Celebrating the 85th Anniversary of the Hardy Boys Mystery Stories!

Started by Hardy Sleuth, April 29, 2012, 12:54:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy Sleuth

It's the exciting Hardy Boys Mystery Stories 85th anniversary! 8) Since 1927, the Hardy brothers, along with other excellent characters in this series, solve mysteries, stop bad people, help rescue those in danger and trouble, courageously stand up for what is right, fight evil, know right from wrong, bravely keep going even with numerous attempts on their lives, and intelligently know that praying is essential to winning and surviving. Those things show their strength of character and are all admirable qualities about them. And never letting the bad guys scare them away - Joe and Frank are great at smarting-off in the face of danger  - humor and smart-mouth ways are great survival tactics and also just make life more fun. ;D Yes, I said "great" twice in that sentence. ;D

There have been cartoons, comics, graphic novels, TV shows, book spinoffs, reprints of the original versions, board games, video games, plus a new series starting in 2013 (that I hope continues the Hardy Boys Mystery Stories good traditions!) :)

So many popular and exciting stories along with cool characters: Frank Hardy, Joe Hardy, Fenton Hardy, Laura Hardy, Gertrude Hardy, Callie Shaw, Iola Morton, Chet Morton, Phil Cohen, Biff Hooper, Tony Prito, Jerry Gilroy, Sam and Ethel Radley, Jack Wayne, Con Riley, and Chief Ezra Collig. And many feats including: surviving through wars, stories being translated into many languages, with new books being written and published through the 20th century and into the 21st century. ;D  That is very, very, very, very cool. ;D

Rock on! 8)
Joe Hardy said "Iola is alive, I can feel it. I couldn't feel this strongly about someone who was dead."

"Then I won't tell you to give up hope," Frank said softly. 8)

Hardy Sleuth

I'm really enjoying reading the books, haven't read all of them, but I have a list of ones I want to read. :) One thing that would also be fun is to find and read the originals to compare with the revised versions that I've read then that gives me even more stories to read! ;D
Joe Hardy said "Iola is alive, I can feel it. I couldn't feel this strongly about someone who was dead."

MacGyver

Nice to see a thread on here for the 85th. anniversary of The Hardy Boys! :)  I also realized that fairly recently but unfortunately, I doubt Simon & Schuster will do anything much for it. However, maybe they'll make mention of it when they start the new series next year. (They did release a compilation book for the 75th. anniversary 10 years ago at least.)
   Anyway, you pretty much stated most all the reasons I love The Hardy Boys. They are some of the most venerable teen sleuths ever and also serve as such great positive, morally upright role models for kids- I definitely love that- particularly as a Christian, they resonate with me because of their strong Biblical values. [There's a reason many church libraries have The Hardy Boys in their collection. ;)]
     And regarding the Original Text vs. Revised- yeah, there's a big difference with some of them. The later ones are generally not much revised from their original counterpart, so it's not as big of a deal with those- but some books have completely different storylines. I have read a few of the Originals now and it is interesting to compare them with the Revised versions that I remember reading when I was younger.
     And though I have read all of The Hardy Boys Mystery Stories series at this point (#1-190), I've come to realize that I actually still need to read the Revised versions of The Clue in the Embers and The Secret of Pirates' Hill, because I originally read the British paperback versions as a kid and for whatever reason, those two particular ones actually contain the original text versions.
       I also thought I'd mention that at the public library today, I saw a young girl checking out three revised Grossett & Dunlap Nancy Drew books.  :) Always good to know that kids today are still enjoying these books.  [I noticed one of them was even a title I'd read before in my rather limited Nancy Drew reading- The Invisible Intruder - that was a great, exciting and kinda spooky one for me when I was a kid. :)]
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

No one's quite sure why Collins reprinted The Original texts of 'Coins, Pirates', Torch, Embers or Paw'.  With 'Coins' it's possible that, because the Revised text was only published in 1970, when Collins Requested the manuscript or a book copy to typeset it, the only version available was the 1944 version.  Plus with the book coming out around New Year's 1972 (as the first book release of 72; 'Paw' was published in 74, also one year after it's revision, but it was one of the late-74 books from Collins)) there wouldn't have been that much time, unlike the other books that were revised in the 60's?
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

