Holidays with The Hardy Boys

Started by MacGyver, October 28, 2011, 09:01:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomswift2002

On page 5 of Poisoned Paradise the author mentions that the boys are on their last week of Christmas vacation.

But then Toxic Revenge makes mention at the bottom of page 1, continuing to the top of page 2, of the boys adventures in Poisoned Paradise, but I get the sense that in TR, the events are occurring more in late-March, early-April, just before Earth day., but not in January/February.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Bigfootman

"Sheer Terror" takes place around Thanksgiving Day.

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

MacGyver

Cool- thanks for adding to the list. It may have been mentioned already, but I'm thinking an earlier book takes place around Thanksgiving too...- Disaster for Hire perhaps? Or is it Countdown to Terror? I'll have to double check later...
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

JoeHardyRocks

Perfect Getaway starts with them talking about Christmas presents, and it ends like 4 days from Christmas. :D
"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

MacGyver

Yeah- I definitely count Perfect Getaway as a Christmas book, though there are certainly others more centered on it. I love the last line of the book though- Fenton telling Frank and Joe that they'd already gotten the best Christmas gift- the two of them home and alive and safe.

Hardy Sleuth

Thanksgiving is mentioned in the Hardy Boys Mystery Stories #134 Cross-Country Crime and #156 A Will to Survive. 8) And you know, all of the books where they bravely fight evil can be included under Chanukah, when earlier brothers, the Maccabees, fought evil. ;) ;D 8) Plus they appreciate and love their mother and father every day not just on Mother's Day and Father's Day. ;) ;D

Holiday's also in America to be included :):

Passover

Armed Forces Day

Shavuot

Sukkot

Joe Hardy said "Iola is alive, I can feel it. I couldn't feel this strongly about someone who was dead."

"Then I won't tell you to give up hope," Frank said softly. 8)

MacGyver

Thanks for the reminder on additional holidays, Hardy Sleuth. I like your reasoning for Chanukah, though I don't know that I can recall any Hardy Boys books that specifically mention it or any other Jewish holidays. Of course, we could also liken any of the books where The Hardys win battles over enemies that largely outnumber and outgun them to Purim. :)
I'm pretty sure The Hardy Boys would also be supportive of Armed Forces Day and Memorial Day and other such holidays to honor the military too.

tomswift2002

Even though this is not a real-world event, in #98 Spark of Suspicion the Hardy's celebrate the 200th anniversary of the founding on Bayport.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

That's cool- nice tidbit to add. :)

Hardy Sleuth

Quote from: MacGyver on June 14, 2012, 08:29:17 AM
Thanks for the reminder on additional holidays, Hardy Sleuth. I like your reasoning for Chanukah, though I don't know that I can recall any Hardy Boys books that specifically mention it or any other Jewish holidays. Of course, we could also liken any of the books where The Hardys win battles over enemies that largely outnumber and outgun them to Purim. :)
I'm pretty sure The Hardy Boys would also be supportive of Armed Forces Day and Memorial Day and other such holidays to honor the miliatary too.

I haven't seen the actual names of the holidays (and several more I could name) listed in the books, but the ideals are right there in the words/pages of the books. ;) :) Since you had said: "we can also try to list appropriate books to read for otherwise unmentioned holidays." and you had listed some, I thought I would do that. :) Oh, so true about Purim! 8) Fantastic point, MacGyver! ;D And whoa, looking back over the list and two pages of this topic, it hadn't been named before! :o

Quote from: Tomswift2002 on June 14, 2012, 09:59:12 AM
Even though this is not a real-world event, in #98 Spark of Suspicion the Hardy's celebrate the 200th anniversary of the founding on Bayport.

Very cool, Tomswift2002! 8)
Joe Hardy said "Iola is alive, I can feel it. I couldn't feel this strongly about someone who was dead."

MacGyver

QuoteI haven't seen the actual names of the holidays (and several more I could name) listed in the books, but the ideals are right there in the words/pages of the books.   Since you had said: "we can also try to list appropriate books to read for otherwise unmentioned holidays." and you had listed some, I thought I would do that.  Oh, so true about Purim!  Fantastic point, MacGyver!  And whoa, looking back over the list and two pages of this topic, it hadn't been named before! 
Right- I was just clarifying. It would be nice if those holidays were actually mentioned in the books at some point though- I know Phil Cohen is supposed to be Jewish, but I don't know if they ever mention him celebrating any Jewish holidays at some point.
But you are totally right in adding those and I appreciate the thought and contribution. :)
Of course, one of my favorite Jewish holidays and traditions is the Year of Jubilee, mainly because of the spiritual parallel that still holds true for us today. Jesus is our Jubilee. :) 8)

Hardy Sleuth

No need to clarify. :) I agree, it would be nice for the Jewish holidays to be named. And Phil is Jewish. :) So is Jesus. :)

Thanks for the compliment. Happy to contribute info. :)

It's easy to find many things every bit as relevant today as 5772 years ago, when the world was first created. 8)

JoeHardyRocks

At the end of The Borgia Dagger they go shopping for Halloween candy!
"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

MacGyver

Yay- another holiday entry. :)
Thanks, JHR.