Future of the Graphic Novels

Started by SDLagent, May 29, 2009, 03:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SDLagent

With the end of the Undercover Brothers, next year, many of us are wondering about the future of the graphic novel series. Well, Scott Lobdell, the writer of the series, has confirmed that the series will be sticking around, albeit with a few possible changes.

QuoteWith HARDY BOYS GRAPHIC NOVELS a super hot item in comic, book stores and libraries across the country I am certain there is no doubt you?ll be seeing them for years and years to come! And by the grace of the Graphic Novel Gods (Jim and Terry! LOL!) I will be writing them!

I am curious what the fans think of whether A.T.A.C. should break up at the same time the prose books run that particular course? What do you say, people?

(Link)

So, with that in mind, what would you like to see for the series. Here's my wish list:

1. The end of ATAC. Handled the right way, and this could be a great story, or even stories. Of course before this, I'd like to see Laura discover the truth, the fact that her husband started a crime fighting agency behind her back, to enlist hwe kids in.

2. The return of the chums. It's been far to long since we saw Biff, Tony, Phil, even Chet, or any of the rest of the gang.

3. More WARD. The best thing about ATAC, has been their arch nemesis, WARD and the Noirs. I hope to see a few more appearances from WARD before ATAC goes down - better yet I'd like to see WARD do the taking down!

4. A multi-part story. As sick as I am of the Undercover Brothers "trilogies", I'd love to see a graphic novel trilogy. Why? Well, IMO, the biggest downfall of the graphic novels are their length. More pages would've improved a lot of stories, and I'm sure it will be the same for future stories. The end of ATAC would definitely deserve more than one title!

5. Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew crossover. As soon as ATAC is out of the way I'd like to see Nancy team-up with the boys in, possibly, longer graphic novels.

tomswift2002

I agree with you about ATAC.  ATAC NEEDS to go.

I'd love to see some Hardy Boys crossovers with both Tom Swift and Nancy Drew.

Maybe even see the Graphic Novels take on the type of stories that comprised the early Casefiles.  Instead of having a story just about a murder and finding out who killed the victim, have a murder story where the victim was killed because he was involved with industrial espionage or he was syphoning money from bank accounts that he was suppose to look after.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

SDLagent

That's a good idea but I don't think the graphic novels are long enough for that. Hopefully we get to see some longer graphics in the future.

SDLagent

Quote from: SDLagent on May 29, 2009, 03:03:27 PM
2. The return of the chums. It's been far to long since we saw Biff, Tony, Phil, even Chet, or any of the rest of the gang.

Yesterday on his blog, Scott Lobdell wrote, ''...rest assured I?m looking forward to telling some of those awesome stories we talked about earlier! Maybe not ALL of them, but a few! You watch!'' And he made it very clear that the chums will return, saying, ''With much fanfare I predict? that between now and book thirty, there will be an All Chum mystery that can only be solved by Joe, Frank, Chet and the gang!"

Click here to read his full post, where he wrote about the possibility of a Nancy Drew or Tom Swift crossover.

Olivia

I like those ideas.

If they do break up ATAC, they could have a leftover enemy from their ?past? but wayyy down the road. Don?t want their ATAC stuff to follow them everywhere.

And they?ll have to deal with cases without super gadgets and having specific instructions! Just be more freelance (obviously).

003Robin457

Also note that end of ATAC may not mean the end of WARD. Of corse they could do a Superman/Doomsday-Take-Eachother-out-with-their-last-punch thing, but if it was 2 now normal boys aginst an agency that would sure tilt the odds aginst the Hardys.
And as far as ends of ATAC, do you think ATAC will go down or the Hardys decide to leave? What if  after a somewhat dark story ATAC turns moraly Gray and as an end of story twist the hardys leave.

Olivia

They just have to find a weakness & exploit it. Maybe that one girl in WARD who sort of has a conscience (I?m not saying she?s ?weak? or to literally ?exploit? her, but you know what I mean).

If the Hardys can't do it, no one can! ;)

Actually, it'd be really cool if Frank or Joe (probably Joe) pretended to be fed up with ATAC and/or his law-abiding life, and then work as a double agent.

SDLagent

Quote from: Kismet on June 29, 2009, 07:12:55 PM
Actually, it'd be really cool if Frank or Joe (probably Joe) pretended to be fed up with ATAC and/or his law-abiding life, and then work as a double agent.

Yeah, that would be cool. The Hardys would have to come up with some pretty hard evidence to convince WARD one of them had gone to the dark side.

003Robin457

Plus if they just leave ATAC what if only one of them leaves? Frank doing assingments and Joe working by him self? Of corse they'd rejoin after afew books.

hardygirl847

Quote from: SDLagent on May 29, 2009, 03:03:27 PM

So, with that in mind, what would you like to see for the series. Here's my wish list:

1. The end of ATAC. Handled the right way, and this could be a great story, or even stories. Of course before this, I'd like to see Laura discover the truth, the fact that her husband started a crime fighting agency behind her back, to enlist hwe kids in.

3. More WARD. The best thing about ATAC, has been their arch nemesis, WARD and the Noirs. I hope to see a few more appearances from WARD before ATAC goes down - better yet I'd like to see WARD do the taking down!

4. A multi-part story. As sick as I am of the Undercover Brothers "trilogies", I'd love to see a graphic novel trilogy. Why? Well, IMO, the biggest downfall of the graphic novels are their length. More pages would've improved a lot of stories, and I'm sure it will be the same for future stories. The end of ATAC would definitely deserve more than one title!

5. Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew crossover. As soon as ATAC is out of the way I'd like to see Nancy team-up with the boys in, possibly, longer graphic novels.

I haven't read all of the GNs yet but I agree!! But Nancy can only be in there if she is with Ned and not with Frank. lol :)
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)