High? Yeah. I wonder how many times can they really lie and not get in trouble? ::)

SDLagent

No one said it wasn't Bayport High.

And speaking of high, maybe Laura and Trudy (and all the parents of all the other ATAC agents) are drugged. ATAC probably has a secret agreement with the drug companies or something.

AlwaysAJoefan

I've only read 1 UB and it didn't impress me much. I tend to stick with the Casefiles8)

Quote from: SDLagent on January 27, 2011, 06:51:32 PM
And speaking of high, maybe Laura and Trudy (and all the parents of all the other ATAC agents) are drugged.

Sounds reasonable.  ;)
Want to cure this country? Try 2 Chronicles 7:14...

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: SDLagent on January 27, 2011, 06:51:32 PM
No one said it wasn't Bayport High.

And speaking of high, maybe Laura and Trudy (and all the parents of all the other ATAC agents) are drugged. ATAC probably has a secret agreement with the drug companies or something.

Yeah. Like in Torchwood where they use Retcon when they don't want someone to remember something.

SDLagent

MacGyver

I really don't understand why Fenton wouldn't have just told his wife and sister that he's started a secret agent group called ATAC and that Frank and Joe are helping him with it.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"