It seems like a lot of the Hardy Boys Casefiles . . .

Started by Hardy Boys UB Fan, May 30, 2011, 03:45:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Before 1991, I think, are dealing with the USSR & KGB, (I don't know what they are called now)

Some books that I see this in are:

1. Too Many Traitors.  HB Casefiles, No. 14

When Frank wins an all-expense-paid vacation to Spain's Costa del Sol, the brother detectives are set for some good times in the sunny paradise. But instead of flamenco music and bullfights, Frank and Joe find themselves running from the law.

It seems their official tour guide has been murdered, and the evidence points directly at them. To make things worse, the Hardys are also being    hunted as spies by the KGB -- and as traitors by the Network. Trapped in very tight spots, Frank and Joe need every ounce of daring and skill...to keep from being shipped home in matching boxes.

2.  The Borderline Case. HB Casefiles, No. 25

A student exchange program brings Frank and Joe to sun-kissed  Greece. But the moment they hit the scenic port of Piraeus, they land  in deep trouble. What starts as a street fight soon escalates to a hornet's nest of espionage, kidnapping, and diplomatic double cross.

Near Yugoslavia, the Hardys find themselves on a mission to rescue someone they don't know, for a cause they barely understand. Only one thing is certain -- if the brother team fails this border run, they'll be ancient history.

3.  Strategic Moves.  HB Casefiles, No. 43

While attending an international summer school at England's  Oxford   University, the Hardys learn just how much times have changed.  Frank's   roommate, Pyotr Zigonev, is the USSR Junior chess champ, and he  had   become a pawn in an international power play. But just as the boys rally to Zigonev, they discover that the CIA has joined forces with the KGB.

The American and Soviet spy masters are out to foil a master of terrorism, and Frank and Joe and Zigonev are caught in the middle. One false move and they'll lose the ultimate game -- a danger-packed contest played out in the cold gray shadows of Stonehenge.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? This was just something I noticed.                                                                                       

tomswift2002

You have to remember that it was only in 1989 when the Iron Curtain and the Cold War more or less came to an end with the fall of the Berlin Wall.  So back then it was natural for "spy" movies and novels to have the Soviet Union and the KGB be the bad guys, or be figured into the "evil" scheme in some way.  Plus, considering that back in the 80's and very early 90's (the Soviet Union dissolved in 1991) the USSR was the second most powerful country in the world, after the United States, and was seen as a threat to democratic government in the Western world, most authors and script writers placed the USSR in the position of not being trustworthy.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

Well, the USSR and KGB made for an easy villian in the late 1980s as America was still embroiled in The Cold War at that time. But with the fall of the Berlin Wall on November 9, 1989 and the dissolution of the USSR in 1991, it wasn't really a viable target to use anymore. But the KGB is still around in Russia- that hasn't gone away.
     And all three of those are some of my favorites of The Hardy Boys Casefiles- particularly Too Many Traitors- I've read and reread that one quite a few times. I like those international intrigue/foreign countries/secret spies type books. :)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

Plus in the early ads for the Hardy Boys Casefiles, Simon & Schuster was trying to say that the "NEW" series mixed together elements of James Bond and Indiana Jones, so, considering that the James Bond movies had had the Soviets and the KGB in them as enemies and friends that you had to keep at arms length, you can see where the Hardy Boys Casefiles were drawing some of their plot points from.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: tomswift2002 on May 30, 2011, 04:02:43 PM
You have to remember that it was only in 1989 when the Iron Curtain and the Cold War more or less came to an end with the fall of the Berlin Wall.  So back then it was natural for "spy" movies and novels to have the Soviet Union and the KGB be the bad guys, or be figured into the "evil" scheme in some way.  Plus, considering that back in the 80's and very early 90's (the Soviet Union dissolved in 1991) the USSR was the second most powerful country in the world, after the United States, and was seen as a threat to democratic government in the Western world, most authors and script writers placed the USSR in the position of not being trustworthy.

Really? ???

Quote from: MacGyver on May 30, 2011, 04:06:38 PM
Well, the USSR and KGB made for an easy villian in the late 1980s as America was still embroiled in The Cold War at that time. But with the fall of the Berlin Wall on November 9, 1989 and the dissolution of the USSR in 1991, it wasn't really a viable target to use anymore. But the KGB is still around in Russia- that hasn't gone away.
     And all three of those are some of my favorites of The Hardy Boys Casefiles- particularly Too Many Traitors- I've read and reread that one quite a few times. I like those international intrigue/foreign countries/secret spies type books. :)

The KGB is still around? Never know that. :o

Quote from: tomswift2002 on May 30, 2011, 04:09:58 PM
Plus in the early ads for the Hardy Boys Casefiles, Simon & Schuster was trying to say that the "NEW" series mixed together elements of James Bond and Indiana Jones, so, considering that the James Bond movies had had the Soviets and the KGB in them as enemies and friends that you had to keep at arms length, you can see where the Hardy Boys Casefiles were drawing some of their plot points from.

What's that mean? ???

SDLagent

Quote from: Katie on May 30, 2011, 06:03:59 PM
Really? ???

"Really" what? Be more specific, Bob.

Quote from: Katie on May 30, 2011, 06:03:59 PMWhat's that mean? ???

He was just agreeing with you and pointing out that even the ads for the series mentioned a James Bond influence.

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: SDLagent on May 30, 2011, 06:15:59 PM
"Really" what? Be more specific, Bob.

He was just agreeing with you and pointing out that even the ads for the series mentioned a James Bond influence.

Well, why don't you? :-\  Really as in "I don't remember that happening?"

SDLagent

How do you not remember it? You mentioned the USSR,  KGB, and the Cold War in your original post. swift was talking about the same thing.

And what are you saying "why don't you?" about?

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: SDLagent on May 30, 2011, 06:24:38 PM
How do you not remember it? You mentioned the USSR,  KGB, and the Cold War in your original post. swift was talking about the same thing.

And what are you saying "why don't you?" about?

My post didn't mention the cold war. I did mention the KGB and USSR. They were mentioned on the back covers of the books. The collapse of the USSR was before my time. So, I don't remember those events.

AlwaysAJoefan

Quote from: Katie on May 30, 2011, 06:43:41 PM
My post didn't mention the cold war. I did mention the KGB and USSR. They were mentioned on the back covers of the books. The collapse of the USSR was before my time. So, I don't remember those events.

I just learned about the Cold War in school. It's pretty cool. Not the war, learning about it is cool. ;)
Want to cure this country? Try 2 Chronicles 7:14...

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: AlwaysAJoefan on May 30, 2011, 07:21:14 PM
I just learned about the Cold War in school. It's pretty cool. Not the war, learning about it is cool. ;)

I know! ;D And the Hardy Boys and the KGB? in 14 and 43. Throw in the Network and you're good to go!

AlwaysAJoefan

Quote from: Katie on May 30, 2011, 07:25:56 PM
I know! ;D And the Hardy Boys and the KGB? in 14 and 43. Throw in the Network and you're good to go!

That's right! :)

AlwaysAJoefan

Hardy Boys UB Fan