Spiders

Started by 003Robin457, August 08, 2008, 06:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

003Robin457

I saw on the bottom of the index the line that shows you how many people are online. It had Gest, Users, and Spiders. I'm new to Forms so, whats a Spider? ???

JoeHardyRocks

Sorry, i'm pretty new here too. :-\
"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

SDLagent

From what I understand a spider is a person from a search engine like Google or Yahoo!, but I could be wrong. The spiders are part of the recent forum upgrade, before that they didn't show up on the "Who's Online" page.

SkyWarp

Spiders are computers that run around the internet looking for information.  Spiders can be good or bad.  Search engines use them to find and gather information for their search engine indexes.  So each time you see Google, Yahoo, Ask, Alexa, or MSN down at the bottom of the page, that means some computer from those companies is looking at this web site to find more information for their search engines. 

Q

Why are they called spiders?

SkyWarp

Quote from: Q on August 09, 2008, 12:35:25 PM
Why are they called spiders?

Because they basically help you and I connect all information on the world wide WEB.

SkyWarp

With the latest update to the forums, several additional spiders from various search engines around the world have been added to the documentation list.  What that means is that you should see additional names on the list at various times when you visit the web site.