Differing Characterizations

Started by hardygirl847, December 31, 2009, 03:26:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hardygirl847

Now that I a fully obsessed with Frank and Joe once again, I have been lured into so many different types of the Hardy Boys. This has got me to thinking (dangerous territory, yes) about all of the different ways the brothers are characterized.

Now I am not that familiar with the originals...Sadly I only have 1 to my name and haven't read it yet. So someone else will have to help me out on that one...

Casefiles: Joe is 17, blond hair/blue eyes, hotheaded; Frank is brown haired,/brown eyes, 18, more logical. They are both detectives.

1970s show: I'm not sure how old they are supposed to be but are referred to as "kids" a lot so I am assuming late teens. Frank brown hair (sometimes blondish)/blue eyed and is still more logical but rather impulsive! Or maybe you could call it overly curious. Joe blond hair/darker eyes and  sings because I'm sure Shaun Cassidy wasn't going to miss that opportunity. They are still detectives.

1995 series: Frank is 22 and Joe is 20. Both physical characteristics deviate from the Casefiles. Frank is a reporter and Joe is a computer hacker. They still are considered sleuths but I have to watch this series again before claiming them as detectives.

UBs/Graphic Novels: Frank and Joe are part of the ATAC. I'm not really sure of the differences other than that because I haven't gotten into this series. However, physical characterizations are more similar to Casefiles.

Secret Files: They are 8 years old.

I know I am missing some so please feel free to add or even correct me. It's almost 3:30AM so I am fairly sure I am not thinking entirely clearly. I realize I didn't mention friends or family or love interests. Perhaps that will result in discussion...
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

tomswift2002

In the UB's/Graphics the Hardy Boys love lives are completely gone.  It's surprising, considering that the UB's started in April 2005, and here it is December 2009, Calie Shaw has been AWOL for the entire run of the UB's (aside from a brief appearance outside of school in Chapter 6 of Rocky Road), while she has only appeared in The Ocean of Osyria in the Graphics. 
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

Jokerette

Quote from: Santa Claus on December 31, 2009, 09:07:50 AM
In the UB's/Graphics the Hardy Boys love lives are completely gone.  It's surprising, considering that the UB's started in April 2005, and here it is December 2009, Calie Shaw has been AWOL for the entire run of the UB's (aside from a brief appearance outside of school in Chapter 6 of Rocky Road), while she has only appeared in The Ocean of Osyria in the Graphics. 

didn't she appear briefly in the begining of the opposite numbers?
I know that all you need is love, but I believe an Xbox Kinnect is pretty essential too, am I right?

SDLagent

Since you haven't read any books from the Original continuity, I'll add them:

Original (original text): Frank is 16, with black hair and brown eyes. Joe is 15, and shorter and lighter then his brother. He has blond hair and blue eyes and is more impulsive compared to Frank.

Original: Frank is 18 and Joe is 17. Pretty much the same as the original text versions, except Frank has dark brown hair, instead of black. Plus, they don't break as many laws.

Also since you haven't read many UB:

UB: Frank is a nerd of unknown age. He is 160 pounds. Joe thinks he's cool. Neither of them have much luck with girls. They work for ATAC.

Quote from: hardygirl847 on December 31, 2009, 03:26:45 AM
Secret Files: They are 8 years old.

I think Frank's 8 and Joe's 7. I'm pretty sure their not both the same age.

Quote from: RevWolfX on December 31, 2009, 10:40:51 AM
didn't she appear briefly in the begining of the opposite numbers?

She wasn't refereed to by name.

hardygirl847

Thanks!  Seems that there a quite a few things that remain the same but some that change. Especially the love interests or lack thereof.

As for them both being the same age, I read that in a different topic thread...so I wasn't sure about that either.
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

tomswift2002

Quote from: SDLagent on December 31, 2009, 04:52:41 PM
Since you haven't read any books from the Original continuity, I'll add them:

Original (original text): Frank is 16, with black hair and brown eyes. Joe is 15, and shorter and lighter then his brother. He has blond hair and blue eyes and is more impulsive compared to Frank.

However, by book #9 The Great Airport Mystery both boys had grown to 17 and 18, respectively, and they both graduated the same year from high school.  (Frank had been held back a year because he had been very sick one year and missed a number of days from school.)
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

hardygirl847

I don't like the idea of Frank being so sick! I forget what they said he had though...and it's never mentioned in the Casefiles as far I know. Hmm...

tomswift2002

Quote from: hardygirl847 on January 02, 2010, 04:43:46 PM
I don't like the idea of Frank being so sick! I forget what they said he had though...and it's never mentioned in the Casefiles as far I know. Hmm...

Yeah his sickness was "erased" from the Hardy's history when the stories were rewritten.

hardygirl847

Hmm...that is very interesting that they decided to take that part out. I guess I am kinda glad though for Frank. :) It would have been nice to meet or talk to some of the writers....

thehardyboysrock

I think that it would be really cool to actually talk to the hardy boys ;)
When you get an idea not even heavy explosives can jar it loose.Wait, I'll get my gear.If your going to get killed I don't want to be left alive to explain to mom and dad. :)