Hardy Boys Digests --- possible #191

Started by tomswift2002, July 04, 2008, 09:25:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If the trilogies don't work, what should S&S do?

Keep only the graphic novels running?
1 (6.3%)
Keep the graphics in the ATAC universe and restart the Digests at #191.
5 (31.3%)
Keep the graphics and restart the Casefiles at #128?
7 (43.8%)
End all of the series and don't ublish a new book for five years due to series fatigue?
1 (6.3%)
I'm not sure. (Please suggest your ideas.)
2 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

003Robin457

JoeHardyRocks

"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

bozonessinc

Wow, people go crazy for a spelling mistake....

Quote from: 003Robin457 on November 02, 2008, 09:55:01 AM
That better be a typeo! >:( >:( >:( >:(
Quote from: Goddess on October 16, 2008, 07:58:52 PM
Yeah.

That photo when you compare the dogs is crazy.

Anyways, that Beverly Hills Chihuahua movie - I remember when I first saw the trailer. You know how it starts? "I come from a line of warriors..."

I thought, "Oh great. Another one of those kind of movies."

All of a sudden these singing chihuahuas pop out. Yeah, it definitely surprised me, especially because I wasn't really paying attention. There's even a video on YouTube of people's reaction to it. It's pretty funny.

Not bad.
Quote from: tomswift2002 on October 16, 2008, 06:05:21 PM
Yeah, the correct spelling for the dog is C-H-I-H-U-A-H-U-A.  You'll find that it is named after Chihuahua, Mexico.
Quote from: Goddess on October 13, 2008, 10:06:53 PM
Do you mean Chihuahua? Because:

Chiwawa

Olivia

That Beverly Hills Chihuahua thing was a response to someone else's post so that doesn't count. Also, "Chiwawa" was a typo but I was pointing out that it's actually a real word/place so that doesn't count either.

Plus Robin and tomswift2002 had good reasons too, I think.

bozonessinc

Sorry Olivia, I did not mean to point out it like that. I just want to hear some opinions on the Hardy Boys Digests. Whether or not people would like to see another book published?

I think that it would be cool to have another book like the Digests, because then the hardys go on there own missions and you get to see what they discover without help from the network or ATAC.

Olivia

It's okay, I don't care ... and sorry if I sounded mad or something. Most of the time when it sounds like I'm mean or mad, I'm actually not. Or I'm just joking.

But when you're trying to explain things to people, it can seem one way.

bozonessinc

Yeah, thats good. I don't think that you sounded mad or anything!

tomswift2002

Quote from: SDLagent on July 05, 2008, 04:47:38 PM
I like your idea, tomswift2002, and I wouldn't mind seeing it happen, my idea is less likely to happen but in a perfect world, I would love to see it happen...

Note: the following is told from a fictional point of view, as if I time traveled about 10 years into the future, and then wrote a article about the ''history'' of The Hardy Boys (or what would be history in about 2018), note that I have left I have left the graphic novels out of my idea, since I think they are fine and popular how they are, and as you will see ATAC is part of my proposed continuity.

Disclaimer: I just thought most of the book/series names off the top of my head, and don't necessarily think they are the best names possible for Hardy Boys series.

In 2008, in an attempted improve poor sales of their Hardy Boys Undercover Brothers series, Simon & Schuster re-introduced the mini series format to The Hardy Boys world for the first time since 1993's Hardy Boys Casefiles Ring of Evil trilogy. The Murder House Trilogy was published in May 2008, which was met with less then enthusiasm from fans.  After the completion of Murder House, the Double Danger Trilogy and Galaxy X Trilogy.

Even in light of the new trilogy format, the Undercover Brothers series was still not selling well, and in September 2009, The Hardy Boys Undercover Brothers series was discontinued after 30 volume.

