First casefile

Started by White Eagle, October 24, 2007, 07:33:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeHardyRocks

1st one: Dead on Target.
"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

mgriffith

I just read Casefile 22, Double Exposure.  It was the first Hardy Boys paperback I ever bought (picked it up at a local used book store on Thursday).

I have read on other HB sites that the Casefiles books were not as good as the G&D harbacks, but I really enjoyed Double Exposure!

This weekend I bought a beat-up library sale Casefiles 7, Deathgame, and will get to that as soon as I read a few other books I have ahead of it in line.

SDLagent

Yeah, there's a few sites out there that bash the Casefiles (Will Oxford's site comes to mind) but most fans like the Casefiles. Many of the HB fan community are exclusively Casefiles fans, as you can tell by this site.

tomswift2002

Out on the internet there are quite a few sites where the post-1979 Hardy Boys books are not considered as "true" Hardy Boys books, and are viewed in sort of a "freak of nature" kind of way. 

But there are also quite a few people out there who consider the Hardy Boys series to not be limited to just the books published by Grosset & Dunlap between 1927 and 1979, but to all the books published from 1927 to now.

But, mgriffith, if you are a fan of the Bluespines, then you might want to check out the DVD collection of the Hardy Boys Nancy Drew Mysteries Season One.   The episode The Mystery Of Witches Hollow is a nearly true to book adaptation of Hardy Boys #41 The Clue of the Screeching Owl.  Plus the set, and even the Season 2 set contain some episodes with titles from (or in the case of Wipeout, that would be used) some books.  This tradition even carried into the 1995 TV series where the episode The Last Laugh contained the title of Casefiles #42 The Last Laugh, although the story was completely different.  (Hardy Boys Nancy Drew Mysteries Season 1 & Season 2 are on DVD from Universal in both the US and Canada; the 1995 Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew TV series are on DVD from kaBoom Entertainment only in Canada).
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

mgriffith

Quote from: tomswift2002 on May 04, 2009, 08:14:34 PM
Out on the internet there are quite a few sites where the post-1979 Hardy Boys books are not considered as "true" Hardy Boys books, and are viewed in sort of a "freak of nature" kind of way. 

But there are also quite a few people out there who consider the Hardy Boys series to not be limited to just the books published by Grosset & Dunlap between 1927 and 1979, but to all the books published from 1927 to now.

I was never exposed to the paperbacks before now.  I stopped reading the series back in about 1978 or so, the last book being The Jungle Pyramid.

I am floored by how many MORE books are out there, in soft-cover!  WOW!

But, mgriffith, if you are a fan of the Bluespines, then you might want to check out the DVD collection of the Hardy Boys Nancy Drew Mysteries Season One.   The episode The Mystery Of Witches Hollow is a nearly true to book adaptation of Hardy Boys #41 The Clue of the Screeching Owl.  Plus the set, and even the Season 2 set contain some episodes with titles from (or in the case of Wipeout, that would be used) some books.  This tradition even carried into the 1995 TV series where the episode The Last Laugh contained the title of Casefiles #42 The Last Laugh, although the story was completely different.  (Hardy Boys Nancy Drew Mysteries Season 1 & Season 2 are on DVD from Universal in both the US and Canada; the 1995 Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew TV series are on DVD from kaBoom Entertainment only in Canada).

I'm sticking to the books only for now.  Only so much time and money, y'know!   ;)

SDLagent

Click the image on my sig and you can browse through every Hardy Boys book. There's articles there on over 480 Hardy Boys books.

mgriffith

Quote from: SDLagent on May 06, 2009, 01:07:43 AM
Click the image on my sig and you can browse through every Hardy Boys book. There's articles there on over 480 Hardy Boys books.

WOW!  It' like....The Mother Lode!   :o

GREAT site!   :)

(And thanks!  I NEEDED another excuse to stay up until 2 am every night!   ::))

SDLagent

Glad you like the site. If you have any suggestions, complains, questions, just let me know.

donwisenor

I read Dead on Target when it first came out.

Fenlaur

The first Casefile I read was either The Crowning Terror or The Lazarus Plot and I found them both in the library.
FENLAUR

hardygirl847

I was about 12 and spent time with my grandma over the summer. I ended up living at the library where I stumbled upon Hardy Boys. I was a bit boy crazy so naturally I didn't take up Nancy Drew. lol I know there is a long list of over a 100 casefile books that I read that summer out there somewhere buried in a pile or box. So I can't say for sure which one was the first. But my favorite of all time is Brother Against Brother. I also remember reading Lazarus Plot several times too. Now, 13 years later, I am back into the Casefiles rereading them and collecting them from Amazon and Ebay. I'm glad I am among people who understand my affection for this series and don't think I'm totally nuts! :)
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

MacGyver

If I remember correctly, I think the first of The Hardy Boys Casefiles I read was #5 "Edge of Destruction" after seeing it on sale in a bookstore, somewhere in the late '80s or early '90s.
From there, I eventually went through the whole series. I was already a big fan of the original 58 stories and the Digests anyway. I think I was mainly first attracted to #5 because of The Hardy Boys coming out of a sewer and I immediately thought of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles! lol :-) As it is, I love reading the Casefiles- I've read all of them and they're all great fun. I'm still working through a few more of the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys Supermysteries ('88) series so that keeps a bit of the Casefiles world alive for me. (I love that the Network and the Gray Man shows up in a few of them here and there. And the third one, "Shock Waves" was so great for tying in Joe's melted pair of keys that reminded him of Iola from the very first Casefiles book- "Dead on Target".) Yeah, they're all good.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

Quote from: MacGyver on November 24, 2009, 01:59:17 PM
And the third one, "Shock Waves" was so great for tying in Joe's melted pair of keys that reminded him of Iola from the very first Casefiles book- "Dead on Target".) Yeah, they're all good.

I think that was also the last book in which the keys were ever mentioned.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

DegenerateBlue

-FINIS-

4567TME

It will probably be "Inferno of Fear" if no one takes it out of the school library before I get a chance :D