The Hardy Men Movie

Started by frankfan75, June 25, 2010, 07:39:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

Well, what do you know? Here's a listing for that Nancy Drew sequel movie on IMDB
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0991179/

Doesn't necessarily mean it's happening for sure, but it is being planned for 2011 apparently. I think a lot of fans panned this movie because they felt it was too much of a spoof of Nancy Drew than really being serious to the books. (Though I think it was more of some light comedic jabs but still respectful to the books. Yeah, it could have been better- but I don't think it was all that bad. I enjoyed it for the most part.)
That might sit better with most fans than The Hardy Men movie at any rate. I don't know what kind of merchandise this might generate- I'd like to wishfully think and hope for the long-awaited Season 3 of The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries on DVD, but seeing as how Nancy Drew was cut from the show in that last season, I would highly doubt it. Maybe whoever has the rights (I presume Disney) for the 2002 Nancy Drew pilot with Maggie Lawson could release it on DVD? There really isn't any other media appearances of Nancy Drew that I know of that hasn't already been released.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MacGyver

Okay- well, most all the stories about this possible Nancy Drew sequel are from 2007 or 2008, so I have a feeling this is probably an outdated story. IMDB.com does have the movie listed for 2011 though, so there's still a possibility of it happening I guess- but I'm rather doubtful on this now.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

SDLagent

I didn't mind the 2007 Nancy Drew film but if they make another Nancy Drew film, I hope it's a reboot. I just thought there was a lot of wasted potential in the 2007 one.

NancyDrew

From what I've read, both Emma Roberts and Andrew Felming have signed on for the one for 2011. I hope they do one but I agree that I'm hoping for better quality. I appreciated the little snipbits for ND fans in the movie like the beginning and the movie listing, but I'm not sure if they completely understood ND. My biggest annoyance with Hollywood: making movies about something they know nothing about. THANKS...I did love the movie but I think they missed potential. Why can't they figure out what HER did for the games? I don't know but I'm hoping for a sequel, one that shows ND for who she really is. At least it was better from the one from 2002.

And I agree that the movie was welcomed or would be welcomed much more than the Hardy Men. That clearly lacks respect for the series imo. It could be done well but as if that would happen.

MacGyver

Well, the makers of the 2007 Nancy Drew movie did get the creator of the nancydrewsleuth.com website as a consultant for the movie and she seems to have a favorable opinion of it. I've seen both the 2002 Nancy Drew TV-movie and the 2007 Nancy Drew movie (saw that in theaters actually- and there were very few males there when I saw it. Just a random observation there.)

Olivia

Just to comment on the 2007 Nancy Drew movie...

It was actually kind of okay.

But IMO, the problem was that they were taking an classic/old-fashioned Nancy Drew and plopping her into the modern day. However, Nancy Drew is not like that: she's always up-to-date, but keeps the same kind of values. That's why she's been around this long.

Also, like someone said, they were poking fun at her a bit (which I actually don't care too much about 'cause it wasn't that bad), but it didn't work for me. I didn't even crack a smile - I just thought it was kind of cliche.

MacGyver

Just saw this synopsis on this website- http://www.ioncinema.com/movie/id/354

"This is a tongue-in-cheek adaptation of the classic "Hardy Boys" mystery series, "Hardy Men" is the story of the boys after they grow up. Although they haven't spoken since they ended their high-profile detective partnership 15 years earlier, they reluctantly reteam when their father is kidnapped. "

-I knew the basic story idea for The Hardy Men is that Frank and Joe have apparently grown up, enjoyed a successful detective partnership for a while, but disbanded and haven't spoken to each other for 15 years. But I don't remember if I'd seen this bit before- that they reluctantly reteam when their father is kidnapped.

