Hardy Boys Adventures #8: Deception on the Set

Started by MacGyver, June 11, 2014, 11:17:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

Hardy Boys Adventures #8 Deception on the Set is set to be released on February 3, 2015. The length of the book is listed as 160 pages on Amazon.com's listing.

"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Sleuth

You can find out more at the HB&ND blog. Thought you guys would have seen it on there, it posted back at the beginning of May. 8)
Joe Hardy said "Iola is alive, I can feel it. I couldn't feel this strongly about someone who was dead."

"Then I won't tell you to give up hope," Frank said softly. 8)

MacGyver

Thanks for the link to the blog. I haven't regularly checked it, so I've been behind on that. Nice to see they've got the (possible) cover art up there already! :) 8) Looks pretty good.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MacGyver

Here's the description of the book from Amazon.com-
It?s lights, camera, disaster for a film crew unless Frank and Joe can track down a saboteur in this cinematic Hardy Boys adventure?a fresh approach to a classic series.

Joe and Frank Hardy are excited to be cast as extras in the zombie movie that?s filming in their hometown. Not only is film production way more exciting than what usually goes on in Bayport, it also doesn?t hurt that the lead actress is pretty cute.

At first it seems like for once Frank and Joe might not have a mystery to solve. But when a stunt goes horribly wrong, the Hardy boys know someone is trying to sabotage the film?and putting lives in jeopardy. Can the brothers find the culprit before it?s too late?

tomswift2002

VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

Hardy Sleuth

The plot sounds really ignorant. I hate zombie stuff, it's stupid and seriously boring. This is going to be the first Hardy Boys Adventure I don't even want to read, forget about buying.  :o
Joe Hardy said "Iola is alive, I can feel it. I couldn't feel this strongly about someone who was dead."

MacGyver

It may not be the greatest mystery ever that The Hardys have tackled, but it doesn't sound too bad to me. Not that I'm really a fan of the zombie movies and such, but there have been similar Hardy Boys plots in the past- Web of Horror (#53 in the Casefiles) comes to mind. (And that one I enjoyed fairly well- the horror movie set adds a bit of horror and terror to the story- and I do like a touch of the macabre- but as I'm sure I've stated before on these forums, I'm pretty guarded about what level of horror and supernatural elements I allow myself to take in.) Actually, I think the movie in Web of Horror was a zombie movie too. But for Deception on the Set, I'm thinking the focus will be more on the sabotage on the movie set and not so much the zombie theme- hopefully. But hey- everyone has their likes and dislikes and it's cool if you're not digging this book. I do wish America in general could get off the zombie kick...at least we seem to be generally past the vampire stuff finally. ;)

Hardy Sleuth

Making fun of stuff like zombies and vampires is good. Those subjects are better as comedy than horror. I think real things that do actually happen are a lot scarier and more terrifying and have pulse pounding edge of your seat excitement fighting real-life evil rather than roll your eyes fake evil stuff, zombies are so dorky. So are vampires. The only thing dangerous about zombies and vampires are the possibilities of Joe and Frank rolling their eyes so much that they strain them or laughing so hard they fall over and get hurt.

MacGyver

Good point. I was saying I don't mind if it just happens that it's a zombie movie the Hardys are working on and the real life evil they are fighting is sabotage on the set; however, if it involves Frank and Joe fighting a "real life" zombie- I definitely wouldn't care for that plot so much... (but then I also really like Night of the Werewolf (The Hardy Boys #59), which has a similar premise.) With the right balance, a brush with the supernatural can be fun and interesting...but I like them as plot devices, not so much as the villians the Hardys are facing (unless there is a really interesting reasonable scientific explanation.) For instance, I definitely don't want to see a book with Frank and Joe fighting an evil goblin or something- but at least with the werewolf deal in the book I mentioned- there was a good logical explanation for everything that happened. (In that respect, it was actually kinda similar to a Three Investigators book- and that series does that kind of thing all the time.)
         But at this point, the zombie theme has been done in The Hardy Boys books before (Track of the Zombie The Hardy Boys #71) and the movie set sabotage plots have been done plenty of times too (Scene of the Crime, Final Cut, Web of Horror [#24, #34 and #53 of The Hardy Boys Casefiles, respectively], The Secret of Sigma Seven The Hardy Boys #110) and tons of others I'm sure. So for that reason too, this plot gets kind of old after a while..... Oh well- we'll just have to wait and see what it's like.

tomswift2002

Don't forget the New Casefiles from Papercutz were started with a zombie story.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

Yep- that one was pretty good too- better than I expected.

Hardy Sleuth

Quote from: MacGyver on July 25, 2014, 08:06:27 AM
Good point. I was saying I don't mind if it just happens that it's a zombie movie the Hardys are working on and the real life evil they are fighting is sabotage on the set; however, if it involves Frank and Joe fighting a "real life" zombie- I definitely wouldn't care for that plot so much... (but then I also really like Night of the Werewolf (The Hardy Boys #59), which has a similar premise.) With the right balance, a brush with the supernatural can be fun and interesting...but I like them as plot devices, not so much as the villians the Hardys are facing (unless there is a really interesting reasonable scientific explanation.) For instance, I definitely don't want to see a book with Frank and Joe fighting an evil goblin or something- but at least with the werewolf deal in the book I mentioned- there was a good logical explanation for everything that happened. (In that respect, it was actually kinda similar to a Three Investigators book- and that series does that kind of thing all the time.)
         But at this point, the zombie theme has been done in The Hardy Boys books before (Track of the Zombie The Hardy Boys #71) and the movie set sabotage plots have been done plenty of times too (Scene of the Crime, Final Cut, Web of Horror [#24, #34 and #53 of The Hardy Boys Casefiles, respectively], The Secret of Sigma Seven The Hardy Boys #110) and tons of others I'm sure. So for that reason too, this plot gets kind of old after a while..... Oh well- we'll just have to wait and see what it's like.

Well, since there are no such things as vampires, zombies, or werewolves it would be impossible for them to fight one. ;) One of the reasons I like Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew books is because there are logical reasons shown for what looks like, but isn't, hauntings or whatever.
I really like The Secret of Sigma Seven. I have no problem with a well-written story involving a movie set or TV show set, it's the zombie part that's stupid.

MacGyver

QuoteWell, since there are no such things as vampires, zombies, or werewolves it would be impossible for them to fight one. One of the reasons I like Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew books is because there are logical reasons shown for what looks like, but isn't, hauntings or whatever. I really like The Secret of Sigma Seven. I have no problem with a well-written story involving a movie set or TV show set, it's the zombie part that's stupid.
Nicely said- I totally agree. That's kind of what I was trying to say in my usual long-winded way. ;)

Hardy Sleuth

Quote from: MacGyver on July 28, 2014, 10:09:57 AM
Nicely said- I totally agree. That's kind of what I was trying to say in my usual long-winded way. ;)

Thanks, MacGyver! :)

MacGyver