Yeah, it's a mystery. But then, so is the numbering system that Collins and later Armada employed with The Hardy Boys books.... It's really weird growing up reading the British numbering first and then later learning the American numbering...
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Sleuth

Quote from: MacGyver on April 29, 2012, 06:29:42 PMI have read all of The Hardy Boys Mystery Stories series at this point (#1-190)

That's so cool to get to read the many great books in this series!! 8)

MacGyver

Well, that's only from reading The Hardy Boys book since I was a kid and I've never stopped. ;)
(I am still trying to go back and get all the Original Text versions to read those as well.) And I am trying to read all the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys Supermysteries series. (The 1988 series, that is.) Eventually I may try to plow through the rest of The Hardy Boys: Undercover Brothers series- we'll see.

tomswift2002

Quote from: MacGyver on April 30, 2012, 08:03:07 AM
Yeah, it's a mystery. But then, so is the numbering system that Collins and later Armada employed with The Hardy Boys books.... It's really weird growing up reading the British numbering first and then later learning the American numbering...

Not to mention that the American series has three extra books that were never released by Collins/Armada. (House On The Cliff, Hidden Harbor Mystery & Tricky Business).
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

MacGyver

Yeah, that threw me off some too- I remember when Armada was still publishing certain titles in the late '80s and waiting for others to be published in the series.... (not realizing they had already been available in America from Grossett & Dunlap)

Hardy Sleuth

Quote from: MacGyver on May 03, 2012, 07:36:10 AM
Well, that's only from reading The Hardy Boys book since I was a kid and I've never stopped. ;)
(I am still trying to go back and get all the Original Text versions to read those as well.) And I am trying to read all the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys Supermysteries series. (The 1988 series, that is.) Eventually I may try to plow through the rest of The Hardy Boys: Undercover Brothers series- we'll see.

Very smart to never stop reading Hardy Boys books. ;D I'd like to read all the original versions and searching for them in bookstores, book sales, libraries and online is an additional good mystery to go with the reward of getting to read them. 8)

There are some really good Undercover Brothers books I think you would enjoy reading and believe me, I'm really picky on whether or not a story is actually about the Hardys. :)

Quote from: Tomswift2002 on May 03, 2012, 08:59:47 AM
Not to mention that the American series has three extra books that were never released by Collins/Armada. (House On The Cliff, Hidden Harbor Mystery & Tricky Business).

Those three books never released...I think that's a shame! :( But it's good everyone can buy the American editions through the mail so no one has to miss out on getting to read the cool mysteries that are part of the series. :) 8)

tomswift2002

In Britain "The House On the Cliff" and "The Hiiden Harbour Mystery" were only released by Harold Hill in the 1950's.  The books were Anglicized versions of Leslie McFarlane's original stories.  But for some reason none of he other British ompanies picked up the rights to the books, so the UK had to depend on G&D imports.

Hardy Sleuth

Quote from: Tomswift2002 on May 06, 2012, 08:13:19 AM
In Britain "The House On the Cliff" and "The Hiiden Harbour Mystery" were only released by Harold Hill in the 1950's.  The books were Anglicized versions of Leslie McFarlane's original stories.  But for some reason none of he other British ompanies picked up the rights to the books, so the UK had to depend on G&D imports.

That's great they imported them from America. :) With how much I enjoy the action-packed books of the Hardy Boys Mystery Stories, I know it would be really disappointing for someone to miss out. I'm very thankful that many of the Hardy Boys Mystery Stories are available around here through libraries and bookstores, two fun places to go! 8)

MacGyver

I am a big supporter of libraries and bookstores. :) 8)
(and books in general)

Hardy Sleuth

Quote from: MacGyver on May 11, 2012, 09:47:18 AM
I am a big supporter of libraries and bookstores. :) 8)
(and books in general)

Libraries and bookstores are great! ;D My whole family loves to read, a lot, so those are pretty popular places for us! 8) We always have had plenty of books in our home since I was a baby. Ok, actually since before. ;D A world of excitement and adventure and intrigue by traveling to many places, in many times, waits in the pages of a well-written book and our imaginations for us to live.  As found in action-packed Hardy Boys Mystery Stories. :)

MacGyver