Recent posts

Public Domain / Re: Free review copies of The ...
Last post by Brentski - September 17, 2023, 01:21:47 AM
Quote from: MysteryFan89 on September 16, 2023, 04:27:26 PMWhen you say original, do you mean the 1960 version of the books? Those are awesome. I'm also a fan of Nancy Drew, and Tom Swift.

No, I'm not referring to the 60s versions. The originals I'm speaking of are the 1927 versions that entered the public domain this year. The named characters are the same, as are the setting. I've used those elements to build my story. You can get the 1927 texts for the first three books at Project Gutenberg. The details of the stories and some of the characterizations differ from the later, revised versions of the stories. There are also 25 chapters in each book instead of 20 - which gives a bit more room for character dialog and added plot elements.

I've read a few Nancy Drew's and enjoyed them. I should give Tom Swift a try!
General Hardy Boys Discussions / Re: The boys in pop culture
Last post by MacGyver - September 16, 2023, 08:39:54 PM
On the "Terminal Case" episode of Tucker's Witch, there is a mention of The Hardy Boys. Rick comments to Amanda about how being on a stake out at a high school makes him feel like one of The Hardy Boys. He then says that would make his wife Nancy Drew!
Great in-joke here! Tim Matheson plays the role of Rick Tucker on this show and of course he also played one of The Hardy Boys in the 1967 pilot The Hardy Boys: The Mystery of the Chinese Junk, in which he portrayed Joe Hardy! :-)
Last post by MysteryFan89 - September 16, 2023, 04:27:26 PM
Quote from: Brentski on September 16, 2023, 03:35:12 PMThanks a bunch for the sub! The book is wholesome, but I did add a kiss or two between Frank & Callie in one chapter. That's as far as I ever plan to go in that direction. ;) There is no cursing, and no violence that wasn't in the originals.

Is this fanfiction? I'm going to say 'no'. The Hardy books (first three of the original text) are in the public domain and available for legal use in new stories. These stories can be copyrighted, and I've applied for the copyright on my book. The copyright excluded the PD elements of the old characters and setting, but my story and any new characters are under copyright. Anyway, my main point is that being able to take out a copyright is, to me, the line the divides fan fiction from uh, not fan fiction.

I've written my fair share of fan-fic, and some of it was pretty okay (to pat myself on the back), but I can't legally publish it or claim copyright. This book is different.

When you say original, do you mean the 1960 version of the books? Those are awesome. I'm also a fan of Nancy Drew, and Tom Swift. 
Last post by Brentski - September 16, 2023, 03:35:12 PM
Quote from: MysteryFan89 on September 16, 2023, 12:33:02 PMI've subscribed to you. Can't wait to read it, I love wholesome take on on my favourite book series. Would this be considered fanfiction?

Thanks a bunch for the sub! The book is wholesome, but I did add a kiss or two between Frank & Callie in one chapter. That's as far as I ever plan to go in that direction. ;) There is no cursing, and no violence that wasn't in the originals.

Is this fanfiction? I'm going to say 'no'. The Hardy books (first three of the original text) are in the public domain and available for legal use in new stories. These stories can be copyrighted, and I've applied for the copyright on my book. The copyright excluded the PD elements of the old characters and setting, but my story and any new characters are under copyright. Anyway, my main point is that being able to take out a copyright is, to me, the line the divides fan fiction from uh, not fan fiction.

I've written my fair share of fan-fic, and some of it was pretty okay (to pat myself on the back), but I can't legally publish it or claim copyright. This book is different.
Last post by MysteryFan89 - September 16, 2023, 12:33:02 PM
Quote from: Brentski on September 16, 2023, 10:26:00 AMThanks! I've been worried how people would react to that change.
That's part of the topic for next weeks article on my Substack. (https://bayportmysteries.substack.com/ shameless plug)

The real truth is that the idea grabbed me by the throat and wouldn't let go. I thought up other good reasons - such as differentiating Frank & Joe a bit more, and better reflecting boys and girls roles in modern society. But those came after the inspiration made up my mind.

I've subscribed to you. Can't wait to read it, I love wholesome take on on my favourite book series. Would this be considered fanfiction?
Last post by Brentski - September 16, 2023, 10:26:00 AM
Quote from: MysteryFan89 on September 16, 2023, 09:26:21 AMLove your change for Joe. What made you change the character?

Thanks! I've been worried how people would react to that change.
That's part of the topic for next weeks article on my Substack. (https://bayportmysteries.substack.com/ shameless plug)

The real truth is that the idea grabbed me by the throat and wouldn't let go. I thought up other good reasons - such as differentiating Frank & Joe a bit more, and better reflecting boys and girls roles in modern society. But those came after the inspiration made up my mind.
Last post by MysteryFan89 - September 16, 2023, 09:26:21 AM
Quote from: Brentski on September 15, 2023, 10:54:57 PMThanks for the interest in the book, MysteryFan89! I do hope you enjoy it.

SkyWarp - it's interesting to hear some of these details from actual production copies. So far, all I have is proofs. I think author copies are lower priority than customer copies (as they should be). I ordered mine as soon as they were published, and they have yet to ship!

Love your change for Joe. What made you change the character?
Last post by Brentski - September 15, 2023, 10:54:57 PM
Thanks for the interest in the book, MysteryFan89! I do hope you enjoy it.

SkyWarp - it's interesting to hear some of these details from actual production copies. So far, all I have is proofs. I think author copies are lower priority than customer copies (as they should be). I ordered mine as soon as they were published, and they have yet to ship!
Last post by MysteryFan89 - September 15, 2023, 08:17:11 PM
Just got the ebook. Can't wait to read it, :)
Last post by SkyWarp - September 15, 2023, 06:22:14 PM
Received the hard backed version today. It is exactly the same size plus the little extra for the hardcover that goes beyond the edges of the paper.  The cover feels similar to the paperback version. 

Yes, the date inside the back cover is unique. 

The bar code is definitely different. Its not even a typical bar code, but something more like a qrcode in the shape of a bar code.  And I assume the list of characters under it represents what the code stands for.  It is a massive long line of characters both number and alphabet. 

Once correction on what I said earlier.  The city in Illinois listed on the back cover is not Moline, but rather Monee.  That would put it just on the southern side of Chicago.