What kind of medical training do Frank and Joe have?

Started by Hardy Boys UB Fan, January 25, 2011, 09:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Can someone tell me what kind of medical training the Hardys have? I know that from one of the UB's (No. 20 I think.) It states that they are EMT trained through ATAC. But what other training do they have?

MacGyver

According to The Hardy Boys Survival Handbook, Frank and Joe have been through a survival training course and so they are pretty knowledgable on handling emergencies and particularly medical emergencies. In one of the stories, Joe helps Frank battle hypothermia. In another, Frank and Joe make a splint for their pilot (after a crash), and help keep him alive until they can get him to proper medical treatment. In the last story, the help three guys camping in the wild who are trying to "live off the land" and are literally starving. Frank and Joe show them a number of ways to catch fish and small animals like rabbits and squirrels with snares and also point out the many herbs and fruits and such that grow in the wild that are edible.
     I'm pretty sure they have both also had CPR training - I think one of the books probably states this. I know they go undercover to work with the River Heights Rescue Squad as Emergency Medical Technicians in A Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys Supermystery book Dead on Arrival, so that's another instance where they obviously had EMT training. I would daresay Frank and Joe are pretty well trained in most areas of emergency medicine. I don't think they're going to be performing emergency surgeries or anything, but they know enough to help keep people alive until professional medical help can arrive.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

JoeHardyRocks

Well in one book I can recall Frank giving Joe CPR, the Joe gives somebody else CPR........
"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

SDLagent

They don't need training! They're the freaking Hardy Boys!

MacGyver

"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on January 25, 2011, 10:25:47 PM
According to The Hardy Boys Survival Handbook, Frank and Joe have been through a survival training course and so they are pretty knowledgable on handling emergencies and particularly medical emergencies. In one of the stories, Joe helps Frank battle hypothermia. In another, Frank and Joe make a splint for their pilot (after a crash), and help keep him alive until they can get him to proper medical treatment. In the last story, the help three guys camping in the wild who are trying to "live off the land" and are literally starving. Frank and Joe show them a number of ways to catch fish and small animals like rabbits and squirrels with snares and also point out the many herbs and fruits and such that grow in the wild that are edible.
     I'm pretty sure they have both also had CPR training - I think one of the books probably states this. I know they go undercover to work with the River Heights Rescue Squad as Emergency Medical Technicians in A Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys Supermystery book Dead on Arrival, so that's another instance where they obviously had EMT training. I would daresay Frank and Joe are pretty well trained in most areas of emergency medicine. I don't think they're going to be performing emergency surgeries or anything, but they know enough to help keep people alive until professional medical help can arrive.

In Feeding Frenzy. (Hardy Boys UB No. 20) They had to do a emergency tracheotomy on a girl who they had found that wasn't breathing. Would you call that an emergency surgery or not? They did have to make an incision in her throat to get her breathing!  :o 8)   

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: JoeHardyRocks on January 26, 2011, 11:33:05 AM
Well in one book I can recall Frank giving Joe CPR, the Joe gives somebody else CPR........

Can you remember what the title of the book was?

JoeHardyRocks

Hmmm... It was either Countdown to Terror, River rats, or Dead in the Water... Sorry I don't remember exactly :-\ Those are all (really good) Casefiles BTW

HBUB Fan, have you read any casefiles? :)
"Thank you, Joe."

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: JoeHardyRocks on January 26, 2011, 08:11:22 PM
Hmmm... It was either Countdown to Terror, River rats, or Dead in the Water... Sorry I don't remember exactly :-\ Those are all (really good) Casefiles BTW

I've read Countdown to Terror and Dead in the Water. (Like them both.) Haven't read River Rats. What's it about and are there any cool parts in it?

JoeHardyRocks

River Rats:

"The Hardys have come to Montana to enjoy the challenges of the Big Bison River. Owen Watson runs a river rafting outfit, and Frank and Joe are eager to test thier skill. But their first day out on the fierce white waters turns into a life-and-death sturggle when Owen falls victim to a snipers bullet. Finding out who tried to kill Owen won't be easy. Especially since Joe can't take his eyes off Owen's beautiful daughter. But a wake-up call in the form of a fire bomb brings him back to his senses... And back into battle. It's a war over the environment, and the Hardys are sitting on a powder keg that's ready to explode at any moment!"

I thought i was a good book, some nice cliffhangers. Who's your favorite brother, Frank or Joe?
"Thank you, Joe."

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: JoeHardyRocks on January 26, 2011, 08:11:22 PM

HBUB Fan, have you read any casefiles? :)

Yeah. :) Own around (When I last counted) 55 books actually.  :) :o

Quote from: JoeHardyRocks on January 26, 2011, 08:39:37 PM
River Rats:

"The Hardys have come to Montana to enjoy the challenges of the Big Bison River. Owen Watson runs a river rafting outfit, and Frank and Joe are eager to test thier skill. But their first day out on the fierce white waters turns into a life-and-death sturggle when Owen falls victim to a snipers bullet. Finding out who tried to kill Owen won't be easy. Especially since Joe can't take his eyes off Owen's beautiful daughter. But a wake-up call in the form of a fire bomb brings him back to his senses... And back into battle. It's a war over the environment, and the Hardys are sitting on a powder keg that's ready to explode at any moment!"

I thought i was a good book, some nice cliffhangers. Who's your favorite brother, Frank or Joe?

I like them both.  :)

JoeHardyRocks

And you're a UB fan still? Haha I love you!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D Long-distance high-five! :D
"Thank you, Joe."

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: JoeHardyRocks on January 26, 2011, 09:36:16 PM
And you're a UB fan still? Haha I love you!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D Long-distance high-five! :D

Oh Yeah! Someone else here likes them, too!  ;D 8) :)             

MacGyver

QuoteIn Feeding Frenzy. (Hardy Boys UB No. 20) They had to do a emergency tracheotomy on a girl who they had found that wasn't breathing. Would you call that an emergency surgery or not? They did have to make an incision in her throat to get her breathing!
Okay- haven't read that one yet. Well, okay then- I guess they do know how to do emergency surgeries! I mean hey- They're The Hardy Boys, for crying out loud! ;D

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on January 26, 2011, 11:25:28 PM
Okay- haven't read that one yet. Well, okay then- I guess they do know how to do emergency surgeries! I mean hey- They're The Hardy Boys, for crying out loud! ;D

Yeah. They can anything they want to, can't they?  ;D