In the spring of 2010, Simon & Schuster rebooted The Hardy Boys continuity, for the second time in only five years, unlike the Undercover Brothers continuity however, the new continuity didn't ignore The Hardy Boys' roots, but instead embraced them.  This was evident to fans from the very beginning of the new continuity, which was lunched with Hardy Boys: Chapter One, a three part mini series retelling of Frank and Joe's early cases, including an updated version of the very first Hardy Boys book, ''The Tower Treasure''. The mini series was followed later that month with book one in the new Hardy Boys series, untitled The Hardy Boys vs. the World. Iola Morton was alive in this story, and in the forward it was explained that this series started where The Hardy Boys (digest) series left off, and the events take place before Iola's death in The Hardy Boys Casefiles.   

By the end of 2010 and the publication of The Hardy Boys vs. the World #7, most of the original cast had made an appearance in the new continuity, including the Hardy's friends, something that the Undercover Brothers series had lacked.

At the beginning of the series, Simon & Schuster promised fans that this series would tie all past series together and fix any continuity problems, because of this they felt ATAC could not just be ignored, but because it had been one of the main factors in killing their last Hardy Boys series, Simon & Schuster did not feel ready to include it in the new main series. Instead they lunched a new independent mini series in 2011, simply untiled ATAC, which chronicled the founding of American Teens Against Crime, right up to the never before told final battle with WARD and the ultimate collapse of both organizations. The series ran until the end of the year along side the main Vs. the World series, and while finally establishing where ATAC fit into the continuity, it also freed the continuity from the unpopular agency (mind you the series was popular and Simon & Schuster might consider other ATAC mini series in the future).

In June, Nancy Drew made her first guest appearance in The Hardy Boys vs. the World #10, the same month, Frank and Joe guest stared in the also newly revamped Nancy Drew world. To go with these appearances, a one-shot crossover book was published, retelling the story of Nancy and the Hardy boys first meeting.

Simon & Schuster started off 2012, with a new crossover series, Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys vs. the World, and the start of new story line in the regular Hardy Boys series, which involved a major subplot dealing with Joe and Iola's relationship. The two part story arc concluded in February, and set up The Hardy Boys: The Death of Iola mini series, and the launch of The Hardy Boys Casefiles II book one, on the 25th Anniversary of the original Casefiles series. The Hardy Boys Casefiles II #1, was essentially a modern version of #128, as it made reference to Casefiles #127 ''Dead in the Water'' as having taken place only a few weeks before. For the sake of new readers, as well as the aforementioned Death of Iola series, The Hardy Boys Casefiles: 25 Years Book was published, which over viewed most of the original 127 Casefiles titles.

For the rest of the year The Hardy Boys vs. the World was published one month and The Hardy Boys Casefiles II  was published the next. By December 2012 there was 19 Vs. the World books and five Casefiles II books, plus the three mini series, Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys vs. the World #1, the one-shot Nancy Drew meets the Hardy Boys, and The Hardy Boys Casefiles: 25 Years Book.

Like the every years since the rebooted continuity, Simon & Schuster started 2013 off with a mini series, this time a Hardy Boys/Tom Swift crossover, a remake of the 1990's two Ultra Thrillers. On top of this Tom Swift appeared as a guest star in Casefiles II #6, these were popular, and the next year Tom Swift appeared with both Nancy Drew and the Hardy boys, in the first three way crossover ever.

The Hardy Boys vs. the World and The Hardy Boys Casefiles II are still published to this day, along with yearly crossover series, one with Nancy Drew and one with Tom Swift.

Note that in 2010 Simon & Schuster also rebooted the Nancy Drew continuity, and in 2012, due to the success of the new Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys series, did the same with Tom Swift. For the new continuity Simon & Schuster took more of a shared universe approach, and it is far from rare for any one of the four title characters, to make guest appearances in another series.

The most successful story of the new continuity, was 2014's Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys/Tom Swift crossover which was the conclusion of a story line had been taking place in both Nancy Drew series (Vs. the World and Files II) and Hardy Boys series (Vs. the World and Casefiles II), and the Tom Swift series, over the past few months.

Okay, back to 2008. What do you think?

Maybe Simon &Schuster will do something like this..
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

Wow- that sounds like a pretty cool plan. 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

SDLagent

It's been so long since I wrote that I had to read it again, but, yeah, I still think it would be a cool idea.

tomswift2002

Well with S&S currently working on ac new series, maybe you should see if you could suggest a few things.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca