The Hardy Boys Digests and Casefiles are becoming hard to find

Started by Bigfootman, February 27, 2011, 03:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlwaysAJoefan

Want to cure this country? Try 2 Chronicles 7:14...

Hardy Boys UB Fan

JoeHardyRocks

Quote from: Olivia on March 06, 2011, 09:46:08 PM
I'm glad to see most of us enjoy the movie. I think Alex Pettyfer was just right for the role - he had enough rawness to be natural. I liked the pacing and it was just well-done all around IMO. There are a couple of things that was weird, but other than that, it's really the only teen/spy movie I like.

I thought it was hilarious/weird, when I watched the movie documentary in the special features, every time they talked about Alex Pettyfer, they always said something like "Yeah, when we were casting Alex Rider, Pettyfer was perfect because he was young, was very fit, and he was very good looking." or "Alex Pettyfer? He was amazing, not only is he extrememly talented, but he's also VERY good-looking!" and "Oh, Alex is such a doll, I think we would have chosen him regardless of any acting ablilities he may or may not have had!" and "Alex Rider had to be handsome, so Pettyfer was the perfect fit! He looks like a model or something, I mean, WOW!"

"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: JoeHardyRocks on March 07, 2011, 01:41:20 PM
I thought it was hilarious/weird, when I watched the movie documentary in the special features, every time they talked about Alex Pettyfer, they always said something like "Yeah, when we were casting Alex Rider, Pettyfer was perfect because he was young, was very fit, and he was very good looking." or "Alex Pettyfer? He was amazing, not only is he extrememly talented, but he's also VERY good-looking!" and "Oh, Alex is such a doll, I think we would have chosen him regardless of any acting ablilities he may or may not have had!" and "Alex Rider had to be handsome, so Pettyfer was the perfect fit! He looks like a model or something, I mean, WOW!"

I thought he was good!  ;) ;D 8)

JoeHardyRocks

Yeah, but I thought it was odd that the cast and directors only cared that he was good-looking.
"Thank you, Joe."

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: JoeHardyRocks on March 07, 2011, 03:32:42 PM
Yeah, but I thought it was odd that the cast and directors only cared that he was good-looking.

That was odd!  ::)

AlwaysAJoefan

AlwaysAJoefan

Quote from: Hardy Boys UB Fan on March 07, 2011, 07:41:03 PM
Okay.  ::) ;) ;D :o

Yeah, well Hollywood, and the rest of the movie business, focuses on looks. But I prefer to stick with the Biblical principle that we should watch the way a person acts instead of how he looks. The Bible says that while we focus on the looks, or outside of a man, God looks at the heart. I stick with that anytime.  :)

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: AlwaysAJoefan on March 07, 2011, 09:32:18 PM
Yeah, well Hollywood, and the rest of the movie business, focuses on looks. But I prefer to stick with the Biblical principle that we should watch the way a person acts instead of how he looks. The Bible says that while we focus on the looks, or outside of a man, God looks at the heart. I stick with that anytime.  :)

So do I.  ;) :)

MacGyver

Amen! 1 Samuel 16:7- I LOVE that verse. People in general are so superficial, looking at the outward appearance- it's such an ingrained habit of the fallen human nature- but God looks at the heart- and that's what is most important. :)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MacGyver

And going back toward the original topic-
QuoteI finally broke down and ordered one of the few Digests I didn't have yet- it just came in the mail the other day. So now I have a copy of #177 The Case of the Psychic's Vision - and though there are actually a few things that are pretty cool about it- and I can enjoy the story somewhat- this is probably one of the very few cases where I can say that I did not like this book very much. I didn't appreciate Frank and Joe's ready acceptance of the psychic world and jumping in and training their psychic powers and all. I don't mind some stories like this where The Hardy Boys delve some into the paranormal supernatural, but they have typically debunked a lot of it and if that had been the case here, I would have liked this book a lot better. But that aspect of the book aside, I did actually like the story okay as far as the writing goes and I appreciated the references to The Hardy Boys' history.
      Anyway- I am expecting the few other Digests I'm needing to complete my collection soon- #145 Terror at High Tide, #148 The Ice-Cold Case and #151 The Rocky Road to Revenge- I've actually read all of these books before- but I just missed picking up copies of them along the way for whatever reason. I still have some Wanderer copies of some earlier titles (from #59-#83) that I'd like to trade out for Minstrel editions eventually, just for uniformity's sake- and because I like the look of the Minstrels better, probably because I grew up with those- though I still like to keep a few Wanderer books around just for the sake of having a few examples.
    Besides- I've kinda thought it would be nice to have the Wanderer edition of #68, since that is the only one called The Submarine Caper, whereas the Minstrel edition renamed it Deadly Chase (and I've got that book.)
I just got in the mail the last of the Digests I was waiting on- #145, #148, and #151- so now I have all of The Hardy Boys Digests series. (From #59-190) at least in some format or another. (Mostly Minstrel/Aladdin copies, with a few Wanderer copies that I'd like to trade out with Minstrel printings eventually.)
      I will have to look at my Grossett & Dunlap books again to be sure- but I think there are still some books from that set that I may not have a copy of yet- but I do have most all of them in some format or another. I'm also trying to get all the original text books in some format or another as I can. :)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Fenlaur

I too find it very hard to get Digests and Casefiles in bookstores. I have almost twenty of each, but that is over years of searching.
FENLAUR

JoeHardyRocks

"Thank you, Joe."