August 2011 Book Club Discussion- Too Many Traitors (Casefiles #14)

Started by MacGyver, August 16, 2011, 09:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

Wow! I had about forgotten about this. But here is the thread for this month's book of discussion: The Hardy Boys Casefiles #14 Too Many Traitors. Though I love all of The Hardy Boys books, this is definitely one of my top favorites. I have read and reread it quite a few times. First of all, the Hardy Boys are travelling to Spain in this book so from the start I like to see Frank and Joe going somewhere around the world. And The Network is involved. And The Hardys get framed and set up to take the fall for something. And Frank and Joe wind up on the run caught between three forces with the Network and the KGB and the local Spanish police all after them. And they're trying to figure the whole thing out with few clues and never knowing who they can really trust. Hence the name of the book- there're Too Many Traitors.
    And of course, the title foreshadows things as well as that theme will continue throughout the book up to the very end with a few neat little twists. There is of course plenty of action and danger along the way, including a scene where Frank and Joe are on the run from armed agents and going hand over hand on a rope from one building to a next, as is pictured on the cover- one of the most intense scenes and one of my favorites.
         We also find out that Frank is a fan of The Rolling Stones in this book. There are chases and confusion and mystery and intrigue and moments of grave peril and danger all mixed together with a political backdrop as well. And it's cool to see how The Hardy Boys manage to beat both the Network and the KGB at their own games.  It is well worth the read and the reread. :) 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

As I recall, this book mentions that the "trip" that Frank won was from an internet chess tournament, just about all the gaming that you could do back in 1988 online.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

hardygirl847

This too is one of my FAVORITES probably because of the danger and adventure. I will have to reread it. I know, I am soooo behind. But it's DEFINITELY one I would recommend to someone just getting into Casefiles and not necessarily having to start at number 1. Yes, DOT is a better place to start, but if someone wanted a handful, I'd include this one!!
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)