Scholastic and HBs

Started by hardygirl847, April 17, 2010, 02:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hardygirl847

In another thread I mention that the new Secret Files series popped up in a Scholastic book club order form I have. I also just found an ebay link that have an OLD scholastic book up for sale.

View it here....

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-SCHOLASTIC-NANCY-DREW-AND-THE-HARDY-BOYS_W0QQitemZ390102110574QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Childrens_Books?hash=item5ad3e5d16e
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

SDLagent

Interesting. Never seen one like that! Someone I know owns a Scholastic edition of The House on the Cliff, but it looks more or less the same as the regular edition...

EDIT: I guess this is something like The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Annuals they used to have in the UK, eh?

tomswift2002

Quote from: hardygirl847 on April 17, 2010, 02:08:56 PM
In another thread I mention that the new Secret Files series popped up in a Scholastic book club order form I have. I also just found an ebay link that have an OLD scholastic book up for sale.

View it here....

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-SCHOLASTIC-NANCY-DREW-AND-THE-HARDY-BOYS_W0QQitemZ390102110574QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Childrens_Books?hash=item5ad3e5d16e

I've got this book in by collection and I was mentioning it on the other thread about Scholastic.  I've never read any of the annuals, but from what I've heard those were either all-new stories or anthologized versions of the episodes of the 1977-1979 TV series.

But this book, if you come across it, you should read it since it is basically the "bonus features" that have been missing from the 2 DVD releases of the series.  There is a chapter each on Parker Stevenson, Shaun Cassidy and Pamela Sue Martin (the book was written during the first season, so Janet Louise Johnson had not yet replaced Pamela Sue Martin), plus there are short chapters on the history of both the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew series as well as the Stratemeyer Syndicate and other series, such as Tom Swift and the Rover Boys.  But then there were also a few chapters on the writing and production of the series, including why they didn't use the book plots of certain episodes, but used the title of the book (even though one of the episodes used a book title that didn't have anything to do with the story).

I've also got a copy of the Scholastic edition of The House On The Cliff from 1992, so it is a flashlight, but it actually contains the plot write-up on the back cover instead of the usual first 6 titles of the series and then the push to read the book and check out the other 52 titles.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

I've got that book and I agree- it's definitely a nice little companion to The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries show DVD releases. (Though I still would've liked to have seen other extras included.) Wait- they still have that chance if Universal ever releases the 3rd. Season!
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

hardygirl847

That sounds awesome!! And MacGyver...I am not holding my breath on Season 3. I noticed there was more information listed for it on Netflix but that's about it. No release date or anything like that. *sigh* Will they ever release it? I don't know but at least I know there is a book that compliments it. :) Thanks!
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

tomswift2002

Oh yeah, some people have told me that in the second season of the show the book underwent some minor revisions and was reissued with the title The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew instead of the first title of Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

tomswift2002

Considering that we are talking about the behind-the-scenes book of the 1977 Hardy Boys Nancy Drew Mysteries here, on another Hardy Boys forum that I'm on James Keeline posted this new link to an interview with the producers of the show, as well as some of the actors like Parker Stevenson:

http://www.denofgeek.com/television/468349/the_hardy_boysnancy_drew_mysteries.html

hardygirl847

Thanks a bunch for sharing this!!

"The biggest mistake I made was canceling your show." ---- YEAH! Definitely true statement. How about releasing the last season????

"Who wants to see the Hardy Boys old?," she asks. "What worked about them was they were innocent, young, smart kids. That's what worked when the books were written in the 30s and 40s." Then Lockhart was informed that The Hardy Men, if it ever gets made, will be a starring vehicle for Tom Cruise and Ben Stiller. "Oh please

YES YES YES!! THANK YOU for agreeing!!! :)

tomswift2002

Quote from: hardygirl847 on April 22, 2010, 06:42:22 PM
"The biggest mistake I made was canceling your show." ---- YEAH! Definitely true statement. How about releasing the last season????

You realize that came from a former ABC exec who, unless they are working at Universal now, would have no control over the 3rd season.

But in a way ABC sort of pulled a "Star Trek" (NBC cancellation of Star Trek in 1969 and their subsequent attempts to revive the series) manuever with The Hardy Boys Nancy Drew Mysteries in terms of the ratings. 

MacGyver

Cool! Thanks for the link! The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries is probably my favorite media portrayal of these characters, so it's really nice to find an article like this about the show. :) 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

hardygirl847

Quote from: tomswift2002 on April 22, 2010, 06:48:53 PM
You realize that came from a former ABC exec who, unless they are working at Universal now, would have no control over the 3rd season.

But in a way ABC sort of pulled a "Star Trek" (NBC cancellation of Star Trek in 1969 and their subsequent attempts to revive the series) manuever with The Hardy Boys Nancy Drew Mysteries in terms of the ratings. 

OK well I will ask anyone and everyone until it comes out!! :) Someone out there will here me eventually...I HOPE. :)

Quote from: MacGyver on April 22, 2010, 07:45:56 PM
Cool! Thanks for the link! The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries is probably my favorite media portrayal of these characters, so it's really nice to find an article like this about the show. :) 8)

Agreed! :)