Secret of the Red Arrow

Started by Bigfootman, January 31, 2012, 08:00:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

Look at Amazon.com's listing for the book- it offers a larger and more up close view of the cover.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

SDLagent

I still can't really see enough to tell the boys' ages. And, anyway, they've looked pretty young on covers before (and sometimes too old).

JoeHardyRocks

Quote from: SDLagent on June 18, 2012, 07:34:40 PM
I still can't really see enough to tell the boys' ages. And, anyway, they've looked pretty young on covers before (and sometimes too old).

Lol on some Casefiles they look like they're 35.
"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

SDLagent

Quote from: JoeHardyRocks on June 18, 2012, 07:36:03 PM
Lol on some Casefiles they look like they're 35.

Yeah, I was really disappointed when I turned 17 and still didn't look like the Hardy boys.

And now I'm older than both of them. That's kinda weird actually.

JoeHardyRocks

Quote from: SDLagent on June 18, 2012, 07:53:48 PM
Yeah, I was really disappointed when I turned 17 and still didn't look like the Hardy boys.

And now I'm older than both of them. That's kinda weird actually.

Lol!

I'm now as old as Frank was in the originals. :o  Lol I still don't feel like any kids my age could be that awesome.
"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

SDLagent

Quote from: JoeHardyRocks on June 18, 2012, 08:20:04 PM
Lol!

I'm now as old as Frank was in the originals. :o  Lol I still don't feel like any kids my age could be that awesome.

Same here. Before I looked-up to Frank and Joe when I was reading the books. Now I just feel lame. lol

Hardy Sleuth

I've already seen the Secret of the Red Arrow cover at Amazon and Books-A-Million and I'm really impressed - it looks really cool! ;D 8) The intense drama in the scene, well-depicted from the expressions and the water rushing in, etc, will draw all readers looking to read a danger-filled mystery. The cover does its job well, by saying to everyone looking at it to read the story to find out what happens and how the brothers get out of that! No wait, it yells for you to! 8)
Joe Hardy said "Iola is alive, I can feel it. I couldn't feel this strongly about someone who was dead."

"Then I won't tell you to give up hope," Frank said softly. 8)

Lungbarrow

I didn't think the boys looked too young on the Red Arrow cover, but looking again (and don't forget, you can zoom in to full size on the Amazon page) I can see how you could think that. The covers of the two Nancy Drew books that come out at the same time do make her seem younger than I'd expect and that's as much to do with her style of dress as her physical features. However, those covers have a slightly less realistic look than the Red Arrow one - Nancy has slightly oversized features giving her an almost doll-like look - so I'm not sure that's a useful comparison.
In any case, while it's nice to have painted covers showing an exciting scene from the book, it's what's inside that matters. Here's hoping the stories and the writing match up to the cover and title.
--
-PjH.
--

SDLagent

Where have you seen the Nancy Drew covers? They're not on Amazon yet. Are you thinking of the Clue Crew graphic novels?

Lungbarrow

Good point SDLAgent, I was going to post a link but completely forgot. Thanks for the reminder.
http://nancydrewsleuths.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/nancy-drew-diaries-cover-previews.html
--
-PjH.
--

MacGyver

Very interesting- thanks for the link, Lungbarrow. I check out that blog every so often. I like the look for the Nancy Drew Diaries here, if it is what they wind up going with. (as the blog posted stated that those covers are not necessarily final.) However, I noticed a few things that some folks on the blog commented on- these covers are illustrated and for the most part, very well done at that, I think. (Even the font is pretty cool.) I do agree that Nancy could look just a bit older. And apparently her hair is blonde now, but I honestly don't care that much about that sort of thing (though Nancy is traditionally blonde in the original series.)
The summaries of the first two books were interesting to read too. It's nice that they seem to have a continuity running between books where the second picks right up where the first left off. I trust there will be enough of a self-contained mystery for each book though that one doesn't feel compelled to read the second one in order to "finish" the first one. (But certainly the publishers will want readers to feel compelled to come back for the next mystery in order to keep up with the series.) It sounds interesting and promising so far. Hopefully, The Hardy Boys Adventure Stories series will be the same.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

SDLagent

I like this cover design better than the Adventures cover. I don't know what's up with the "W" though. But this look is definitively more geared towards girls.

By the sounds of the plot summaries Nancy is about the same age as she usually is. It's interesting that the second book will be picking-up from the first book, considering that's pretty much what they were doing in the Girl Detective (and UB) series with the trilogies.

MacGyver

I hope it will be done differently than in the trilogies. I got the feel that maybe it was meant to be an ongoing story arc so that every book would immediately follow from the last one. I could be wrong on that of course, but it would certainly be a compelling reason to get kids to buy every book.

Lungbarrow

Well, the sysopses certainly make them sound pretty exciting - has anyone found out anything about the plots of the first two HBA books yet? In any case, I've already pre-ordered the first two books from both series - that'll be the first Nancy Drew books I read unless I pick any up between now and next year - if they're any good and I want to keep getting them, I'll probably switch to eBooks after that.
--
-PjH.
--

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: Lungbarrow on July 11, 2012, 06:36:00 PM
Well, the sysopses certainly make them sound pretty exciting - has anyone found out anything about the plots of the first two HBA books yet? In any case, I've already pre-ordered the first two books from both series - that'll be the first Nancy Drew books I read unless I pick any up between now and next year - if they're any good and I want to keep getting them, I'll probably switch to eBooks after that.

I'm sure they'll be an interesting read, can't wait. 8)