March 2011 Book Club Discussion--Casefiles #9... The Genius Thieves

Started by hardygirl847, March 13, 2011, 10:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hardygirl847

AlwaysaJoeFan gets to go on a cool trip so she asked me if I could post the discussion for the book this time. :)

Remember...if you haven't read it but would like to discuss topics as we go, please feel free. But please remember SPOILERS will be in this thread.

What are your thoughts on The Genius Thieves??!

This is one of my faves. :) I think I liked it more this time than last time...and I always like this book when I read it. It's very Frank-centric. :)
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

MacGyver

"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

JoeHardyRocks

"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

AlwaysAJoefan

Whoo! I'm back! I'm going to page through it again tonight, but I'll try to post my thoughts tomorrow. I am soooo tired.  :-\ :P
Want to cure this country? Try 2 Chronicles 7:14...

hardygirl847

I think Joe's failing the entrance exam was mostly a way to make it so only 1 of them got in and was around for most of the action. Plus it allowed the surprise entrance of Joe as the janitor. It kept their cover better too, IMO.

I actually really liked that Frank and Joe had to do an exam. For one, Frank studied his butt off while Joe thought he could just ace it without touching a book.

They are BOTH smart...but Frank did put the time and effort into getting into Chartwell.

While I was rereading this book, I couldn't help but think how different the UBs are when it comes to time and effort for a case. ATAC pretty much gives them an identity to get into anywhere they need to be where as in the Casefiles (such as this one), they had to EARN their way in.

Another reason why I love the Casefiles soooo much. :) Frank and Joe didn't do everything the easy way nor did they have gadgets and goodies for convenience in situations. They had to be resourceful on their own. I'm sure there are many other instances where this differs from the UBs. I'm also sure there are instances that contradict my observation too.

I also liked that this book showed Frank's slightly more aggressive side. He got into a few fights! lol Not that he started them...but still...his anger is mentioned.

On pg. 13, Joe says they will have to be juniors when they go into Chartwell (before they find out just Frank is going). I felt like that was implying that they weren't juniors or ?? I'm not really sure. I just thought was interesting to have in there and the way it was worded.

I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

JoeHardyRocks

Quote from: hardygirl847 on March 18, 2011, 11:41:58 AM
On pg. 13, Joe says they will have to be juniors when they go into Chartwell (before they find out just Frank is going). I felt like that was implying that they weren't juniors or ?? I'm not really sure. I just thought was interesting to have in there and the way it was worded.

Maybe he meant that they would BOTH have to be juniors, I always thought Joe was a Junior and Frank was a Senior, but I'm probably wrong.... :-\
"Thank you, Joe."

hardygirl847

Well, it gets tricky.

First, Joe is telling Frank they BOTH have to be juniors, yes. Frank pretty much says that's fine.

I tend to think of Joe as a Junior and Frank as a Senior too based on their ages.

BUT in the OT bluespines, Frank is sick and has to repeat a grade. So then they are in the same grade at that point. SO I'm not sure if the Casefiles are going with the more updated Junior/Senior route which the book implies or continuing the OT version.

I know when the OTs were revised, they took Frank being sick out...didn't they??

JoeHardyRocks

Quote from: hardygirl847 on March 18, 2011, 11:56:33 AM

BUT in the OT bluespines, Frank is sick and has to repeat a grade. So then they are in the same grade at that point. SO I'm not sure if the Casefiles are going with the more updated Junior/Senior route which the book implies or continuing the OT version.

Wow I didn't know that. That's actually pretty cool, it makes them like totally equal in everything! ;D . Do you know what book that's in?

Anyway, Frank probably said it was fine because that would mean it wouldn't be too much work for him... Wow I'm confused, lol I don't know....
"Thank you, Joe."

MacGyver

QuoteBUT in the OT bluespines, Frank is sick and has to repeat a grade. So then they are in the same grade at that point. SO I'm not sure if the Casefiles are going with the more updated Junior/Senior route which the book implies or continuing the OT version.

I know when the OTs were revised, they took Frank being sick out...didn't they??
I'm pretty sure the book you're referring to is the Original Text version of The Great Airport Mystery - tomswift2002 or SDLAgent can probably confirm that for you.
But yeah- they set it up so that Frank had a disease and had to miss a whole school year (and you have to remember that this was in the 1930s when medicinal skills and advances were not quite on the same level as we have today) - I can't remember what he had for sure. I think it was diptheria.  And anyway, this put Frank and Joe both in the same grade, despite their 1 year age difference. Remember, Frank was originally 16  and Joe was 15 in the OT books.
      In the revised text, it was always stated that Frank was 18 and Joe was 17 and I'm pretty sure there were mentions at various times of Frank being a senior and Joe a junior. I know they made this clear in the Digests and I'm thinking they may also have mentioned it in the Casefiles as well. If you have access to it, you might check Bad Chemistry and Wild Wheels and Toxic Revenge and False Alarm - a few that just came to mind that are primarily set at Bayport High School (or at least have some scenes there.)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

AlwaysAJoefan

I've just always thought of Frank as 18 and Joe as 17. No matter what HB book I read.  ::) ;)

MacGyver

Even The Clues Brothers and Secret Files? ;D (Sorry- couldn't resist.)

AlwaysAJoefan

Quote from: MacGyver on March 19, 2011, 12:56:01 AM
Even The Clues Brothers and Secret Files? ;D (Sorry- couldn't resist.)

Never read those. What exactly are they?  ???

MacGyver

Younger kid versions of The Hardy Boys where Frank and Joe are depicted at the ages of 9 and 8, respectively.

AlwaysAJoefan

Quote from: MacGyver on March 19, 2011, 12:31:14 PM
Younger kid versions of The Hardy Boys where Frank and Joe are depicted at the ages of 9 and 8, respectively.

Oh, well of course they wouldn't be 17 and 18.  ::) ;)

hardygirl847

Quote from: MacGyver on March 18, 2011, 01:31:13 PM
I'm pretty sure the book you're referring to is the Original Text version of The Great Airport Mystery - tomswift2002 or SDLAgent can probably confirm that for you.
But yeah- they set it up so that Frank had a disease and had to miss a whole school year (and you have to remember that this was in the 1930s when medicinal skills and advances were not quite on the same level as we have today) - I can't remember what he had for sure. I think it was diptheria.  And anyway, this put Frank and Joe both in the same grade, despite their 1 year age difference. Remember, Frank was originally 16  and Joe was 15 in the OT books.
      In the revised text, it was always stated that Frank was 18 and Joe was 17 and I'm pretty sure there were mentions at various times of Frank being a senior and Joe a junior. I know they made this clear in the Digests and I'm thinking they may also have mentioned it in the Casefiles as well. If you have access to it, you might check Bad Chemistry and Wild Wheels and Toxic Revenge and False Alarm - a few that just came to mind that are primarily set at Bayport High School (or at least have some scenes there.)

I thought it was leukemia?? Oh well...anyways...I just thought it was strange how Joe put it. If they are going with the Jr and Sr thing...then Frank would have to go down a grade in order to be in Chartwell. Maybe that's what they were trying to say. Thanks for the references and such, Mac. :)

Quote from: AlwaysAJoefan on March 18, 2011, 04:44:43 PM
I've just always thought of Frank as 18 and Joe as 17. No matter what HB book I read.  ::) ;)

Me too. With the exception of the Secret Files and Clues Brothers though. :)

They're actually very cute but more for the elementary grades. Casefiles would be at least middle school aged appropriate, don't you think? Some of them for sure...maybe not all of them.