So I guess Fenton Hardy would be in the movie too. But if Frank and Joe aged 15 years from their current ages of 18 and 17, they would be 33 and 32. Of course, since they must have run their detective business for at least a few years past college, I would think, maybe a safer bet would be that they are now 45 and 44, respectively. That would be closer in keeping with Ben Stiller and Tom Cruise's ages in any case. And Fenton would probably be into his '70s at that point.
     Well, just speculating a little bit. I still haven't seen any new stories on this movie other than the same things I already know.
Also saw this site- http://starseeker.com/2013-movies/the-hardy-men-2013/
which is saying the movie is planned for 2013. The director is Shawn Levy and the writer is Simon Kinberg and it's a 20th. Century Fox movie.
I must say though- even if this were a straight action take and not a comedic/parody take, I still don't really like the grown up and fallen apart storyline- I'd much rather see a movie based on The Hardy Boys as they've been traditionally written in the Original 58 books (revised series.) Yes- I would expect some updates and such, but I think I would prefer it to follow the Digest storyline first. Perhaps a sequel could introduce the Casefiles world- though I'm not sure I'd want to have to see Iola dead in the movies....
But I'd much rather see The Network introduced than ATAC. But it might be best to avoid either one and just stick with the classic motif. I don't know- just make a movie true to the books and to the spirit of The Hardy Boys and their values and make it good. 8)

MacGyver

Oh yeah- and I definitely think Parker Stevenson and Shaun Cassidy should have cameos somewhere. I think they are by far the most popular and iconic (and best remembered) of all the actors who have portrayed Frank and Joe Hardy.

MacGyver

Actually, come to think of it- if they had Parker Stevenson and Shaun Cassidy as grown up versions of Frank and Joe Hardy and then had their 18 and 17 year old kids being the ones with a successful detective agency and then a breakup and all- that might be another way to approach it. But it still wouldn't be a true movie for The Hardy Boys- just an idea though.

JoeHardyRocks

Quote from: MacGyver on January 06, 2011, 10:42:29 AM
Oh yeah- and I definitely think Parker Stevenson and Shaun Cassidy should have cameos somewhere. I think they are by far the most popular and iconic (and best remembered) of all the actors who have portrayed Frank and Joe Hardy.

That would be awesome!!!  ;D
"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

hardygirl847

Whoa! Lots to respond to.

In a nutshell...

1. 15 yrs later is better than 20 or more, IMO. I agree that Ben and Tom STILL DO NOT = Frank and Joe. ESP. if that is the difference in age they are going for. Doesn't make sense. A 20something can usually play off a high school kid but a 40+ yr old really shouldn't be 33 or 32.

2. I commend 20th Century or whomever is trying to build a Hardy franchise or at least a big budget movie but Ben and Tom don't fit.

3. I don't remember the Fenton being kidnapped either. Who will play him I wonder? And why is a 70 yr old man (or younger if the boys are in their 30s) being kidnapped?

4. Mac, I still and will always agree that a HB movie based on the RT Originals or Casefiles would be MUCH better than what they are proposing.

5. JHR and Mac, YES Parker and Shaun as a cameo or otherwise would make me happy too. :)

Here's what they look like now...well as close as I could get. :)

Parker (JOE) THEN

Parker NOW

Shaun (JOE) THEN

Shaun NOWish

I was feeling a little nostalgic :)
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

JoeHardyRocks

OMG they look just the same except super old!!!!! LOL They look EXACTLY the same!!! DO you think they get together every now and then and solve a mystery? ;D
"Thank you, Joe."

JoeHardyRocks

AHhhhhhhHH!!!!! It says COMEDY!!!!!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0963174/

And now it says Robert Downy Jr. and John Cusack!?!?
"Thank you, Joe."

hardygirl847

WHOA! This requires further investigation!
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

MacGyver

Just to clarify- someone on the message board was putting forth their dream cast and named Robert Downey, Jr. and John Cusack for the roles. But as far as we know, Ben Stiller and Tom Cruise are still attached to this movie as Frank and Joe Hardy in The Mystery of the Mid-Life Crisis. :P